Are the new KH drilled rims more susceptible to pinch flats?

Old October 25th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclistjoe

Default Are the new KH drilled rims more susceptible to pinch flats?

Has anybody else found that the new KH rim gets pinch flats a lot more
often than the older KH or Alex DX32?

I've had 4 pinch flats since i've had mine, which is 4x as many as I
had on my old tyre/rim set up running the same PSI (25).

Anyone else having this problem?

--
unicyclistjoe

NZUni President
94cm Highest Hop
287cm Longest Hop
205cm Static Flat Gap
unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

Old October 25th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pete66

My vote would be yes, they are more susceptible. On my old 05 KH20 (the
older KH rim), I didn't pinch flat once in about 8 months riding.

On my new ISIS KH with the drilled rim I've already pinch flatted once
jumping down a 7-set. Having said that though, I still like the new
drilled rim for looks

--
pete66

Peter Shilton wrote:

"You've got to believe that you're going to win, and I believe we'll
win the World Cup until the final whistle blows and we're knocked
out."

pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Old October 25th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
muzzle

Maybe we need a poll on here?
Anyone care to ask Harper if its ok? :P

--
muzzle

my videos: 'muzzle!videos' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3)
http://youtube.com/profile?user=muzzl3
my website: '!muzzle!' (http://www.muzzle.co.nr)
http://www.muzzle.co.nr
muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458

Old October 25th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Grr, I hope not.

I never pinch flat on my rim, but I rarely bottom out.

Im gonna hate if I have to constantly patch or buy new tubes, maybe
just getting the 2006 rim put on there would be better. Or put my Alex
rim on the 2007 once I get it.

Ill just have tow ait and see if it does end up giving me pinch flats.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/) KH Funds =
$0/$499

Old October 26th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

What size wheel (trials or muni)? What type of tube? What tyre?

I'm going to assume a trials wheel. Standard 20" tubes are already
stretched thin to fit a trials tyre. If the wider rims are more prone
to pinch flats with trials tyres then the overstretched tube is going
to compound the problem.

There is a moped tube that will fit a trials wheel. I'm not sure of
the exact size designation for the moped tube, but 'municycle.com sells
it' (http://tinyurl.com/g9xf6). It's a thicker tube, which also means
it's heavier.

There is also the theory of putting talc powder inside the tyre to keep
the tube from sticking to the inside of the tyre. That allows the tube
to move inside the tyre which may help prevent some types of pinch
flats. But there is debate about that.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Dirty Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old October 26th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

john_childs wrote:
There is also the theory of putting talc powder inside the tyre to keep
the tube from sticking to the inside of the tyre. That allows the tube
to move inside the tyre which may help prevent some types of pinch
flats. But there is debate about that.

On my Norco Twenty with a Maxxis Max Daddy, I run a Puncture Resistant
tube from Canadian Tire. I know after a while I have to let some air
out, and pull the tire on the rim a bit to slide the tube back into
place, or I risk shearing the valve stem right off. I have this problem
on my BMX too after I do a lot of hopping.

I could just see any powder making this problem worse for me. But I'm
not running a 19x2.5 tire, it's a 20x2, and 20x2.1 on my BMX.

But these Puncture Resistant tubes, NEVER pinch flat, they're
absolutely awesome. I could run around on 20psi and I weigh 140 pounds,
jump off any ledge I can find and it won't pinch flat.

--
Borgschulze

Spare some change for a new unicycle?
Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501

Old October 26th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Borgschulze wrote:
On my Norco Twenty with a Maxxis Max Daddy, I run a Puncture Resistant
tube from Canadian Tire. I know after a while I have to let some air
out, and pull the tire on the rim a bit to slide the tube back into
place, or I risk shearing the valve stem right off. I have this problem
on my BMX too after I do a lot of hopping.

That can happen when the tire slides on the rim. If the tube is stuck
to the inside of the tire the tube will rotate with the tire, possibly
shearing the valve stem off.

When you run low pressure in the tire there is less force holding the
tire in place against the rim. So a low pressure tire is more likely
to rotate or slip on the rim like that. In extreme cases people will
glue the tire to the rim to keep it from slipping or rotating on the
rim.

If the tube is free to slide inside the tire it is possible for the
tube to stay where it should and not have the valve stem go all wonky.
No guarantee of that though. Still, it's easier to straighten out the
tube again if it's talced and not stuck to the inside of the tire.

Old October 26th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onetrack

I agree with JC.

IRC makes fat 19" tubes that fit trials tires perfectly. try one of
those.

--
onetrack

"People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
lines."
-Klaas Bil

I pulled a sick trey varial hickflip over an 8 set yesterday, but
unfortunately it was supposed to be seat in to seat out. I've named it
the dioflip
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

Old October 26th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
muzzle

Joe's been using the stock trials tube in his tire - a cheng shin
20x2.125 trials tube.
I am running a two tube setup, instead of using a rim tape I use a
trials tube which has been split down the center. But im not using a
drilled rim either

Old October 26th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TonyMelton

Borgschulze wrote:

But these Puncture Resistant tubes, NEVER pinch flat, they're
absolutely awesome. I could run around on 20psi and I weigh 140 pounds,
jump off any ledge I can find and it won't pinch flat.

This may be true, but they are not available in 20 x 2.5" size AFAIK. I
bought one of these puncture resistant tubes at a bike shop, thinking
it would halt my string of pinch flats, and installed it immediately on
my trials wheel. It did not stretch at all, so the tube was pumped up
hard and the tyre was still loose. I returned the tube straight away
and got a standard one instead.

--
TonyMelton

Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Any other pros break spokes? [email protected] Techniques 112 March 2nd 06 07:27 PM
pinch flats gds General 14 October 10th 05 04:46 PM
27 vs. 700 pinch flats meb Techniques 1 May 8th 05 06:53 PM
What's the point of tubular tires? Bruce W.1 Techniques 70 June 23rd 04 10:01 PM