Road Rage Incident - Did I do the right thing?

Old March 12th 05, 06:40 AM
GaryG

Default Road Rage Incident - Did I do the right thing?

So, I'm out on my regular training route this afternoon minding my own
business. The area is rural, and the road is narrow, with a 45 mph speed
limit. I ride this route a lot, and many of the locals know me and wave,
but there's this one peckerwood redneck who doesn't like bikes on the road.

A couple of months ago I was on this same stretch of road when I got passed
very close by a beater pickup. I yelled at the guy and gestured (I did
*not* flip him off). He screeched his truck to a stop in the middle of the
road and got out irate. I told him I had a right to the road, and that he
had to give me more room when passing. He told me he almost had a wreck
once due to oncoming traffic when he was trying to pass a bike. I told him
he should wait to pass until it was safe. It went back and forth like that
for a minute until he drove off.

Today, the same thing happened. On a straight, wide-open stretch of road,
this guy passes within 12" of my handlebar. I yelled at him, and he shook
his fist at me. I gave the "Italian" salute (not the finger), and he
screeched to a stop in the middle of the road. He got out of his truck
yelling at me and would not let me pass. He yelled stuff about how bikes
shouldn't be on that road, and how I "dressed like a woman" and other
moronic stuff. I tried to be assertive, but not irate, until I asked him if
he'd intentionally been trying to run me off the road. He laughed and said
he was trying to brush me, and "what are you going to do about it?". At
that point, it kind of degraded into name-calling.

When I got home, I phoned the local sheriff's department and filed a report
for "simple assault". Unfortunately, I didn't get his license plate, but I
did get a good description of the vehicle and the driver, and I wanted to
get it on the record, in case he ever hits someone out there.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I did the right thing. My SO says that I should
have just ignored him, and may have made the situation worse. But damnit,
I'm a guy, and I've had friends hit and killed by cars, and I think it's OK
to stand up for our rights on the road.

What do you all think?

Also, I'm considering submitting this letter to the editor of my local paper
(this is a rough draft, written in some anger, so I may change it tomorrow):

"To the short, fat guy who intentionally drove his 80's model GMC pickup
(with a "Union" bumper sticker on the tailgate) within 12" of my handlebars
on Old Hwy. 44 on Friday afternoon.you are wrong - I do have a right to ride
my bicycle on that road.

I ride that stretch of rural road often, and I've not had problems with any
other drivers (many of whom recognize me and wave). But, on two occasions
now, you have intentionally tried to give me a "close shave".you admitted it
this time when you got out of your truck in the middle of the road to yell
at me. According to my contacts at CHP, your actions constitute "simple
assault", and I've filed a report with the Shasta County Sheriff's
Department to get your behavior on record.

I don't understand why you're so upset and threatened by bicyclists, but you
'd better get your head straightened out before someone gets hurt, or you
end up in jail. Do you intentionally drive close to tractors, or kids on
horses? They're "slow moving vehicles" too, and they use that same road
frequently. So, the next time you see me out near Palo Cedro on my bike,
just take a deep breath, pretend I'm a tractor, pass me with 3 feet of
clearance when it's safe, and we'll all get along just fine. OK?"

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old March 12th 05, 07:06 AM
Leo Lichtman

"GaryG" wrote: (clip) Unfortunately, I didn't get his license plate,(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In my opinion, that is the only thing you did wrong. There is a fair chance
you will see that truck again. Have a pen and pad handy.

Old March 12th 05, 07:13 AM
GaryG

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"GaryG" wrote: (clip) Unfortunately, I didn't get his license

plate,(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In my opinion, that is the only thing you did wrong. There is a fair

chance
you will see that truck again. Have a pen and pad handy.

Yeah...damnit. I was kicking myself for that all the way home.

Both incidents happened about the same time of day (around 4:30 pm). I
normally try to avoid riding around "rush hour" (such as it is in this
semi-rural area), so I'm pretty sure I can avoid him by avoiding that time
of day. But, I may stake out that road in my car next week, and get his
license number so I can update the report.

GG

Old March 12th 05, 01:14 PM
AustinMN

GaryG wrote:
What do you all think?

You already know you should have gotten the person's plate number.

I had just enough problems in Massachusetts that I memorized "MGL Chapter
85, section 11B Every person operating a bicycle upon a way, as defined in
section one of chapter ninety, shall have the right to use all public ways
in the Commonwealth except limited access or express state highways where
signs specifically prohibiting bicycles have been posted."

Then I would state that my operation was a right, and theirs was a privilege
requiring a license. That _usually_ got them to leave in a huff.

You might try memorizing the same, or caving a copy of your bike laws (with
sections defining your rights highlighted) just to hand him and go on your
way.

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old March 12th 05, 02:23 PM
H M Leary

In article ,
"GaryG" wrote:

[...]

You should have just shrugged it off.

Even if you did get the liscense number, the "incident" was not
witnessed by an LEO or anyone else.

More importantly, you do not know who this driver is. Maybe he just shot
a judge and three deputys to death.

Your Next!

He "gave" you 12 inches. No harm. no real foul. Take a deep breath and
enjoy the ride.

HAND
Old March 12th 05, 03:00 PM
Bestest Handsander

"GaryG" wrote in message
So, I'm out on my regular training route this afternoon minding my own
business. The area is rural, and the road is narrow, with a 45 mph speed
limit. I ride this route a lot, and many of the locals know me and wave,
but there's this one peckerwood redneck who doesn't like bikes on the
road.

Snip

I carry a cell phone (small one) on all my rides. "911" is on the speed
dial. When someone acts up, I whip it out and push "9". It's amazing how
fast people calm down and drive away when they hear me talking to the
dispatcher describing their felonious behavior.

YMMV

Old March 12th 05, 03:05 PM
MJR

GaryG wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry that happened to you. I think that the absolute best thing
to do would have been to somehow sterilize the redneck, but I can't
think of a legal or practical way to do that.

I disagree that it was "simple assault." It sounds more like assault
with a dangerous or deadly weapon. Of course, I dont know what the
laws are in your state, but unless it is Alabama where a pickup truck
is a sacred object, not a weapon, it probably would constitute
something greater than simple assault.

So... what do you do?

Well, for starters, I would have to say that the safest thing would be
to just avoid that road from now on. All it takes is this idiot to
mis-judge his desire to spook you, and *smack*, you've got a
rear-view-mirror indent in your spine, and you never walk again. So,
the smartest thing to do is to just avoid all confrontation with
someone so stupid. Stupidity is really the most powerful force in
human nature -- because it permits you to do ANYTHING. Stupidity will
even rule over courage and love. (hence our current President).

So... just avoid that road and all rednecks and you should be safe.

That being said, it sounds like this will not be a course of action
that you are willing or able to follow. And, it sounds like you want
to do *something.*

Well, if you are going to do *something,* I think that you have a
responsibility to do something more effective than a letter to the
editor. Your letter idea presupposes that this guy can and does read.
Once the letter is published, it will probably be a source of pride to
him -- not a wake-up call. The letter will probably be tacked to the
wall next to a picture of Dale Earnhardt, and while this guy drinks
coors light with his buddies with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth,
he'll joyfully read it aloud (with someone helping with the big words).

So... do you involve the police? Probably a good idea. But, in my
experience, unless the "crime" involves underage drinking or harassing
black people, law enforcement is usually not too interested in doing
anything. If you have a friend on the police force, perhaps you could
agree to help him catch a 20 year old with a beer in his hand in
exchange for him caring about this issue. Ultimately, it will be your
word against the redneck's word... and given that this makes a case
pretty difficult to prove, even a pretty conscientious police officer
(I must confess that I have not met too many) will not be very
interested in this situation. And, finding a prosecutor to take up the
case will be even more difficult.

So... do you go through the elaborate scheme of creating a "sting?"
That seems like an awful lot of effort, but given that you have a
general read on this guy's travel habits, perhaps riding with a buddy
who can act as a witness would help. Ultimately, you'll at least need
to identify this guy, if not have an eyewitness to his actions. Right
now, in Gainesville, Fla., there is a similar asshole who is facing
criminal charges for a very similar incident. Now, if one can interest
the Alachua County Sherriff's department in anything that doesn't
involve hassling college students, then there is hope for anyone,
anywhere, to bring such a person to justice - and there is hope that
there are some police officers out there who actually believe in
protecting the public from something other than marijuana.

Now here is where it gets tricky. I'm going to presuppose that you
will identify the guy. I'm also going to presuppose that you'll never
get a cop or a prosecutor to care. But... if you can, then good for
you. IF you can't, then I think you should still do something -- file
a civil suit against the redneck.

In this civil suit, you should seek $1 in damages and an order from the
court enjoining Mr. Redneck from specific behavior. Now, will he look
at this as "nothing but a piece of paper?" He might... but judges get
awfully grouchy at people who disobey their orders. I know of an
elderly couple who spent 30 days in jail for putting a sign in their
yard after a judge told them not to. Sure, it will be no more than a
court order to obey the law, but it will change the playing field. To
charge the guy with a crime, you need to prove that he committed the
crime "beyond a reasonable doubt." To get an injunction, you don't
even need to prove that he did what you say he did. There *might* even
be a lower standard in your state to just seek a restraining order,
which is kind of the same thing as an injunction, but it could have a
much lower standard of proof. I know in Florida, it would require
"repeat violence." It sounds like you've got that standard hit
already.

Doing THAT will take your time, money, attention, and long-term focus.
You might even need to hire an attorney. Probably not for a
restraining order, but please understand that I am giving you VERY
general issues to consider. I don't even know what state you are in,
let alone what the laws are there (unless you are in MA or FL).

So.. (and now I am presuming that you would have the wherewithal to
file a civil suit) what if you can't afford to hire an attorney, and
you don't think you can do it yourself? Well, there might be a cyclist
attorney who would help you for free just on principle. Don't laugh.
Attorneys have an ethical obligation to take a few pro-bono cases, and
some of us actually DO live up to that obligation (sadly, not many).
On the other hand, you could appeal to the selfish nature of an
attorney to do it for free. For example, if I did personal injury law,
I would be able to see the public relations/advertising benefit of
being known in town as "the guy who helped the cyclist for free."

Lets presume that you can't find an attorney who will take the case for
free. Often there are attorneys who (if you can't afford it) will send
you down the DIY path. I've never sent someone with a just cause
packing because they couldnt afford to hire me. I can't take every
case for free (although about 30% of my work IS for free -- hence my
bikes are worth more than my car), but I ALWAYS at least spend 30 mins
or so telling someone how to try and do it themselves.

So... see if there is a lawyer who will help you. And don't presume
that we're all greedy *******s who don't care about the public
interest. I just recently concluded a case that took about 30 hours of
my time. About two weeks after it was all over, the party I helped for
free sent me a $100 home depot gift card. That $100 was far sweeter
than $10K in actual fees paid to me. And, there are plenty others like
me out there.

If you can't find a single lawyer to care -- I'll be happy to at least
point you in a direction to do some self-research. But, given that
you're internet savvy, you'll probably need no more than google to get
yourself started.

Good luck and stay safe.

Old March 12th 05, 03:17 PM
bikeguy11968

Once again bikeguy to the rescue. 2 years ago on a small training ride
with 12 other people, we were cruising down a paved wide straight 2
lane road. 2 seperate groups. I was in the front group crusining along
at the spin crushing pace of 18mph. We could hear a car moving
extremely fast behind us. This is 7am too btw. As we turn a corner,
the car turns behind us. Extreme high speed close proximity pass
ensues. We of course follow up with some single fingered hand
gestures. THis results in a 4 wheel skid, followed by high speed
reverse, and swerving all over the road. The driver didn't come to
within 20 feet of us but the intention was clear. Then she sped off.
So now I'm good an agitated. I pursue on my bike. Chase for 100m, she
turns right, I follow. She turns left into a horse farm. I follow
again. She then stops her car, gets out in riding regalia as if
nothing happend. I "politely" thank her for sharing the road and being
a considerate human being. She responds that she is sick of "US" taking
over the roads every summer and that we should go someplace else. I
respond that we do have the right to ride under NYS law blah blah blah
and that she is full of something horses leave around. She sort of
wanders away. BY this time my riding companians have come to check on
my to ensure I haven't killed anyone. I return to the scene of the
crime, and call the cops. I got the license number. And a mostly
accurate description of the chick. Turns out the registered driver
matched my description, and had a license under suspension. So the cop
returns to the horse farm, looking for the perp. He returns to me, and
says, "well, they were all dressed that way, and sort of that age, and
no one would come forward when asked. Go figure"
He didn't really know how to proceed. I countered with, "well, we know
which car is hers, why not stake it out for a while.." Confronted with
this cold hard logic, on a nice relaxing summer morning, he said, "hmm.
okay."
Final result- Perp confronted, caught, and name posted in local paper
under the rap sheet. Some fashion of charges laid as well, although I
am not certain about those.
Follow up- Next week's ride, same route, same car passes us at a sedate
rate of speed. Same driver. I decide to make a call to my friendly
neighborhood cop, and ask if the license has magically been re-instated
5 days after a violation. He says "hell no.. I smell a biiig fine.."
End result- More stuff in paper, loss of license, cash fines etc. A
small victory, but a victory none the less.

Old March 12th 05, 03:22 PM
MJR

bikeguy11968 wrote:
[...]

THAT is a happy story, Bikeguy! Kind of a shame that YOU had to do
that thinking for the cop, but good for you!

Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM
Cycling road rage. Vic. UK 14 June 9th 04 08:27 PM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 2 June 3rd 04 03:01 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM