Silca floor pump: broke the plastic backing nut

Old July 6th 05, 02:25 AM
Peter McCallum

Default Silca floor pump: broke the plastic backing nut

I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old July 6th 05, 02:39 AM
Marty

Peter McCallum wrote:
I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

See if you can work out the number of threads per inch (TPI) and the
outside diameter and we'll tell you what thread it is.

Marty

Old July 6th 05, 04:39 AM
dave

Peter McCallum wrote:
I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

Use a nyluck nut if you can get one with the same thread. It woll be
fine.

Nut and bolt shop. WHere are you?
Old July 6th 05, 04:41 AM
dave

Peter McCallum wrote:
I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

Sorry Mackay. Oops

ummm look for them in the phone book. THe bolt bloke something like
that.
Old July 6th 05, 04:50 AM
Peter McCallum

dave wrote:

Peter McCallum wrote:
I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

Sorry Mackay. Oops

ummm look for them in the phone book. THe bolt bloke something like
that.

Thanks, I'll have a look around.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old July 6th 05, 04:54 AM
dave

Peter McCallum wrote:
dave wrote:

Peter McCallum wrote:

I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

Sorry Mackay. Oops

ummm look for them in the phone book. THe bolt bloke something like
that.

Thanks, I'll have a look around.

Unless you are pretty sure of the thread take the thing in. They will
be fine with that. They might even have the right nylon nut.
Failing that nylock will do.

Old July 6th 05, 06:03 AM
Bruce Dickson

Peter McCallum wrote:
I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

If it's the part I think it is I got one from a LBS in Brisbane but it
was probably about 5 years ago, maybe they don't bring them into
Australia anymore. I'm sure you could find one online overseas
somewhere.

Bruce.

Old July 6th 05, 07:06 AM
Peter McCallum

Bruce Dickson wrote:

Peter McCallum wrote:
I wonder whether anyone knows what I can do to replace the broken
plastic nut at the back of the leather washer on my Silca floor pump. My
LBS says he can't get that part from the distributor.

I thought maybe a steel nut and washer might do the trick. The locking
nut in front of the washer uses a 17mm spanner, so what I need is a flat
nut with the same thread and a suitable washer. Any ideas where I'd find
such a thing.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

If it's the part I think it is I got one from a LBS in Brisbane but it
was probably about 5 years ago, maybe they don't bring them into
Australia anymore. I'm sure you could find one online overseas
somewhere.

Bruce.

Yeah, I ordered something that I think might be the part from a US
website. Cost US$1.88 but they didn't say how much the freight charges
will be (probably ten times the unit price is my guess). Hopefully it
will fit. In the meantime I'll try to find a nut and washer or nylex nut
that works.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old July 6th 05, 07:18 AM
Bruce Dickson

Peter McCallum wrote:

Yeah, I ordered something that I think might be the part from a US
website. Cost US$1.88 but they didn't say how much the freight charges
will be (probably ten times the unit price is my guess). Hopefully it
will fit. In the meantime I'll try to find a nut and washer or nylex nut
that works.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Generally I've found US shops tend to have high freight charges even
for small orders, on the other hand UK ones are pretty good with
posting small orders cheaply. Royal Mail, maybe cheaper because they
didn't spend money sponsoring a pro bike team.

Bruce.

Old July 6th 05, 07:28 AM
Peter McCallum

Bruce Dickson wrote:
Royal Mail, maybe cheaper because they
didn't spend money sponsoring a pro bike team.

Bruce.

Neither doe the USPS from what I recall. Royal Mail probably sponsers a
polo club and horse racing stable.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA