Unicon 14: results 10km

Old July 27th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

Default Unicon 14: results 10km

Hey everyone,

Greetings from Denmark, where we've ridden the 10km race this morning.
A unique experience and! A NEW WORLD RECORD! For the results (top 10)
you can look at:

*-'-w-w-w-.-e-e-n-w-i-e-l-.-n-l-'-
-(-h-t-t-p-:-/-/-w-w-w-.-e-e-n-w-i-e-l-.-n-l-)-*-

Cheers,

Dustin

--
DustinSchaap

DUTCH UNICYCLIST COMMUNITY:
EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://EENWIEL.NL\")
SPONSORS:
MUNICYCLE.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.EINRADLADEN.NET/SHOP/INDEX.PHP/LANGUAGE/EN\")
AND QU-AX (\"HTTP://QU-AX.COM/\")

*Ah, but can you compress your tire like this?*
Old July 27th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

Thanks for the update and congratulations to you! Keep us posted!

--
rem48
Old July 27th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jim

Congratulations on doing so well without gears against all those geared
unicycles.

jim

--
Jim
Old July 28th 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

blimey, chuck is just silly fast - a minute and a half over everyone
else over 20 minutes, that's 7.5% faster. I mean after RTL, it was
pretty obvious he was the fastest rider in the world, but that fast is
just mad.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new
pics' (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
Old July 28th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wolfgang.schaper

I am a little bit irritated. According to the 'Unicon participants list'
(http://tinyurl.com/6kttly), there's no Chuck Edwall registered. Any
explanations on that?

--
wolfgang.schaper
Old July 28th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

wolfgang.schaper wrote:
I am a little bit irritated. According to the 'Unicon participants list'
(http://tinyurl.com/6kttly), there's no Chuck Edwall registered. Any
explanations on that?

Chuck registered at the last moment and Patrick Smit (place 11) did
too, but they got in the race anyway. It will be interesting to see how
the fixed wheels will do in the marathon against Schlumpfs. Marathon
results will be posted tommorow evening in English and Dutch (the race
is tommorow).

Old July 28th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Dustin, you missed the marathon practice ride!

Tomorrows marathon is a 36" Sclumpf course....expect Chuck to blow
everyone away

Having said that, I think either Sam or Dustin on a 36" Sclumpf would
be pretty unbeatable too. I saw Sam ride a 36" Sclumpf for the first
time today...he was pulling away from me quite easily.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details.
Old July 28th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

20:01 for 10km is just a notch under 30km/hour as an average speed.
That's pretty incredible, considering that just *reaching* 30km/hour on
a unicycle was considered a notable feat not very long ago.

Others will arise to challenge Chuck, but it will require both strong
athleticism and many miles getting comfortable on the geared 36er.
Right now, there are probably 30-50 riders who could beat all the
existing records given the equipment, training, and organization to do
so. Within the next few years, I expect all the records will be pushed
to the point where only a few elite riders can contemplate beating them.

--
tholub
Old July 28th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

tholub wrote:
Right now, there are probably 30-50 riders who could beat all the
existing records given the equipment, training, and organization to do
so. Within the next few years, I expect all the records will be pushed
to the point where only a few elite riders can contemplate beating them.

30-50 riders? Really? Which records? I agree that all the unlimited
records will fall once people go onto geared; but the hour record, for
instance, at 27.18km around a 400m track is still insanely fast on a
fixed wheel. It is not any less of an achievement just because the
technology has changed.

From my own time trials I think going to a 29" Schlumpf gives you
approx 3% extra speed on the flat. Not sure about the 36" Schlumpf,
but Tony did beat his 29" Schlumpf PB by about 10% on his 36" Schlumpf.
No one has seen top riders (apart from Chuck) racing on a 36" Schlumpf
yet. And that's people like Sam, Roger, Patrick and Dustin. They will
give Chuck a good run for the money in future Very interesting
times indeed.

Old July 28th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

GizmoDuck wrote:
30-50 riders? Really? Which records? I agree that all the unlimited
records will fall once people go onto geared; but the hour record, for
instance, at 28.13km is still insanely fast on a fixed wheel. It is
not any less of an achievement just because the technology has
changed.

That's what I mean; the advent of the geared hub has put all those
records within the reach of a large group of unicyclists. Heck, I
could probably do 28.13km in an hour on a track; in RTL training I did
over 20km in under 48 minutes on rolling terrain, and that was on a
29er and included a UPD. But obviously Chuck could destroy 28.13km if
he decides to do so.

Probably once all the records get blown away by geared unis, we'll wind
up with a split like bicycling has, with the "unlimited" hour record and
the "traditional" hour record.

--
tholub

IUF Rules-10km thieum Unicycling 1 July 13th 08 06:38 PM
Pacing for a 10km TT [email protected] Racing 20 June 2nd 06 12:57 PM
1st 10km on the KHS folder... C.J.Patten General 1 June 2nd 05 12:27 AM
1st 10km on the KHS folder... C.J.Patten UK 0 June 1st 05 05:15 PM
10km stretch on Beach Rd DaveB Australia 4 May 26th 04 04:45 AM