casing ends in shifters

Old May 6th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug B.

Default casing ends in shifters

I bought a pair of used Chorus Ergo shifters on Ebay and they both
have metal cable casing ends in the brake cable holes. Nothing in the
derailleur holes.
They don't want to come out easily. Before I destroy them, can anyone
verify they are not part of the shifter assembly?
Thanks.
Doug B.
Old May 6th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Why dig 'em out? Leave 'em in place, fit the housing and cables and
your good to go.

BTW, I don't recall seeing anything looking like casing ends in any of
my Ergos, FWIW.

MW

Old May 6th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Sun, 06 May 2007 15:01:33 -0700, onebadscooter wrote:

Why dig 'em out? Leave 'em in place, fit the housing and cables and
your good to go.

BTW, I don't recall seeing anything looking like casing ends in any of
my Ergos, FWIW.

My Ergos came with ferules for Campagnolo's 4.5 mm housing. You'll need to
replace them if you want to use 5 mm housing. They're easy enough to get
out without much destruction if you use a tap that just barely digs
into the sides of the ferule. A too-wide tap would probably make the
problem worse.
Old May 7th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On May 6, 4:43 pm, Gary Young wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2007 15:01:33 -0700, onebadscooter wrote:
Why dig 'em out? Leave 'em in place, fit the housing and cables and
your good to go.

BTW, I don't recall seeing anything looking like casing ends in any of
my Ergos, FWIW.

My Ergos came with ferules for Campagnolo's 4.5 mm housing. You'll need to
replace them if you want to use 5 mm housing. They're easy enough to get
out without much destruction if you use a tap that just barely digs
into the sides of the ferule. A too-wide tap would probably make the
problem worse.

Those are for the derraileur, not the brake.

Old May 7th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Doug B. wrote:
I bought a pair of used Chorus Ergo shifters on Ebay and they both
have metal cable casing ends in the brake cable holes. Nothing in the
derailleur holes.
They don't want to come out easily. Before I destroy them, can anyone
verify they are not part of the shifter assembly?

Don't need them and in fact they stick badly. Pull 'em out with a drill
bit turned by hand.
Gear casing ferrules yes, brake no.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old May 7th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug B.

On Sun, 06 May 2007 19:27:09 -0500, A Muzi
wrote:

Doug B. wrote:
I bought a pair of used Chorus Ergo shifters on Ebay and they both
have metal cable casing ends in the brake cable holes. Nothing in the
derailleur holes.
They don't want to come out easily. Before I destroy them, can anyone
verify they are not part of the shifter assembly?

Don't need them and in fact they stick badly. Pull 'em out with a drill
bit turned by hand.
Gear casing ferrules yes, brake no.

Thanks for the replies. I will try the drill bit suggestion.
Doug B.
Old May 7th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Doug B." wrote in message
I bought a pair of used Chorus Ergo shifters on Ebay and they both
have metal cable casing ends in the brake cable holes. Nothing in the
derailleur holes.
They don't want to come out easily. Before I destroy them, can anyone
verify they are not part of the shifter assembly?
Thanks.
Doug B.

I find that a great source of aggravation. I've tried penetrating oil and
also extremely vigilant use of a drill press. What I found works best is to
mung up the ferrule (metal casing end), then use a thin pick or nail set to
push the ferrule out from the top part of the lever, (through the hole that
the cable would run through).

Old May 7th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On May 6, 10:19 pm, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
"Doug B." wrote in message

I bought a pair of used Chorus Ergo shifters on Ebay and they both
have metal cable casing ends in the brake cable holes. Nothing in the
derailleur holes.
They don't want to come out easily. Before I destroy them, can anyone
verify they are not part of the shifter assembly?
Thanks.
Doug B.

I find that a great source of aggravation. I've tried penetrating oil and
also extremely vigilant use of a drill press. What I found works best is to
mung up the ferrule (metal casing end), then use a thin pick or nail set to
push the ferrule out from the top part of the lever, (through the hole that
the cable would run through).

Also a small ******* file, stuck into the ferrules, pulls them out
quite nicely.

Old May 7th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On May 6, 7:22 am, Doug B. wrote:
I bought a pair of used Chorus Ergo shifters on Ebay and they both
have metal cable casing ends in the brake cable holes. Nothing in the
derailleur holes.
They don't want to come out easily. Before I destroy them, can anyone
verify they are not part of the shifter assembly?
Thanks.
Doug B.

They are NOT!!!. No ferrules in the brake holes of ERGO, from 1997
onwards. People that put these into ERGO and STI oughto not repair
their bicycle.

Old May 8th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug B.

On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:22:17 -0400, Doug B. wrote:

I bought a pair of used Chorus Ergo shifters on Ebay and they both
have metal cable casing ends in the brake cable holes. Nothing in the
derailleur holes.
They don't want to come out easily. Before I destroy them, can anyone
verify they are not part of the shifter assembly?
Thanks.
Doug B.

Some PBlaster and a drill bit in the vise got them rotating. Slow,
counter clockwise rotation of the shifter body, and they backed out.

Thanks to everyone.
Doug B.