29" Discussion thread

Old April 5th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibob

Default 29" Discussion thread

semach.the.monkey wrote:
If this is the big hill oposite the golf course, then I'd suggest lots
of practice on smaller hills, picking up a cheap set of Maguras from
eBay, and life insurance.

STM

Don't worry about life insurance! My wife, who bought me a uni as a
joke has now doubled up on all that jazz.

Thought about brakes a bit, are they worth it and are they difficult to
use?

Did a 10km ride on Friday afternoon and it was great. Loads of positive
reactions and a couple of idiotic reactions but felt more and more
comfortabel all the time.

Glad I bought this now.

--
unibob

UniBob
http://www.unibob.net
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 5th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

unibob wrote:
Don't worry about life insurance! My wife, who bought me a uni as a joke
has now doubled up on all that jazz.

Thought about brakes a bit, are they worth it and are they difficult to
use?

Did a 10km ride on Friday afternoon and it was great. Loads of positive
reactions and a couple of idiotic reactions but felt more and more
comfortabel all the time.

Glad I bought this now.

I would say a brake is totaly worth it but only if your doing Muni/XC
down steep terain. Road riding you will probably almost never use it.

I made another 29er vid, bit of off-roading.....
http://www.vimeo.com/846009

--
sp4rky-m4rky

my 'Year in vid'
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)
UniDudeDX wrote:
but how does it feel??

Munivision wrote:
Really great!

UniDudeDX wrote:
quickies normaly do...

http://www.usenet.com
Old April 5th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

I've had my KH29 for several months now and I still haven't worked up
the nerve to try the magura brake.
I guess the trails I do aren't that extreme.
Except for once, when I wasn't concentrating and the uni ran away from
underneath me before I could back-pedal.
And after a spectacular UPD, as I was lying on the forest floor curled
up in a world of my own personal pain, I remember I thought "Hmm, maybe
I should have a go at that brake thing one day."

--
Into the blue

ok you primitive screwheads, listen up! you see this? this... is my
boomstick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0nwe...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0fi...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuqqs0bszy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0jynznbl0q
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 5th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

Into the blue wrote:
I've had my KH29 for several months now and I still haven't worked up
the nerve to try the magura brake.
I guess the trails I do aren't that extreme.
Except for once, when I wasn't concentrating and the uni ran away from
underneath me before I could back-pedal.
And after a spectacular UPD, as I was lying on the forest floor curled
up in a world of my own personal pain, I remember I thought "Hmm, maybe
I should have a go at that brake thing one day."

Haha, I use my brake quite a bit, in that vid I was braking quite a bit
down most of the slopes, they were quite steep though. They are so much
steeper that the vid makes them look, they were close to the limit of
my climbing abilitys.

I dont think I have ever realy used my brake when riding on the road,
apart from when I see how hard I can hold the break on and still ride,
thats fun, feels realy cool

--
sp4rky-m4rky

my 'Year in vid'
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)
UniDudeDX wrote:
but how does it feel??

Munivision wrote:
Really great!

UniDudeDX wrote:
quickies normaly do...

http://www.usenet.com
Old April 5th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gkmac

Into the blue wrote:
I've had my KH29 for several months now and I still haven't worked up
the nerve to try the magura brake.

I had brakes on both my 24" muni and 29er for several months before I
used them. I use them as drag brakes on long steep downhills to save
leg strength, but never to bring the uni to a stop.

Find a steep-ish slope that goes on for a fair bit and ride down it.
You need to place you finger on the lever, and very very slowly and
very very gently increase the pressure while riding down the slope,
until it feels like the brake is about half-way in.

It won't feel like it's helping at all, but then try letting go of the
brake all at once and you'll feel a jerk sensation in your legs as they
suddenly need more strength to keep the speed down.

Try it several times with different finger pressures on the brake,
remembering to apply it very very slowly and very very gently.

--
gkmac

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
"As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
mikepenton
"Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 12th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibob

Wow 9.7miles on my 29er!

I'm knackerd and I've got a saddle sore arse! I've just been to help a
friend out with his pc and he lives 5.7miles away. I set off at 7:30pm
and got there at 8:20pm. Not bad for me that.

Fixed his pc, had a lager then jumped back on my KH29er at 10:15pm. Got
4.2 miles back and I had to stop, my underkeks were chafing slightly
more than I could take. Walked the reset and jst got in now.

I found I didn't lean to the right anymore, I learnt that if i put the
majority of my weight in the seat,I could get some good speed up and
give my legs a bit of a rest. I also noticed that I didn't have to
hold onto the handle on the front of my saddle as much, and there was
less flailing arm action.

I think it's true that Practice makes perfect. Not that I'm perfect,
but I only had one real UPD. Some roads I managed to cross without
dismounting too, but cos it was dark I had to be careful.

Who knows maybe I'll crack 15 miles next time. Thanks for your support
guys!

Bob

--
unibob

UniBob
http://www.unibob.net
Old April 12th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

'29er muni...' (http://www.vimeo.com/888423)

--
jamessd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsb3y-YOSk
Add me, but tel me who you are :

Kieron wrote:
I tell u wat they would have to be a very commited pedo to learn to ride
a unicycle in order to mingle with us, steel one of us and rape us in a
bush.

Old April 13th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SqueakyOnion

Just about two weeks ago I got my Nimbus ISIS 29" from UDC.

I fell in love with it almost immediately. I use it for cruising around
campus to all my classes, and riding easy trails on the weekends.

The stock 125mm cranks are great for trails, but I bought a pair of
100mm Qu-Ax cranks.

Also, I've swapped out the Nimbus gel for a KH Freeride, which I like a
lot better.

For trails, I bought a Mountain King 29 MTB tire.

I've been averaging 20-30 miles per weekend on the trails, getting me
some much needed exercise. I may eventually get a 36er, but I think
I'll be a part of the 29er fan club from here on out.

--
SqueakyOnion

Ever been knocked off your unicycle by a 50mph gust of wind? I have. It
blew.

UNT Sophomore - Euphonium Performance

I am not a Texan. I'm a Pennsylvanian!
Old April 13th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

SqueakyOnion wrote:

I may eventually get a 36er, but I think I'll be a part of the 29er fan
club from here on out.

The two are not mutually exclusive. I love my 36 and I belong to the
29er fan club

--
cathwood

Cathy
Old April 15th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

I officially joined the 29ers today

I've had a KH29 boxed for the last week or so (got it as a stock
clearance item) but have been enjoying the KH24 so much I didn't want
to risk spoiling any of the fun I guess! We live on the edge of a
forest and jumping on the 24 and heading out into the bush is just
awesome. I try to get a ride in each day, love it.

The nearest town of a few hundred people is a few km away. We're down
to one car these days, so I got the 29 as my run around vehicle, to
head into the local store as well as do longer commutes for work etc.
Well, that's how I explained it to my wife anyway

So I succumbed today and assembled the KH29, fitted a Big Apple tire
and took it out for a few km's... man I love it. The extra mass,
momentum, smoothness and speed is bliss, and still easy to handle. Even
for a tool like me mounting was no problem, straight up. I checked out
both 125 and 150 crank settings - the 125's were a hoot, but with big
dirt and tar hills to climb out of where we are in every direction,
I'll probably settle on the 150's, initially anyway. Brakes are
probably going to be handy too.

I followed up with a stint on the KH24, hoping it wouldn't feel as
funky as the 20" does after the 24 (I don't ride my 20 much at all
these days, apart from occasionally inside the house to terrorize my
wife, kids and pets). But man I love the 24 too, it still felt great
after the stint on the 29 but I had a new and immediate sense of
improved control I guess, or maybe just a far better appreciation of
how nimble the 24" really is. So relative hey!

First impression is that the 29 is awesome, and that for me the KH24
and KH29 are going to be a great combination. The 29 also confirmed the
nagging desire to try a 36 one day, but for now and a long while to
come, I'm set.

Uni's rock, whatever size!

--
lunicycle