SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 12th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-11 22:28, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:55:14 -0700, Joerg wrote:

I have panniers mounted permanently and they have a cross-canvas that
catches mud on the road bike.

My custom front paniers are like that.

Custom, wow! Mine are ordinary Nashbar editions.

Shower caps are good for that. Either pick one up from Walmart or
similar or the free ones from motel/hotel. Just pack it in a side
pocket on the handlbar bag or pocket in a pannier. Or place inside the
loo roll, which is in a plastic bag anyway.

I'd sweat profusely plus plastic gives me skin rashes.

Err, the shower cap goes over the helmet. it really just blocks up the
holes, so there is no real skin contact

Yes, good idea because that's how I use the plastic bag. Hey, I could
buy a shower cap with a mohawk style and scare the heck out of people :-)

I usually carry a
plastic bag and a rubber band. But you know how it is, looking into the
sky, nah, nothing's gonna happen today. And then it does.

That is why you want something that just sits out of the way all the time.

The shower cap over the helmet is a good idea, doesn't need a rubber band.

I use a standard Bell cycling helmet.

Buy a shower cap that fits it and give your head a new "skin". choose the
right one and give everyone else a mental lift in the foul weather. I
know from experience that "flowers' work well.

Flowers? Now that I won't do :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 12th 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-11 22:35, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:55:14 -0700, Joerg wrote:

On the MTB there are several panels plus a loading platform, so no
splatters either. The problem is the front tire.
Some day I might make a custom guard for that. The stuff you can buy for
MTB is too floppy.

Perspex. Years ago someone gave me some off cuts for the purpose there
of. both the shop plastic and metal were too thin and not wide enough,
but ther perspex was cut to width needed.

On my MTB I use Perspex as the top plate to push down on the pannier
hooks with spring action. Rubber is slid over the hooks. That way
nothing rattles like it does on the Ortlieb panniers.

Meantime that setup is has changed but not in the way it's cinched down.
A support strut from the seat tube to the rack, a smaller battery box,
an extra top loading platform and usually a trunk-style case on top of
that. All bolted down for rough trail riding and nothing ever came off.

Also had the other advantage that it was a flat surface and you could
carve out any mud that built up under the fenders. One tour we did had
all the fenders taken off as the alternative was walk 100', carve out
mud, then repeat.

Just be careful to round all edges very well. One guy didn't and slit a
calf muscle almost all the way through in a crash.

Old October 12th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-12 07:29, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-10-11 22:35, news18 wrote:
[...]

Sorry, forgot the photo:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Rack1.JPG

Old October 12th 18, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/12/2018 10:29 AM, Joerg wrote, regarding home made fenders:

Just be careful to round all edges very well. One guy didn't and slit a
calf muscle almost all the way through in a crash.

Oh, the horrible DANGER! DANGER! of homemade fenders!

OTOH, one might use the razor-sharp fender edges to fend off mountain
lions. Advantages, disadvantages... it's all so complicated!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 12th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/12/2018 7:19 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

I lose respect for people who call me or others liars without any proof.
Therefore, EOD.

LOL, you don't get the irony of a person complaining about someone using
anecdotes as "proof," when that individual's presence on Usenet over the
years has been based on promoting anecdotal evidence and dismissing
scientific, peer-reviewed studies with minor unsubstantiated complaints
about the methodology.

Now, as an elected official, I constantly see this sort of thing from
residents, businesses, and officials, promoting something. Ignore all
the evidence and use anecdotes; when it's pointed out to you that you
are wrong, change the subject.
Old October 12th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/12/2018 7:30 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-10-12 07:29, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-10-11 22:35, news18 wrote:
[...]

OMG, I recognize that dollar store rear light
https://dollarempirellc.com/images/12836.JPG
https://dollarempirellc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=700
Old October 12th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good lights throughout
the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash mode.

Speaking of visible enough: My wife and I just returned from a little
ride. We rode out to the suburban branch of our credit union to cash a
check, then a bit beyond it into sort of semi-rural roads. We returned
by different roads. We were on some quiet residential streets, some
former farm roads that are now short cuts to housing developments, a bit
on an arterial road or two with 50 mph traffic, etc. Quite a few miles
were on lanes that were obviously too narrow to share (like 9 feet wide)
so we rode at lane center.

As usual, we had no problems with any drivers. (Well, except a couple
who were clogging things up while they seemed to be looking for
entrances to some obscure businesses). And there was absolutely no
indication that anyone had any trouble seeing us.

Apparently, we were visible enough. Our bikes both had dynamo powered
lights, but neither of us had them on.

Some people are not so lucky in the lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGD5P_LHEHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqysSwOcIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbbiRxoWR4

You can find videos of almost anything on the web.

It's called facts. Two university mates of mine were rear-ended in the
lane. One lost a kidney, the other had a ruptured spleen. At least in
one case the driver stuck around, something that doesn't appear popular
anymore these days.

Permission to stick head back into sand granted.

BTW, do you really ride a bike? On the road? Are you telling us that you never take the lane?

If I don't take the lane in some places, its dangerous. https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...c1ab8d08_b.jpg Most of my commute this morning was riding in the middle of the road, which was basically the only place where one could ride. If I got far right, cars would have been squeezing by with about two inches of clearance, if any. Yes, I know you would take a gnarly trail or not ride at all for fifteen years or move to some cardboard town in the middle of Nevada nuclear test site to get away from it all. For the rest of us folks who live in population centers, however, taking the lane is not only reasonable under certain circumstances, it is the only safe thing to do. Permission to stick head back in sand granted.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 12th 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/12/2018 8:53 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

If I don't take the lane in some places, its dangerous. https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...c1ab8d08_b.jpg Most of my commute this morning was riding in the middle of the road, which was basically the only place where one could ride. If I got far right, cars would have been squeezing by with about two inches of clearance, if any. Yes, I know you would take a gnarly trail or not ride at all for fifteen years or move to some cardboard town in the middle of Nevada nuclear test site to get away from it all. For the rest of us folks who live in population centers, however, taking the lane is not only reasonable under certain circumstances, it is the only safe thing to do. Permission to stick head back in sand granted.

True. https://goo.gl/maps/BLvEMXcXvuG2 the "subway" under US101 on the
north side of the Golden Gate Bridge. A popular cycling route.
Old October 13th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 10:49:00 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/12/2018 10:29 AM, Joerg wrote, regarding home made fenders:

Just be careful to round all edges very well. One guy didn't and slit a
calf muscle almost all the way through in a crash.

Oh, the horrible DANGER! DANGER! of homemade fenders!

OTOH, one might use the razor-sharp fender edges to fend off mountain
lions. Advantages, disadvantages... it's all so complicated!

No Frank. You use the razor edge of your brake disk to decapitate
mounting lions. Fenders are too limber to make a good weapon.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old October 13th 18, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-12 07:29, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-10-11 22:35, news18 wrote:
[...]

Yeah, with modded innards. But that shattered into smittereens when the
rear blew out one day. Now it's a better light.