REI Transfer - competition?

Old June 8th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

Default REI Transfer - competition?

I'm looking to buy a commuter bike for my son as he is off to
college. The REI Transfer looks like a knock-out. It's an upright
commuting bike with Shimano seven speed internal gears, 26' tires, v-
brakes, all fairly hassle-free, _and_ it's sold with a rack, shimano
dynamo front hub, fenders, and kickstand for $600. What other models
should I be looking at?

JG
Old June 8th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jun 8, 10:19 am, JG wrote:
I'm looking to buy a commuter bike for my son as he is off to
college. The REI Transfer looks like a knock-out. It's an upright
commuting bike with Shimano seven speed internal gears, 26' tires, v-
brakes, all fairly hassle-free, _and_ it's sold with a rack, shimano
dynamo front hub, fenders, and kickstand for $600. What other models
should I be looking at?

JG

What does your son like to ride?
Old June 8th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

JG wrote:
I'm looking to buy a commuter bike for my son as he is off to
college. The REI Transfer looks like a knock-out. It's an upright
commuting bike with Shimano seven speed internal gears, 26' tires, v-
brakes, all fairly hassle-free, _and_ it's sold with a rack, shimano
dynamo front hub, fenders, and kickstand for $600. What other models
should I be looking at?

What college? At my college, bike theft was so rampant that I'd never
have an expensive bicycle on campus.

Look at the Schwinn World Avenue 1. I've seen it on sale for as little
as $300 when combined with a Performance coupon and a Team Peformance
10% rebate.

"http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24141"

Also, note that at REI you should get an REI Visa card that gives you 5%
back in addition to the 10% dividend (usually it's 10%) that REI members
get on all non-sale items.
Old June 8th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 8, 12:19*pm, JG wrote:
I'm looking to buy a commuter bike for my son as he is off to
college. *The REI Transfer looks like a knock-out. *It's an upright
commuting bike with Shimano seven speed internal gears, 26' tires, v-
brakes, all fairly hassle-free, _and_ it's sold with a rack, shimano
dynamo front hub, fenders, and kickstand for $600. *What other models
should I be looking at?

Depends--the Transfer is near perfect and the price is right, but
bikes don't last long at college if they ain't locked right. If he's
committed to using a good lock right--put it on the short list along
with something like Jamis Commuter:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...ommuter3.html#

Internal gears are a must for anything that gets locked outside a lot.
Put a rust buster chain on it as well.

Now, if he's the sloppy type, and the bike's just gonna be a campus
scoot--get him a beach cruiser from Craigslist for $50 and a cable
lock--seriously, campus bikes get ripped off at a stupid high rate, no
reason to put a donation on the block.
Old June 8th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"JG" wrote in message
| I'm looking to buy a commuter bike for my son as he is off to
| college. The REI Transfer looks like a knock-out. It's an upright
| commuting bike with Shimano seven speed internal gears, 26' tires, v-
| brakes, all fairly hassle-free, _and_ it's sold with a rack, shimano
| dynamo front hub, fenders, and kickstand for $600. What other models
| should I be looking at?
|
| JG

For commuting bikes, I'm beginning to come around to the idea of disc
brakes. I thought they were silly at first; I was wrong. The big advantage
is that your brakes work, no matter how banged up your wheel is. Plus,
because the rim is designed to hold a tire in place rather than be a brake
surface as well, it can be made stronger for a given weight.

I'm selling boatloads of the Trek SU 2.0 for commuters and college kids. It
doesn't have a generator light, but inexpensive battery-operated lights with
long life & bright beams are pretty easy to find these days. Same for racks,
fenders & kickstands.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rt_urban/su20/

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 9th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
JG wrote:

I'm looking to buy a commuter bike for my son as he is off to
college. The REI Transfer looks like a knock-out. It's an upright
commuting bike with Shimano seven speed internal gears, 26' tires, v-
brakes, all fairly hassle-free, _and_ it's sold with a rack, shimano
dynamo front hub, fenders, and kickstand for $600. What other models
should I be looking at?

A shop local to the university selling reconditioned
bicycles from the 70's and 80's and a good lock.
Rack and drop in pannier for lugging books.

--
Michael Press
Old June 9th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

someone wrote:

I'm looking to buy a commuter bike for my son as he is off to
college. The REI Transfer looks like a knock-out. It's an upright
commuting bike with Shimano seven speed internal gears, 26' tires,
v- brakes, all fairly hassle-free, _and_ it's sold with a rack,
Shimano dynamo front hub, fenders, and kickstand for $600. What
other models should I be looking at?

Going to college? I suspect he should be essentially an adult by now
and ridden many miles. If he hasn't, that's where the choice of
bicycle got lost. Besides, if he hasn't ridden yet, commuting to
class will be only that so get a one speed balloon tired bicycle from
Goodwill and let him pay for it.

By the time most young men get to high school, they either know what
sort of bicycle they want to ride or they don't want to ride. How
long are you going to hold his hand, or better yet, let his mother do
so? What did he do for summer work, where a young people earn their
own money for such stuff?

I guess mom takes him to Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus to oversee his
wardrobe. What kind of BMW did he get for high school graduation?
"Poor" kid!

Jobst Brandt
Old June 9th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Pirrero

On Jun 8, 5:39 pm, wrote:
someone wrote:
[...]

It's too bad you didn't bother to use a shred of logic when you wrote
this post.

Nice emotional rant, however....

E.P.
Old June 9th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pat[_10_]

It's too bad you didn't bother to use a shred of logic when you wrote
this post.

Nice emotional rant, however....

E.P.

Yeah, that was weird! Sounded like the OP hit a sore nerve in Jobst's own
family tree.

air transfer MagillaGorilla[_2_] Racing 0 December 15th 07 06:27 AM
I am naturally physical, so I transfer you. X. B. Beninato-Kissam Marketplace 0 August 14th 07 06:59 AM
Secaucus Transfer Bill Taylor Rides 0 February 5th 06 02:22 PM
Polar data transfer question Jamie Smith Racing 12 November 18th 05 02:47 AM
Secaucus transfer and bicycles? Bill Taylor Rides 1 May 10th 05 04:06 AM