Welding Cranks Question's

Old May 3rd 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

Default Welding Cranks Question's

Hey, i was going to buy some Quax 10 spline cranks, but i see their only
comming in 170mm's now. My borther spawned the idea, Why not cut them,
then weld them? I didnt think too much of it, i thought of it would
kill the strength of them. Then, my dad was talking to me, and said, if
done right, they'd be just like new. He welded for about 15-20 years
for a company in town, so he knows what hes talking about for welding.
I just wanted a second opinion to the question,

Would this weaken the cranks? Thus possibly being able to snap them?

Thanks,

Graham

--
unibikeling

'Sixsixone.com - Great gear for all riding!' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Ducttape wrote:
Grrr! I think I may poo myself in Anger...

Old May 3rd 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StephenH

You really wouldn't know until you tried.

One problem I see is getting the pieces lined up just exactly right.

With a piece of mystery metal, you never really know what you're
getting into. If the cranks are a high-carbon steel or are a
heat-treated alloy steel or aluminum, they might be weldable, but you
might need to repeat the heat treatment after the welding.

I would think you'd want to make the weld out near the pedal end where
forces are lower.

--
StephenH
Old May 3rd 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

You might be better off cutting off the end, then drilling a hole and
re-tapping the pedal threads.

But the Qu-ax cranks are big hunks of metal, I'm sure welding them is
possible. Getting them really straight would be tricky; you'd have to
have good cuts, and good welding.

--
tholub
Old May 3rd 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

tholub wrote:
You might be better off cutting off the end, then drilling a hole and
re-tapping the pedal threads.

But the Qu-ax cranks are big hunks of metal, I'm sure welding them is
possible. Getting them really straight would be tricky; you'd have to
have good cuts, and good welding.

yeah, im sure my dad could get em straight and strong. So i'm gonna buy
those later today, but right now, i'm gonna practice some street stuff
on it with the wobbly cranks, it shouldnt hurt it at all, considering
its just gonna be unispins.

Old May 3rd 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vanpaun

why dont you just weld the wobblys on

--
vanpaun

Getting good is'nt about wanting it, needing it, paying for it; its
about commiting to it. Sure, you may be able to n-spin, flip, drop; but
will you stick with it, live for it, go through pain for it. If not,
your not good. Your wasted effort. Unless you buy 661's .
Old May 3rd 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

vanpaun wrote:
why dont you just weld the wobblys on

because i dont wanna kill my axel. Plus i need to take them off
eventually to paint my rim.

Old May 3rd 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

tholub wrote:
You might be better off cutting off the end, then drilling a hole and
re-tapping the pedal threads.

they're hollow

--
DustinSchaap

DUTCH UNICYCLIST COMMUNITY:
EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://EENWIEL.NL\")
SPONSORS:
MUNICYCLE.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.EINRADLADEN.NET/SHOP/INDEX.PHP/LANGUAGE/EN\")
AND QU-AX (\"HTTP://QU-AX.COM/\")

*Ah, but can you compress your tire like this?*
Old May 3rd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

DustinSchaap wrote:
they're hollow

Yeah, i also know that. My dad said it'd work fine.

Old May 3rd 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

rewelding them would be fine, but you can't tap pedals in a hollow space
i dont know how it would work strengthwise, but i like the
idea.. what size are you going for?

Old May 3rd 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

DustinSchaap wrote:
rewelding them would be fine, but you can't tap pedals in a hollow space
i dont know how it would work strengthwise, but i like the
idea.. what size are you going for?

Well, i'm gonna remove about an inch (2.5cm or 25mm) Making it a 145
instead of 170's. I'll probably match em to my current ones so they
dont feel too awkward.