BBC: Children to be banned from cycling to school without number plates

Old September 26th 18, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default BBC: Children to be banned from cycling to school without numberplates

On 9/25/2018 7:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 3:50:56 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/25/2018 2:58 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 9/25/18 6:06 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Children have been told they will be banned from cycling
to their south
London school if they do not put number plates on their
bikes.

Teachers at Stanley Park High, in Carshalton, are
introducing the scheme
so members of the public can report pupils cycling
dangerously.

The secondary school said the main aim was to keep
children safe.

Charity Cycling UK questioned why Stanley Park High "want
to make
cycling to school more difficult".

On the school's website, head teacher Amit Amin wrote:
"All students who
cycle to school will be required to display a
school-issued bicycle
number plate when riding to and from school.

"Students without a number plate will not be permitted to
cycle to
school, or lock their bicycles on school grounds."

Mr Amin said the measure was in response to incidents of
children
cycling in a way that "endangers themselves and others".

Ban children. They are annoying little ****bags, and the
world would be a more peaceful place without them.

Well, yes, except my grandsons are wonderful young men. Who
ride bikes.

Big kids are good for SOME things, like a draft. The commute with my son this morning was almost all above 30mph -- except when stopped or got jammed in traffic near my office. He hit the gas and gapped me in one place, and I practically hacked a lung getting back on -- along with some dope who was hanging on to my wheel. We picked him up while passing a flock of cyclists on the way into town. I podiumed again in the dopey commuter criterium! Time for a kiss from the itinerant Madison podium girls (and part time sumo wrestlers)!

-- Jay Beattie.

May your progeny number as Ghengis Khan's:

leaving a better world for Mr Tossspot

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 26th 18, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 12:06:40 -0400, Radey Shouman wrote:

Children have been told they will be banned from cycling to their south
London school if they do not put number plates on their bikes.

A) So, thery stop outside the school gate and fit number plate before
entering. or
B) The keep number plate covered until just before entering school gate,
and/or
C) They add another plate denigrating the teachers as unintelligent power
mad ****s.

Teachers at Stanley Park High, in Carshalton, are introducing the scheme
so members of the public can report pupils cycling dangerously.

The problem there is 99.9999+5 of the public will not have any clue about
legal and/or cycling.

The secondary school said the main aim was to keep children safe.

On the school's website, head teacher Amit Amin wrote: "All students who
cycle to school will be required to display a school-issued bicycle
number plate when riding to and from school.

Does any one know enough of UK law to say whether "teachers" have any
legal right to direct people attending school on their behaviour outside
school?

It is going to be an interesting discussion when the adults attending
school say "shove it where the sun don't shine". In Australia, some
secondary school students can be over 18 years old and thus a legal adult.
Old September 26th 18, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:22:43 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Kids, keep busy swapping those plates,

The details of the plates would be interesting, aka how easy to
counterfeit or collect a set of snazzy/cool/wicked/whatever sayings.

Of course, there will be the issue and report your teachers'
dangerous driving until the staff-car parking is empty ... and converted
to bicycle parking!

The secondary school said the main aim was to keep children safe.

If parents wanted to keep their children safe, the sensible thing would
be to keep them away from intrusive nannies who subject pupils to
blackmail and worse while claiming it's "to keep children safe."

Perhaps it is just my mind warped from a lifetime of encountering power
mad incompentent bosses, but my reading of the school "vision" should
lead to the kids applying their ample imagination, skills, etc to
subverting the system.

Every member of Stanley Park High will have:
Ambition, commitment, resilience & perseverance Confidence to take
risks An ability to organise and present themselves effectively
Intellectual curiosity Imagination and creativity Initiative and
self-motivation to learn independently and with others Optimism for
a future in a rapidly changing world"

There must have been some real bad drugs around when that was composed.

And note the carrots part:
"subsidised bike lights and maintenance workshops"

Cheap chinese knock off lights?.
I'm curius about who is going to provide these "maintenance workshops".
Will it be another diversion of school funds from needed areas to pay
someone.

Old September 26th 18, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 9/26/18 2:29 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Alright, alright, ban all kids except of course Andrews magnificent
grandsons, and any that have managed to get big enough to comfortable
draft, and those that work in Chinese sweatshops for our white goods
gratification. Apart from them, ban them all!
Old September 26th 18, 08:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

news18 wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:22:43 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Perhaps it is just my mind warped from a lifetime of encountering power
mad incompentent bosses, but my reading of the school "vision" should
lead to the kids applying their ample imagination, skills, etc to
subverting the system.

Even after encountering just half-mad, semi-competent bosses, an incurable
optimist could secretly hope that the head teacher was intentionally trying
to provoke some opposition from a passive bunch of smombie kids.

Every member of Stanley Park High will have:
Ambition, commitment, resilience & perseverance Confidence to take
risks An ability to organise and present themselves effectively
Intellectual curiosity Imagination and creativity Initiative and
self-motivation to learn independently and with others Optimism for
a future in a rapidly changing world"

There must have been some real bad drugs around when that was composed.

"Confidence to take risks" ... why, just pay your indebted gf's drugs and
get her a pair of Joergian-strength tires ;-/
http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180925/video-man-threw-other-man-face-first-off-bridge-daytona-beach-police-say/1
Old September 26th 18, 10:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

-----------------%------------------
more at https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-45636870

--

In the U.S.A. there are schools that have prohibited children from riding bicycles to school at all.

Cheers
Old September 26th 18, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/26/2018 2:21 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
news18 wrote:
[...]

Great video. The written report says it began with the
victim walking with a woman whose bike had a flat so it's
actually cycling content!

Old September 26th 18, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

news18 writes:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:22:43 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Kids, keep busy swapping those plates,

The details of the plates would be interesting, aka how easy to
counterfeit or collect a set of snazzy/cool/wicked/whatever sayings.

Some towns in my vicinity issued bicycle plates quite a while ago
(1950s?). They are now collectors' items, albeit not worth a great
deal. I still have a sticker on the down tube of my bicycle issued by
the University of Texas in the 1980s, as I recall they threatened to
remove any bicycles locked on campus without one, it was promulgated as
an anti-theft measure.

Old September 26th 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

news18 wrote:
[...]

Slime! If it saves one life ...

Old September 26th 18, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 09:55:59 -0400, Radey Shouman wrote:

news18 writes:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:22:43 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Kids, keep busy swapping those plates,

The details of the plates would be interesting, aka how easy to
counterfeit or collect a set of snazzy/cool/wicked/whatever sayings.

Some towns in my vicinity issued bicycle plates quite a while ago
(1950s?). They are now collectors' items, albeit not worth a great
deal. I still have a sticker on the down tube of my bicycle issued by
the University of Texas in the 1980s, as I recall they threatened to
remove any bicycles locked on campus without one, it was promulgated as
an anti-theft measure.

Fat lot of good a sticker would have done at my university during the
70's, The thieves were reported as driving around with a truck and a
big pair of bolt cutters. No fancy U bolts then. Case hardened chain if
you didn't mind the weight.

As I mentioned in another post, when I had some mods on a new frame, it
got the worst paint job a gungy brush could give. They ignored it and
targetted the "new bikes".

If only they had number plates Simon Jester UK 1 November 10th 17 05:01 PM
Dulwich Bans Children from Cycling to School Peter Parry UK 68 July 8th 10 08:09 PM
Number-of-kids-cycling-to-school-doubles Tony Raven[_2_] UK 3 April 30th 09 01:31 PM
Number Plates? permajeo UK 15 September 20th 06 06:23 PM
Cycling number plates. Oscar Australia 9 February 11th 05 12:29 AM