Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes?

Old April 17th 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes?

Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a HG-62 11-36T but
hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T. HG-50 is more available in
11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than one being used
on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes with Deore? I would not
care about weight or whether it shifts a millisecond faster. I do care
about how long it lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even
last 4k miles :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 17th 16, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

J does not replace chain cassette together ?

HG50 is good esp in 8 spds

Old April 17th 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/16/2016 6:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a
HG-62 11-36T but hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T.
HG-50 is more available in 11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than
one being used on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes
with Deore? I would not care about weight or whether it
shifts a millisecond faster. I do care about how long it
lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even last
4k miles :-(

They are fungible for your purposes and the market is alive
with less expensive compatible cassettes by SRAM, SunRace et al.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 17th 16, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-17 08:45, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/16/2016 6:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a
HG-62 11-36T but hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T.
HG-50 is more available in 11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than
one being used on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes
with Deore? I would not care about weight or whether it
shifts a millisecond faster. I do care about how long it
lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even last
4k miles :-(

They are fungible for your purposes and the market is alive with less
expensive compatible cassettes by SRAM, SunRace et al.

Thanks! That's the word I was hoping to hear :-)

Old April 17th 16, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-17 08:45, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/16/2016 6:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a
HG-62 11-36T but hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T.
HG-50 is more available in 11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than
one being used on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes
with Deore? I would not care about weight or whether it
shifts a millisecond faster. I do care about how long it
lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even last
4k miles :-(

They are fungible for your purposes and the market is alive with less
expensive compatible cassettes by SRAM, SunRace et al.

Thanks! That's the word I was hoping to hear :-)

These reviews look a bit discomforting since I am a heavier muscular rider:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-HG-...Speed-Cassette

Old April 17th 16, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a HG-62 11-36T but
hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T. HG-50 is more available in
11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than one being used
on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes with Deore? I would not
care about weight or whether it shifts a millisecond faster. I do care
about how long it lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even
last 4k miles :-(

Add-on question: Can I also use a HG81 cassette instead? Some folks in
reviews said that could gouge the freehub body. No idea why because
AFAICT the HG81 has the three larges cogs on a carrier.

Problem is, the HC62 is not much in stock in 11-36T at reasonable
prices. Except for Merlin Cycles in the UK which would be ok but takes
10 days to get here (US).

I am a bit skeptical about the HG50 after (just before ordering ..)
seeing several reviews where people had bent cogs just by pedaling.

Old April 17th 16, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A 10 SPEED ! FOR A POOR MUSCULAR RIDER WHO CANNAH AFFORD A CASSETTE ?

buy 2 chains n an electric motor

http://goo.gl/DeCd4h
Old April 18th 16, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a HG-62 11-36T but
hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T. HG-50 is more available in
11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than one being used
on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes with Deore? I would not
care about weight or whether it shifts a millisecond faster. I do care
about how long it lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even
last 4k miles :-(

So I found a HG81 11-36T at Jenson for $32. They also had the very beefy
29" CST Rock Hawk tire which I am going to try on the trails when the
current one is bald. Will let you guys know how this fares.

CS-HG50-9 Squat'n Dive Techniques 9 August 22nd 08 03:30 AM
Campy cassettes - any difference? Olebiker Techniques 3 February 11th 06 11:57 AM
170's to 150's = not much difference - 150's to 127's = whoa!...big difference! babyivan Unicycling 11 November 15th 05 08:27 PM
Quality difference between HG50 and HG70 shimano cassettes davy Techniques 5 August 11th 05 08:46 PM
Wanted 9 sp cassettes Bman Marketplace 2 September 22nd 04 01:24 AM