A new year's resolution for all of us

Old January 5th 08, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

Default A new year's resolution for all of us

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Simon Brooke wibbled

Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
primarily about motoring
* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other
well-known safespeed trolls
* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
cross- posted to any other group

Nope.

Just because you don't want to see other viewpoints, doesn't mean
everyones outlook is so blinkered.

--

I don't think it is the alternative viewpoints that Simon has a peoblem
with. It is more people who argue using flawed data/statistical analysis and

Old January 5th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Simon Brooke wrote:

Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is primarily
about motoring

I'm willing to be held to that one.

* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
safespeed trolls

I am happy to killfile any thread that is going round in circles.
However, you continue to be unfair to suggest that Matt B is a safespeed
troll and, as far as I can recall, have yet to provide any evidence that
he is.

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
posted to any other group

No, sometimes such discussion is relevant and constructive. When
discussion ceases to be constructive that is when it is better to make
one's excuses and leave the discussion.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk
Old January 5th 08, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

wafflycat wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
primarily
about motoring

Actually, I enjoy motoring as well as being on the bike (or trike).
Maybe I don't notice them, but are many threads *primarily* about motoring?

I don't see many primarily about motoring, but their are a lot that
touch on motoring in a way that directly applies to cycling. e.g. Road
safety.

* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
safespeed trolls

Some of us have the trolls kill-filed anyhow

The problem is that they occasionally jump out of my kill files, and I
usually put Matt B straight back in, but at the moment I am a bit bored.

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
posted to any other group

I try not to cross-post anyhow, but occasionally have to slap my own
wrist

Cross posted threads are not by definition bad. Many can be good.
However some crossposted to e.g. uk.wreck.driving will nearly always
descend into a troll/flame war.

Old January 5th 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Martin Dann wrote:

wafflycat wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
posted to any other group

I try not to cross-post anyhow, but occasionally have to slap my own
wrist

Cross posted threads are not by definition bad. Many can be good.
However some crossposted to e.g. uk.wreck.driving will nearly always
descend into a troll/flame war.

Once the idiots have been killfiled (I do this simply by killing the
subthreads in which they appeared), it swiftly becomes possible to find
those who are willing to engage in intelligent debate. It should be
borne in mind by a few more people on this group that 'holder of views
with which I disagree' does not equal 'troll'.

Old January 6th 08, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Ekul Namsob wrote:

Martin Dann wrote:

wafflycat wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
cross-
posted to any other group

I try not to cross-post anyhow, but occasionally have to slap my own
wrist

Cross posted threads are not by definition bad. Many can be good.
However some crossposted to e.g. uk.wreck.driving will nearly always
descend into a troll/flame war.

Once the idiots have been killfiled (I do this simply by killing the
subthreads in which they appeared), it swiftly becomes possible to find
those who are willing to engage in intelligent debate. It should be
borne in mind by a few more people on this group that 'holder of views
with which I disagree' does not equal 'troll'.

Oh, indeed. My own killfile includes people who advance views with which I
agree, but do so repetitiously and in a way intended to provoke argument.

If someone wants to come along and make a cogent, coherent and well-mannered
argument that it is to the greater good of the community as a whole that
motorists should be permitted to kill people with impunity, then I'm
prepared not merely to listen but to engage in debate.

It's people who endlessly repeat the same tired and dishonest arguments
despite repeated rebuttal that end up in my bozo bin.

IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

Old January 6th 08, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Simon Brooke wrote:

Ekul Namsob wrote:

Once the idiots have been killfiled (I do this simply by killing the
subthreads in which they appeared), it swiftly becomes possible to find
those who are willing to engage in intelligent debate. It should be
borne in mind by a few more people on this group that 'holder of views
with which I disagree' does not equal 'troll'.

Oh, indeed. My own killfile includes people who advance views with which I
agree, but do so repetitiously and in a way intended to provoke argument.

If someone wants to come along and make a cogent, coherent and well-mannered
argument that it is to the greater good of the community as a whole that
motorists should be permitted to kill people with impunity, then I'm
prepared not merely to listen but to engage in debate.

I'm not sure anyone on uk.rec.driving has such views...

It's people who endlessly repeat the same tired and dishonest arguments
despite repeated rebuttal that end up in my bozo bin.

Which is fair enough.