Chain lube

Old August 13th 05, 01:11 PM
Si

Default Chain lube

My new bike has a lovely shiny silver chain, and a lovely shiny silver
block.

What lube could I use to keep it like this?

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Old August 13th 05, 01:17 PM
Jeremy Collins

Si wrote:
My new bike has a lovely shiny silver chain, and a lovely shiny silver
block.

What lube could I use to keep it like this?

It /will/ get dirty, whatever lube you use. You just need to clean
the chain properly - search Google Groups for past posts about
the "Sheldon Shake"...

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old August 13th 05, 01:43 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:11:29 +0100, the person
known to the court as "Si" made a
statement in Your Honour's bundle)
to the following effect:

My new bike has a lovely shiny silver chain, and a lovely shiny silver
block. What lube could I use to keep it like this?

Lube won't do it. To keep them shiny you should clean them thoroughly
and varnish them, before hanging the bike on the wall.

If you were intending to use the bike, however, they will get dirty
and you will be too busy enjoying the ride to notice or care...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old August 13th 05, 02:06 PM
Robert

"Si" wrote in message
My new bike has a lovely shiny silver chain, and a lovely shiny silver
block.

What lube could I use to keep it like this?

Thanks in advance!

It should be lubed already. If you like the shiny look never lube it and
just by a new chain every couple of months.

Old August 13th 05, 02:48 PM
Si

"Robert" wrote in message

"Si" wrote in message
My new bike has a lovely shiny silver chain, and a lovely shiny silver
block.

What lube could I use to keep it like this?

Thanks in advance!

It should be lubed already. If you like the shiny look never lube it and
just by a new chain every couple of months.

Fair enough then- thanks for your help!

Retirement here I come!

Simon

Old August 13th 05, 03:48 PM
emma

well don't know what anyone else thinks of it but I recently bought
some of that Purple Extreme chain lube - EBC do it, I got some cheapish
off ebay, and althought the chain seems a bit noisier, its certainly a
lot, lot cleaner. C+ liked the stuff. see
http://www.purpleextreme.com/. I've no connection etc, etc, just think
its fine so far...

Emma

Old August 13th 05, 05:20 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:48:02 +0100, "Si"
wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message

"Si" wrote in message
My new bike has a lovely shiny silver chain, and a lovely shiny silver
block.

What lube could I use to keep it like this?

Thanks in advance!

It should be lubed already. If you like the shiny look never lube it and
just by a new chain every couple of months.

Fair enough then- thanks for your help!

Retirement here I come!

Simon

Sorry to bust the bubble, so to speak, but in based on my
experience, the responders so far have been talking ****e.

I too have a plated (silver) chain & a plated block, used for
daily commuting, 15 miles round trip + weekend jaunts.

I give the block a wipe down once a month with a citrus
degreaser soaked rag & then with a moistened rag. Takes 10 mins.
(I say "wipe", but what's actually going on is "sawing" a
ripped-off & twisted bit of rag over & between the cogs)

The chain gets a weekly wipe with a rag moistened with WD-40,
and a drizzle of some lube after, with the excess being wiped off.

The chain and blocks still glint, and the chain stretch after
six months of use is so far below the replacement point to be
un-measurable.

The good thing about a plated chain & block is that it gives
an obvious indication when it's filthy & a good clean is in order.

Just one man's experience, of course...
Old August 14th 05, 03:58 AM
dewatf

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:11:29 +0100, "Si"
wrote:

My new bike has a lovely shiny silver chain, and a lovely shiny silver
block.

What lube could I use to keep it like this?

You could try one of the teflon lubes e.g. Rock and Roll.
They tend to wash the crap out of the chain and leave teflon in the
chain to lubricate it. This means there is no oil or grease in the
chain to catch the dirt and metal grindings.

Or White Lighening is a waxed base lube, though it leaves a waxy
buildup.

If you use an oil based lube then your chain is going to get dirty.
The only way to get it really clean is either by taking it off the
bike and throughly cleaning it or using one those on-chain cleaning
machines, then making sure you remove all the degreaser before
lubricating it, otherwise the degreaser can break the lubricant down.
My LBS uses a compressor to blow all the degreaser out of the chain.

dewatf.

Old August 14th 05, 08:18 AM
LSMike

wrote:

My new bike has a lovely shiny silver chain, and a lovely shiny silver
block.

What lube could I use to keep it like this?

You could try one of the teflon lubes e.g. Rock and Roll.
They tend to wash the crap out of the chain and leave teflon in the
chain to lubricate it. This means there is no oil or grease in the
chain to catch the dirt and metal grindings.

If you use Rock and Roll to wash the chain, that's a darned expensive way to
do it. Assuming you're washing out ALL the dirt out properly that is. I
think you'd be better using the Sheldon shake and then applying just enough
Rock and Roll to get into the chain.

And Rock and Roll does pick up dirt, perhaps not as much as oil, but the
chain defo gets black with road dirt.

Or White Lighening is a waxed base lube, though it leaves a waxy
buildup.

If you use an oil based lube then your chain is going to get dirty.
The only way to get it really clean is either by taking it off the
bike and throughly cleaning it or using one those on-chain cleaning
machines, then making sure you remove all the degreaser before
lubricating it, otherwise the degreaser can break the lubricant down.
My LBS uses a compressor to blow all the degreaser out of the chain.

Clean and lube chain Joe S. Techniques 18 July 11th 05 07:24 PM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM
CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE [email protected] Techniques 0 March 19th 05 03:52 PM
Chain lube - when to.... AC UK 12 June 8th 04 07:29 PM
newbie bike question - how to tell if bike chain is worn too much Stephen Australia 7 November 28th 03 01:14 AM