Shifting Problems

Old July 8th 05, 05:46 PM
Naaman G. Landers

Default Shifting Problems

I am running an old 12 speed shimano drive train. Recently I notice that the
train feels rough as I shift into the lower gears. Thus far it is not
skipping, autoshifting, or failing to cover all gear combos. Any ideas??

Old July 8th 05, 06:22 PM
Pat

"Naaman G. Landers" wrote in message
: I am running an old 12 speed shimano drive train. Recently I notice that
the
: train feels rough as I shift into the lower gears. Thus far it is not
: skipping, autoshifting, or failing to cover all gear combos. Any ideas??

Sounds like a front derailleur problem to me. have you tried lubrication or
cleaning?

Pat in TX
:
:

Old July 8th 05, 06:42 PM
Neil Brooks

"Naaman G. Landers" wrote:

I am running an old 12 speed shimano drive train. Recently I notice that the
train feels rough as I shift into the lower gears. Thus far it is not
skipping, autoshifting, or failing to cover all gear combos. Any ideas??

Worn cogs on the cassette? Take a look at the teeth (and the gums,
while you're there).
Old July 8th 05, 10:25 PM
Sheldon Brown

Naaman G. Landers wrote:

I am running an old 12 speed shimano drive train. Recently I notice that the
train feels rough as I shift into the lower gears. Thus far it is not
skipping, autoshifting, or failing to cover all gear combos. Any ideas??

Sounds as if the "B tension" screw is too loose, so that the chain is
getting trapped between the jockey pulley and the large rear sprocket.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment for detailed instructions.

Sheldon "Shifty" Brown
| I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility |
| of anything. --T.H. Huxley |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide