Pumping tires with shock pump?

Old November 9th 05, 10:26 PM

Default Pumping tires with shock pump?

Hi, I have a general question.

Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
would it take to fill a tire?

I am thinking about acquiring a shock pump for pumping tires as my current
hand pump is not very good. Namely it lacks a gauge and is hard to use
especially at high pressure. Floor and foot pumps are too bulky for my
situation.

Thanks
Peter L.

Old November 10th 05, 12:26 AM
Pat

wrote in message
: Hi, I have a general question.
:
: Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
: would it take to fill a tire?
:
: I am thinking about acquiring a shock pump for pumping tires as my current
: hand pump is not very good. Namely it lacks a gauge and is hard to use
: especially at high pressure. Floor and foot pumps are too bulky for my
: situation.
:
: Thanks
: Peter L.
:
Topeak Road Morph. Get it for $35 or less. You'll be glad you did.

Pat in TX
:
:

Old November 10th 05, 12:27 AM
666.org

Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
would it take to fill a tire?

If you don't mind spending all day pumping a tire and you don't care
about repetitive stress injuries...
Old November 10th 05, 02:35 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:26:01 -0800, wrote:

Hi, I have a general question.

Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
would it take to fill a tire?

Longer than with a tire pump. Exactly how much longer depends on the
precise comparison of the two pumps. Figure at least double the time
of a tire pump, and note that they're often heavier than most of the
tire pumps that are designed to mount on the bike.

I am thinking about acquiring a shock pump for pumping tires as my current
hand pump is not very good. Namely it lacks a gauge and is hard to use
especially at high pressure. Floor and foot pumps are too bulky for my
situation.

Somebody has already mentioned the Topeak Road Morph; I've got one,
and it's both compact and effective...and it has a hose, which keeps
me from worrying about damaging those @#$%^&* Presta valves.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.