Gels vs Gatorade

Old July 28th 04, 02:20 PM
RonSonic

Default Gels vs Gatorade

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:20:31 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:11:14 GMT, RonSonic
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:31:08 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

On 27 Jul 2004 14:24:20 -0700, (Douglas Landau)
wrote:

You mean -you- need good hydration and a full tank of calories for a 2
hour ride. I hopped on late saturday morning on an empty stomach and
rode 80 miles in 95 degree sun with no problem.

If you practiced proper hydration and feeding you would have gone
faster, or done the rider more easily.

Two hours doesn't require a feed. Just liquids depending on weather and how
tanked up you were to start.

Do you think the guy I was questioning did 80 miles in 95 degree
weather in two hours?

You're right, he would've gone further if he'd eaten more. Probably should've
brought an egg fu young with him in a zip-lock and eaten it between miles 37 and
42.

Ron

Old July 28th 04, 08:44 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Douglas Landau" wrote in message
om...

What I am beginning to question is the importance of having full tanks
of calories and water at the outset versus the importance of establishing
and maintaining the flow of them through you right from the start

That was pretty much answered if you watched the Tour on OLN.
You have to maintain the calories and fluid intake throughout your ride.
-tom

Old July 29th 04, 02:35 AM
RonSonic

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:44:40 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

"Douglas Landau" wrote in message
. com...

What I am beginning to question is the importance of having full tanks
of calories and water at the outset versus the importance of establishing
and maintaining the flow of them through you right from the start

That was pretty much answered if you watched the Tour on OLN.
You have to maintain the calories and fluid intake throughout your ride.

If I were built anything like a TdF GC contender or rode anything like them,
then I would have to eat like them. I don't spend six hours in the saddle, day
after day.

Now fluid intake can be another thing entirely, especially here in Florida. We
can go through some water.

Ron

Old July 29th 04, 02:34 PM
Tom Nakashima

"RonSonic" wrote in message

If I were built anything like a TdF GC contender or rode anything like

them,
then I would have to eat like them. I don't spend six hours in the saddle,

day
after day.

Now fluid intake can be another thing entirely, especially here in

Florida. We
can go through some water.

Ron

So tell me, what's a TdF GC contender built like?
There are many cyclist that aren't TdF GC riders who are in pretty good
shape, and can easily spend 6+ hours in the saddle. We need to replenish
our calories and fluid intake on long rides.
-tom

Old July 29th 04, 07:05 PM
RonSonic

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 06:34:22 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

"RonSonic" wrote in message
.. .

If I were built anything like a TdF GC contender or rode anything like

them,
then I would have to eat like them. I don't spend six hours in the saddle,

day
after day.

Now fluid intake can be another thing entirely, especially here in

Florida. We
can go through some water.

Ron

So tell me, what's a TdF GC contender built like?

No surplus body mass. To an extreme.

There are many cyclist that aren't TdF GC riders who are in pretty good
shape, and can easily spend 6+ hours in the saddle. We need to replenish
our calories and fluid intake on long rides.

Yes, you do. I never said you didn't. Go back and notice words like "I" and "Me"
in what I wrote.

And riding 6 hours in a day is not the same as 6 hours every day. And it sure as
hell isn't the 2-3 hour ride that many more people (like myself, who I was
talking about) do. And again for that 2-3 hour ride it makes no sense to pretend
you're a TdF rider and eat like one.

Ron

Cost effective OtB hydration \ sports drink Chris Racing 6 July 14th 04 05:02 AM
The heck with Gatorade! Sorni General 14 December 3rd 03 01:06 PM
The heck with Gatorade! Sorni Mountain Biking 16 December 3rd 03 01:06 PM
Good Gels? Binary Mountain Biking 15 September 20th 03 08:23 PM