Inconsiderate bikers

Old August 4th 04, 05:29 PM
Maybe_one_time

Default Inconsiderate bikers

I just started mountain biking (Gary Fisher and eggbeaters) and find it very
rewarding and a great workout.

But I am disturbed by the number of bikers here in New Mexico that do not
obey the rules and postings that are meant to protect the Open Space here in
Albuquerque.

In the back areas it is clearly posted "Do not enter, restoration in
progress" and they even put barriers across to keep you from entering.
Guess what, bikers go around the barriers, ride in the off-limits areas and
leave tire tracks for all the hikers to see and get angry at.

Any suggestions? These people may well ruin it for all of us.

Thanks,
James

Old August 4th 04, 06:52 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-04, Maybe_one_time penned:
I just started mountain biking (Gary Fisher and eggbeaters) and find
it very rewarding and a great workout.

But I am disturbed by the number of bikers here in New Mexico that do
not obey the rules and postings that are meant to protect the Open
Space here in Albuquerque.

In the back areas it is clearly posted "Do not enter, restoration in
progress" and they even put barriers across to keep you from entering.
Guess what, bikers go around the barriers, ride in the off-limits
areas and leave tire tracks for all the hikers to see and get angry
at.

Any suggestions? These people may well ruin it for all of us.

I have the same concerns here in Colorado. If you figure out how to get
them to behave themselves, please let me know.

I used to think that maybe they just didn't know any better, but as my
dad said: "No, they're just assholes. If they cared, they would make it
their business to know."

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old August 4th 04, 07:20 PM
Paladin

"Maybe_one_time" wrote in message
I just started mountain biking (Gary Fisher and eggbeaters) and find it

very
rewarding and a great workout.

But I am disturbed by the number of bikers here in New Mexico that do not
obey the rules and postings that are meant to protect the Open Space here

in
Albuquerque.

In the back areas it is clearly posted "Do not enter, restoration in
progress" and they even put barriers across to keep you from entering.
Guess what, bikers go around the barriers, ride in the off-limits areas

and
leave tire tracks for all the hikers to see and get angry at.

Any suggestions? These people may well ruin it for all of us.

Thanks,
James

We don't have that much of a problem here in SW Idaho, (almost -0-) though
we have a fairly large mtnbike community. There's zealous peer pressure to
obey the rules, where riders pretty much police other riders. The bike
shops tell new bike owners how to behave, and I think some have handouts of
the rules. This should be a must. But I think it takes education and
constant repetition and reminder and that peer pressure I mentioned.

And an intolerance for Barneys that lets them know in very certain terms
that they are out of line. If you see it happen, yell at them. If you can,
chase them down and get in their face. Explain to them that their
momentary thrill could shut the whole thing down for everybody.

If they're stupid jerks that won't listen, but wanna fight, take your frame
pump and shove it in their chest just beneath their ribs. In a friendly
way, of course.

paladin

paladin

Old August 4th 04, 11:25 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
But I am disturbed by the number of bikers here in New Mexico that do not
obey the rules and postings that are meant to protect the Open Space here in
Albuquerque.

In the back areas it is clearly posted "Do not enter...

It's partially the "one-percenter" effect. IMHO one reason why nobody should
want their favorite passtimes to be come too popular - MTB-ing,
Windsurfing.....current becoming a recognized phenomonon in kitesurfing...

Once the raw numbers exceed a certain level, one percent becomes enough people
to cause problems.

Another part is education. At least some of those people aren't thinking too
deeply and if there were some way to make them see the consequences at least
some of them would change their behavior.

--
PeteCresswell
Old August 5th 04, 12:01 AM
p e t e f a g e r l i n

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

It's partially the "one-percenter" effect. IMHO one reason why nobody should
want their favorite passtimes to be come too popular - MTB-ing,
Windsurfing.....current becoming a recognized phenomonon in kitesurfing...

I went windsurfing for the first time in a while
this weekend and I was amazed at how many
kitesurfing kooks there are out there.

Coupled with the numerous windsurfing kooks that
apparently don't understand "starboard," it made
for a crazy day.

Boy did I feel like a grumpy retro dude as I
out-pointed and out-sailed numerous nimrods on
equipment made by companies that I didn't even
recognize.

--
petefagerlin.com

everything that is wrong with the internet
Old August 5th 04, 12:32 AM
BB

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:25:42 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

It's partially the "one-percenter" effect. IMHO one reason why nobody should
want their favorite passtimes to be come too popular - MTB-ing,
Windsurfing.....current becoming a recognized phenomonon in kitesurfing...

Sounds reasonable, but there are scads of mountain bikers in Portland, and
a lot of the ride in a 5,100-acre metro forest park with 74 miles of
fireroad and hiking-only singletrack. This is some sweet-looking
singletrack, and you'd think that 1% would be causing conflict by riding
there. But I pass by singletrack trailheads all the time and have seen
bike tracks only once in 8 years. On most trailheads, I've never seen any.

It must have something to do with attitude and education as well.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old August 5th 04, 12:34 AM
Stephen Baker

Pete Fagerlin says:

Coupled with the numerous windsurfing kooks that
apparently don't understand "starboard," it made
for a crazy day.

I honestly sometimes feel that people should have to take a test before they're
allowed on the water. Powerboaters should have to take 2 tests
We had a collision (and near-death) in the Bay here last year where a
powerboater was playing around to see how high he could get the bow. In the
harbor entrance where 3 classes of dinghies were racing, tour boats going in
and out, etc. He ran over a Hobie cat, got the trap wires around his prop and
nearly "ate" the crew. Luckily his wife killed the engines because she heard a
funny noise. He quite literally could not see where he was going in one of the
busiest harbors on the east coast.

Assholes!

Steve

Old August 5th 04, 03:29 AM
gabrielle

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:34:18 +0000, Stephen Baker wrote:

I honestly sometimes feel that people should have to take a test before they're
allowed on the water.

You misspelled "out of their houses".

gabrielle (why, yes, it's been one of *those* days)
Old August 5th 04, 11:56 AM
Stephen Baker

Gab says:

You misspelled "out of their houses".

Again? Dang! ;-)

Steve
Old August 5th 04, 03:21 PM
R.White

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote in message om...
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

It's partially the "one-percenter" effect. IMHO one reason why nobody should
want their favorite passtimes to be come too popular - MTB-ing,
Windsurfing.....current becoming a recognized phenomonon in kitesurfing...

I went windsurfing for the first time in a while
this weekend and I was amazed at how many
kitesurfing kooks there are out there.

Coupled with the numerous windsurfing kooks that
apparently don't understand "starboard," it made
for a crazy day.

Boy did I feel like a grumpy retro dude as I
out-pointed and out-sailed numerous nimrods on
equipment made by companies that I didn't even
recognize.

Wow, I had the same type of experience as I clamped my metal
skates to my shoes to do some roller skating at the park.
All these kooks on these newfangled "rollerblade" thingies
whipping around at speeds I never imagined could be possible.
What will they think of next, a horseless carriage? Poppycock!

Later I donned my top hat and with my walking cane I went for a
walk. I strolled to where the calliope used to play only to be met
by a group of dastardly young hoodlums who were no doubt up to no
good. I asked one rather oddly dressed young man "Excuse me laddy,
can you tell me where the calliope is?" He replied "I got your
calliope right here beeotch" as he grabbed himself in the nether region.
I was agast at such shenanigans. I bid him good day and he then
consficated my cane, shoved it up my anal canal and proceded
to "bitch slap" me until I capitulated. It does seem the times
are a changing.