Mystery braze-ons on Giant MTB frames

Old June 11th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Mystery braze-ons on Giant MTB frames

Hi,

On several Giant MTBs (dating from the 1990s), I've spotted some
brazed on bosses that I can't see the purpose of.

The first is inside the left fork leg (and only on that side) and is
about 25mm below the left cantilever post (but at 90deg to it).
Perhaps a dynamo fitting?

The second (pair) are on the front sides of the seatstays and about
60mm further up (towards the saddle) than the cantilever posts. You
can see one of them in this pic

http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sl380202ws2.jpg

Any ideas, please?

Richard.
Old June 11th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Colin MacDonald

The dynamo fitting sounds like a good guess to me. For the others,
I'd say rack mounting bosses. It looks like there are appropriate
holes down by the hub as well.

Colin

Old June 11th 08, 09:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

wrote:

The second (pair) are on the front sides of the seatstays and about
60mm further up (towards the saddle) than the cantilever posts. You
can see one of them in this pic

http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sl380202ws2.jpg

Any ideas, please?

ring lock
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old June 11th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley[_2_]

On Jun 11, 4:26 am, wrote:

The second (pair) are on the front sides of the seatstays and about
60mm further up (towards the saddle) than the cantilever posts. You
can see one of them in this pic

http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sl380202ws2.jpg

..

They looks too narrowly fitted to be for a rack (and a little low) so
the shopper's lock idea sounds right.

Oh, and that bike has tire creep. Watch those valve stems!
Old June 12th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Snortley

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:16:02 -0700 (PDT), Brian Huntley
wrote:

Oh, and that bike has tire creep. Watch those valve stems!

Chain "stretch," too. Time for a new one, before it kills the
cogs.