35 mm to 31.8 mm adapter

Old September 10th 05, 07:26 PM
Charles Smith

Default 35 mm to 31.8 mm adapter

I've got a couple of 35 mm front derailleurs and a bicycle with a 31.8
mm seat tube. I know Shimano supplies a little kit of adapters with
their Sora (?) derailleurs, but my LBS won't sell me the package
separately. Is there an easy source online for something that looks nice?

Charles

Old September 11th 05, 05:41 AM
JeffWills

Charles Smith wrote:
I've got a couple of 35 mm front derailleurs and a bicycle with a 31.8
mm seat tube. I know Shimano supplies a little kit of adapters with
their Sora (?) derailleurs, but my LBS won't sell me the package
separately. Is there an easy source online for something that looks nice?

Charles

I don't know about "looks nice", but a short slice of Schedule 80 PVC
pipe (the thin stuff) makes a dandy shim. I have a chunk of Schedule 40
keeping my front derailleur in place- a 1 1/4" (31.8mm) clamp on a 1"
diameter tube. With a little flat black paint, it's just about
invisible, and it's worked fine for almost three years.

Jeff

Old September 11th 05, 02:40 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Charles Smith wrote:
I've got a couple of 35 mm front derailleurs and a bicycle with a 31.8
mm seat tube. I know Shimano supplies a little kit of adapters with
their Sora (?) derailleurs, but my LBS won't sell me the package
separately. Is there an easy source online for something that looks nice?

QBP has a problem solver shim for this. It is actually just a piece of
cut PVC pipe, looks OK. If these are Campag, you can swap clamps..have
a LBS that 'qui si parla Campagnolo'?

Old September 12th 05, 01:59 AM
Jim Adney

On 10 Sep 2005 21:41:17 -0700 "JeffWills" wrote:

I don't know about "looks nice", but a short slice of Schedule 80 PVC
pipe (the thin stuff) makes a dandy shim. I have a chunk of Schedule 40
keeping my front derailleur in place- a 1 1/4" (31.8mm) clamp on a 1"
diameter tube. With a little flat black paint, it's just about
invisible, and it's worked fine for almost three years.

Schedule 80 is thicker wall than Sch 40. Otherwise, if the dimensions
are right, this is a reasonable thing to consider.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old September 12th 05, 05:11 AM
JeffWills

Jim Adney wrote:
Schedule 80 is thicker wall than Sch 40. Otherwise, if the dimensions
are right, this is a reasonable thing to consider.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

OK, so I got my schedules backwards. Wouldn't be the first time- I used
to drive Volkswagens, too.

Jeff