Craig's List

Old May 20th 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Craig's List

I have had three really good bikes for sale on Craig's list for over two years now and I got a bite on one of them yesterday. It was the Redline cross bike that is in nearly new condition with a flat bar and hydraulic disks.

At the time I built it up hydraulic disk drop bar levers were just coming onto the market and were impossibly expensive.

It has Avid brakes and Deore or better everything else. The drive train is absolutely silent. It has Campy wheels on it and 32 mm knobbies. It is probably the best gravel bike I could think of.

It turned out to be nothing more than a looky-Lou and the bike is back on the ceiling hangers.

But I am very surprised that three GOOD bikes with good equipment in almost new condition can go absolutely untouched for so long now. Why would you pay $1600 for a fair frame from Specialized with bottom of the heap parts new instead of $1100 for a Redline that is SOOOO nice?

The only new bikes I've ever bought was the Time Elite frame and fork and the Colnago CLX frame and fork and both of these were shop models that had laid around too long.

My 62 cm Pinarello Stelvio is perhaps one of the finest road bikes you could have. While the frame and fork are a lb and a half heavier than most carbon fiber bikes if you were a weight weenie you could get it below the 20 lb.. mark on the road. More importantly you can descent anything without a thought that the frame or aluminum wheelset might break. I always wonder about my superlight bikes now.

When you can get a Pinarello with a totally rebuilt 10 speed lever set and perfect shifting why would you get anything with the level below Tiagra which only shifts well for a couple of months?

Perhaps the marketplace will improve their act but I think that it will take too long.
Old May 20th 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 1:49:43 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

For sale for over two years with only one bite on three bikes means either there's no interest in the type of bike you're selling or your prices are too high.

Cheers
Old May 21st 19, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 12:49:43 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Concerning why used bikes do not sell for much. Bicycle technology, parts changes pretty quickly. Recently anyway. Think about old cars. Unless you are COLLECTING them, you never buy or even drive old cars. Compared to anything new, all old cars are junk for performance and comfort and handling.. A new 2018-19 Civic, Accord, Camry will out sprint and corner a 1960s or 1970s Mustang or Camaro.

Unless you are buying the old bikes or cars for utilitarian purposes. And then you just want cheap.
Old May 21st 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 12:29:19 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

If someone isn't willing to pay $1,100 for a top end cross bike with absolutely new XT components on it set up perfectly and would rather buy a low end Specialized with the Shimano below Tiagra for $1,600 it isn't me who has prices set too high.

A completely rebuilt, repainted and perfectly set up Pinarello Stelvio with totally rebuilt Record components for the same price vs. a CF low end bike with Tiagra components? And only one lb difference in weight? If you were a weight weenie you could get the Pinarello to weigh the same as most of the competition.

The Ridley rides so well off-road that you can't fault it at all. As a cross bike I've taken it on routes that MTB's hesitate. A hundred bucks cheaper than the others and the only thing close to it costs over two grand.

Now maybe you're one of those people that think that buying from Craig's list means getting bottom dollar but I'm not. I'll keep them in the garage until I die before I throw thousands of dollars away because idiots don't know good from so-so.

Old May 21st 19, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 10:27:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

The Redline has hydraulic disks and rolls soundlessly plus it pedals soundlessly as well. The XT components are all new and it has Campy wheels and barely worn 32 mm knobbies that work well in soft dirt or hard gravel.

What is this "new technology" that you think is necessary? Or a bike that only a collector would want?
Old May 21st 19, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:40:17 AM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

YOU said "necessary". Not me. YOU. All I said was people want new, current, modern, latest bicycles. Not older, "out of date". I have no interest in riding downtube friction shifters and 5 speed freewheels. Unless its a short easy Sunday afternoon ride to relive the past and experience what the old timers used for fun. Not for "serious" riding.

Or a bike that only a collector would want?

I doubt there are any cyclocross bikes that are collectible. Other than just to have sitting around and see how things were different in the 1950s. Cyclocross racers are not really famous. I think only whole bikes ridden by famous racers are collectible. Very few of the individual parts are collectible. Maybe some 1970s and earlier Campagnolo Nuovo Record parts are collectible. Maybe C-Record in the late 1980s because it was so gorgeous and beautiful. Few or none of the frames by themselves are collectible. Unless it was proven to be hand built and lugged by Ernesto himself when he started making frames.
Old May 21st 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 9:40:17 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

The bottom line is that you take a huge hit on Craigslist, and anyone who swiftly agrees to pay full price is a scammer. The problem is compounded with big bikes. My brother has sold some high-end bikes for pretty good prices on Facebook market or whatever the Facebook product is. These were nice DH and Cross Country MTBs. He is downsizing his fleet an avoids Craigslist..

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 22nd 19, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 21 May 2019 09:35:56 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

[...]

Tom, there are basically two reasons why people don't buy things (1)
they don't want it and (2) the price is too high.

And, in real terms an item is only as valuable as what someone will
give you for it. Think a pound of gold on a desert island...
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 22nd 19, 11:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/21/2019 1:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

The bottom line is that you take a huge hit on Craigslist, and anyone who swiftly agrees to pay full price is a scammer. The problem is compounded with big bikes. My brother has sold some high-end bikes for pretty good prices on Facebook market or whatever the Facebook product is. These were nice DH and Cross Country MTBs. He is downsizing his fleet an avoids Craigslist.

True. Perhaps the best place to sell used higher-end bicycles is through
a bicycle club's web site or newsletter. People shopping on craigslist
are willing to pay slightly above garage sale prices.

I see the same thing occasionally with used cars. The problem is that
new cars are so heavily discounted that used cars, especially recent
vintage Hondas and Toyotas are a bad deal used. It's complicated by the
fact that those people selling their ca0rs after only one or two years
are the people that most likely paid way too much for them in the first
place. It's not uncommon to see a one to two year old Camry or Accord,
Corolla or Civic, advertised for the same or higher price than the same
model costs new.
Old May 22nd 19, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 1:11:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

What are you talking about? In what universe are you assuming that three year old Cyclocross frames with all new components including hydraulic disk brakes is a downtube shifter with old Campy Super Record flexible rim brakes..

I think that you should talk to your psychologist about your entries here.

Has Craig Chilton been banned? \J\ UK 3 December 23rd 09 07:24 PM
Craig Hummer's Transitions samson[_3_] Racing 3 July 26th 08 08:15 PM
relatively amusing craig's list ad Claire General 33 May 20th 08 12:58 AM
F/S Craig Metalcraft Masterlink Eric Axford Marketplace 0 December 3rd 04 06:10 AM
Craig? No more Indians! Mountain Biking 5 July 3rd 03 05:53 PM