Is Mountain Biking Healthful Exercise?

Old December 16th 12, 06:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Is Mountain Biking Healthful Exercise?

By studying the positive effects and ignoring the negative effects, mountain bikers and corrupt scientists have promoted the idea that mountain biking is good for your health and for the environment. We know better. How much cardiovascular benefit is required, in order to "balance" one premature death??? Personally, I don't think that any amount of "health benefit" is equal to the value of a human or animal or plant life. Life is priceless! It's not considered polite to criticize someone who has died, but this guy was in fact just plain irresponsible.

Mike

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1011...n_biker_d ad/

Tributes paid to Stephen Major, 55

6:52am Saturday 15th December 2012 in News By Richard Catton,
Stephen Major with his wife Jackie and daughters Nicole, left, and Olivia, right

WARM tributes have been paid to a father-of-two who died suddenly while mountain biking on one of his favourite routes through Dalby Forest.

Stephen Major, 55, who was well- known in Malton for his love of the outdoors and extreme sports, died last Saturday despite the best efforts of fellow bikers and paramedics to save his life.

His sister, Linda Waddington, 58, said: “He was an avid mountain biker who spent every weekend out in Dalby Forest. Last weekend he wasn’t out with his usual partners. He went out on his own, but met some guys he knew. He sped off and they found him ten minutes after they set off.”

Mr Major is survived by his wife of 16 years, Jackie, and daughters Nicole, 18, and Olivia, 14.

Mrs Major said: “He was very fit. In fact in the last couple of weeks he said he felt the fittest he had ever been. He was keen on hang-gliding and paragliding. He just loved being outdoors.

“He was a very successful businessman. He was such a popular and well-liked guy.”

His sister described him as an “adrenaline junkie” and said he loved to do things which “got him buzzing.”

“It’s such a tragic loss,” she said.

“It never should have been.”

Nephew Dale Waddington, 27, said: “This is a devastating time for the family. We lost our granddad last year and Steve sort of took on the role of head of the family. Something like this shouldn’t have happened because he was such an athlete.”

Mr Major, a former pupil of Malton Secondary Modern, started his working life as an apprentice electrician before going on to start up his own successful business, Major Electrical, and he was well known to many in Malton.

Mrs Waddington said: “He was the most genuine man you could ever want to meet. He said it the way it was.

“He was a big family man. He loved his wife and his girls and his nieces and nephews.”

Mr Major’s funeral will take place on Monday, at 3pm, at the East Riding Crematorium in Octon.

His family would like to thank the bikers, paramedics and members of the mountain rescue team who tried to save his life. They have also asked for those attending the funeral to make donations to the British Heart Foundation, instead of sending flowers.
Old December 17th 12, 06:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:03:23 PM UTC-5, Mike Vandeman wrote:
It's not considered polite to criticize someone who has died, but this guy was in fact just plain irresponsible.

Mike

In June 2010, Michael J. Vandeman was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon against a mountain biker.

http://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...52810-37NC.htm

He was subsequently found guilty of exhibiting a deadly weapon and battery.
Old December 18th 12, 04:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:03:23 PM UTC, Mike Vandeman wrote:
By studying the positive effects and ignoring the negative effects, mountain bikers and corrupt scientists have promoted the idea that mountain biking is good for your health and for the environment. We know better. How much cardiovascular benefit is required, in order to "balance" one premature death??? Personally, I don't think that any amount of "health benefit" is equal to the value of a human or animal or plant life. Life is priceless! It's not considered polite to criticize someone who has died, but this guy was in fact just plain irresponsible.

What utter nonsense. The developed world's number one killer is Ischaemic Heart Disease with 15.6% of all deaths. Hypertensive Heart Disease also appears lower in the list with 2.3%. (Figures from World Health Organisation)

Therefore, statistically (I believe you claim to know some maths), you are massively improving your chances of a long and healthy life by taking strenuous activity such as Mountainbiking. It is not risk free ... nothing is .... but the risks of inactivity are an order of magnitude higher.
Old December 18th 12, 06:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:31:33 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:03:23 PM UTC, Mike Vandeman wrote: By studying the positive effects and ignoring the negative effects, mountain bikers and corrupt scientists have promoted the idea that mountain biking is good for your health and for the environment. We know better. How much cardiovascular benefit is required, in order to "balance" one premature death??? Personally, I don't think that any amount of "health benefit" is equal to the value of a human or animal or plant life. Life is priceless! It's not considered polite to criticize someone who has died, but this guy was in fact just plain irresponsible. What utter nonsense. The developed world's number one killer is Ischaemic Heart Disease with 15.6% of all deaths. Hypertensive Heart Disease also appears lower in the list with 2.3%. (Figures from World Health Organisation) Therefore, statistically (I believe you claim to know some maths), you are massively improving your chances of a long and healthy life by taking strenuous activity such as Mountainbiking. It is not risk free ... nothing is ... but the risks of inactivity are an order of magnitude higher.

Not if you end up DEAD! Are you really THAT dense??? You are ASSUMING that you don't have an accident while mountain biking. That's why your math is totally wrong. Get your head out of the sand. Better yet, leave it there, and end up dead. Sheesh.
Old December 19th 12, 02:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade

It is not risk free ... nothing is ... but the risks of inactivity are an order of magnitude higher.

Not if you end up DEAD! Are you really THAT dense??? You are ASSUMING that you don't have an accident while mountain biking. That's why your math is totally wrong. Get your head out of the sand. Better yet, leave it there, and end up dead. Sheesh.

I'm assuming nothing of the kind. I am simply pointing out that the risks of ending up dead prematurely are IMPROVED by taking strenuous exercise DESPITE the inherent risk of such activity. The risk of ending up dead from heart disease is orders of magnitude higher than the risk of mountain biking..
Old December 19th 12, 05:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:15:21 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
It is not risk free ... nothing is ... but the risks of inactivity are an order of magnitude higher. Not if you end up DEAD! Are you really THAT dense??? You are ASSUMING that you don't have an accident while mountain biking. That's why your math is totally wrong. Get your head out of the sand. Better yet, leave it there, and end up dead. Sheesh. I'm assuming nothing of the kind. I am simply pointing out that the risks of ending up dead prematurely are IMPROVED by taking strenuous exercise DESPITE the inherent risk of such activity. The risk of ending up dead from heart disease is orders of magnitude higher than the risk of mountain biking.

PROOF? You just FABRICATED that idea from thin air. "LIAR" is all mountain bikers' middle name.
Old December 20th 12, 11:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade

PROOF? You just FABRICATED that idea from thin air. "LIAR" is all mountain bikers' middle name.

You are really hard of understanding these days - perhaps this thinking lark is getting beyond you ! I posted the proof in this thread you idiot. Remember "Ischaemic heart disease ..." ???? I thought, as an educated man, I wouldn't have to walk you through the logical steps one by one but, clearly, you are reverting to kindergarten so here goes ...

Ischaemic Heart Disease is the NUMBER ONE killer in the developed world. You are more likely to die of that than anything else ... therefore, axiomatically, all other risks (including that of dying from a strenuous activity) are lesser. Therefore, any action you take to avoid dying of Ischaemic Heart Disease improves your chances. However, cardiovascular oriented sports such as running, mountainbiking, swimming (vigorous) etc are particularly beneficial.

Road traffic accidents don't even make it into the top 10 for developed countries ... and only at No. 10 for world averaged ... at 2.1%. And road traffic accidents are far far far higher than deaths from mountainbiking which are a blip on a blip on a blip.

So, taking up mountainbiking, as opposed to sitting and doing nothing, drastically IMPROVES your survival rate. It also, and happily, will tend to mean that you enjoy your life rather more ... seeing as you will be taking exercise in beautiful scenery, with good friends and finding you have much more energy to enjoy your other activities.

Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Old December 20th 12, 06:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:25:32 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
PROOF? You just FABRICATED that idea from thin air. "LIAR" is all mountain bikers' middle name. You are really hard of understanding these days - perhaps this thinking lark is getting beyond you ! I posted the proof in this thread you idiot. Remember "Ischaemic heart disease ..." ???? I thought, as an educated man, I wouldn't have to walk you through the logical steps one by one but, clearly, you are reverting to kindergarten so here goes ... Ischaemic Heart Disease is the NUMBER ONE killer in the developed world. You are more likely to die of that than anything else ... therefore, axiomatically, all other risks (including that of dying from a strenuous activity) are lesser. Therefore, any action you take to avoid dying of Ischaemic Heart Disease improves your chances. However, cardiovascular oriented sports such as running, mountainbiking, swimming (vigorous) etc are particularly beneficial. Road traffic accidents don't even make it into the top 10 for developed countries ... and only at No. 10 for world averaged ... at 2.1%. And road traffic accidents are far far far higher than deaths from mountainbiking which are a blip on a blip on a blip. So, taking up mountainbiking, as opposed to sitting and doing nothing, drastically IMPROVES your survival rate. It also, and happily, will tend to mean that you enjoy your life rather more ... seeing as you will be taking exercise in beautiful scenery, with good friends and finding you have much more energy to enjoy your other activities. Quad Erat Demonstrandum

You couldn't reason your way out of a paper bag. The only question is whether mountain biking provides a NET benefit. We all know exercise is beneficial, provided there are no other factors. But in the case of mountain biking, there ARE other factors: serious injuries and DEATHS. When you subtract the HARMS from the BENEFITS, you get only HARM. Without statistics, you are just fabricating.

As to the beautiful scenery, only hikers & equestrians are able to enjoy it.. Mountain bikers are doing nothing but looking at the trail directly in front of them, & have no time to "enjoy scenery". Every once in a while, a mountain biker accidentally tells the truth & admits that. You aren't that honest.
Old December 20th 12, 10:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade

You couldn't reason your way out of a paper bag. The only question is whether mountain biking provides a NET benefit. We all know exercise is beneficial, provided there are no other factors. But in the case of mountain biking, there ARE other factors: serious injuries and DEATHS. When you subtract the HARMS from the BENEFITS, you get only HARM. Without statistics, you are just fabricating.

I have already quoted the statistics, and their source ... and you just don't understand them.

Because the number one risk is mitigated any lesser risk is still just that ... lesser.

Hence, you are on the right track but you have it the wrong way around; the HARM is much, much less than the BENEFIT ... therefore you have a massive net BENEFIT.

Are you really this dense or just trolling again ????
Old December 20th 12, 10:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade

As to the beautiful scenery, only hikers & equestrians are able to enjoy it. Mountain bikers are doing nothing but looking at the trail directly in front of them, & have no time to "enjoy scenery". Every once in a while, a mountain biker accidentally tells the truth & admits that. You aren't that honest.

You've never heard of peripheral vision ?????