Just a data point, nothing more

Old August 22nd 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

Default Just a data point, nothing more

On Aug 21, 2:31*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

A world that thinks differently than rbr believes they should think. Or says
they think. Who knew.

Whether it is RBR or the world in general, there is a huge "Boxer"
factor*.
Be it religious "faith" or some other adopted perspective. And every
individual espousing beliefs or bias in this manner will
wholeheartedly assert "It's not just faith, it's the truth."

I just dealt with this on a scale far exceeding any piddly RBR
bickering.
One of the 10 aid workers killed in Afghanistan a bit over two weeks
ago was a close personal friend. He had NO religious or political
agenda whatsoever, just a willingness and desire to do good things for
people who could benefit from his help. His killing was justified by
his killer's "faith" that there was a religious motive.

DR

*Simon & Garfunkel -"The Boxer" - "...Still a man hears what he wants
to hear and disregards the rest."
Old August 22nd 10, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
H. Fred Kveck

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

"ronaldo_jeremiah" wrote in message
On Aug 21, 5:50 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

You have no idea how he can work an audience. He kisses the women,
he poses with their babies for photos, he engages in friendly
conversation,
he smiles. In short, he is charismatic beyond belief in such situations.

I cannot think of an American parallel.

=====
Dumbass -

Bill Clinton.

-rj
=====

Seriously? I'm not so sure. I don't think Clinton hit the bottom quite so
hard. Even at its worst, he still seemed to be made of teflon. He can only
wish that she had been (since teflon doesn't hold stains).

You know that the entire time the Republicans in Congress were busy tut-tutting
about that and impeaching him, Clinton's poll numbers were still sky high. Like 66%
or so. So, while I agree with you that he never "really hit bottom," it's really only
a matter of perspective. Yes, that was a seriously embarassing episode but it didn't
seem to really make much of difference to how the public perceived him. But I'll
still agree with RJ that he's a good parallel.
Old August 22nd 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
Just remember, this is a nation that holds Richard Virenque in esteem.

-rj

And we are a nation that elected W twice. I think that means they're
_way_ better than us.

-S-

Old August 22nd 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steven Bornfeld

On 8/21/2010 10:15 PM, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Aug 21, 2:31 pm, "Mike
wrote:

[...]

So sorry to hear this.

Steve
Old August 22nd 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:

Just remember, this is a nation that holds Richard Virenque in esteem.

and François-Marie Arouet aka Voltaire.

One day Voltaire was feeling a bit peaked and remained
in bed. A physician stopped by to see him. In fact
Voltair was sick. Not to put to fine a point on it, but
there was a priest there too. The priest says "Francois,
renounce the devil." Voltaire says "I am too old to be
making new enemies."

--
Michael Press
Old August 22nd 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
H. Fred Kveck

wrote:

A world that thinks differently than rbr believes they should think. Or says
they think. Who knew.

Whether it is RBR or the world in general, there is a huge "Boxer"
factor*.
Be it religious "faith" or some other adopted perspective. And every
individual espousing beliefs or bias in this manner will
wholeheartedly assert "It's not just faith, it's the truth."

It certainly makes life seem easier for those kinds of people. It saves you the
time and trouble spent looking at other perspectives.

I just dealt with this on a scale far exceeding any piddly RBR
bickering.
One of the 10 aid workers killed in Afghanistan a bit over two weeks
ago was a close personal friend. He had NO religious or political
agenda whatsoever, just a willingness and desire to do good things for
people who could benefit from his help. His killing was justified by
his killer's "faith" that there was a religious motive.

****, I'm sorry to read that. It's really unfortunate that a person whom was so
certain of their "rightness" was so willing to kill to prove it. That, sadly, makes
it hard for others that think the way your friend did be willing to go do what they
know is right: helping others.
Old August 22nd 10, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

I can't make sense of it either. Sorry for your loss.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 22nd 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred on a stick

On 8/21/2010 7:06 PM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

When I'm in France I say things I think will make the people I'm
casually talking with feel good, too. Why would I want to pick a fight
with store keepers?

Picking a fight? Them with me? Kinda backwards! They were pro-Lance, I
was the skeptic.

Dumbass,

Did they know you were a skeptic before they offered their opinion?
Old August 22nd 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Fred on a stick" wrote in message
On 8/21/2010 7:06 PM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

When I'm in France I say things I think will make the people I'm
casually talking with feel good, too. Why would I want to pick a
fight
with store keepers?

Picking a fight? Them with me? Kinda backwards! They were pro-Lance,
was the skeptic.

Dumbass,

Did they know you were a skeptic before they offered their opinion?

No. But I don't think they could fake it (enthusiasm for Lance) any
better than Lafferty could. I don't think it likely I misread them.

Old August 22nd 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RobertH

On Aug 21, 8:15 pm, DirtRoadie wrote:

One of the 10 aid workers killed in Afghanistan a bit over two weeks
ago was a close personal friend. He had NO religious or political
agenda whatsoever, just a willingness and desire to do good things for
people who could benefit from his help. ...

Sorry for your loss DR.

It's good to know there are people like that your friend out there.