Why Are People Here?

Old August 29th 19, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Why Are People Here?

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 10:27:27 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:
I would like to know why Frank, John B, Jay and Ridesalot are here?
What have they EVER added to this group?

Because without them there'd be three readers in this newsgroup.

This started out as a group that Sheldon or Jobst would answer
technical questions. These are still answered but almost entirely by
Andrew.

Yes, and we never had political discussion, harsh words and the wind was
always at our backs. Ah, the good old days when we were young and
beautiful. Well, young in my case anyway.

As noted in another string,

"thread," not string.

John B, Jay and Frank argued that tubeless
tires are a waste of time and now that racers are turning more and
more to them so that they don't get flats and have lower rolling
resistance...

Measured rolling resistnce is higher, not lower, with tubeless. The
sealant sloshing around in there raises rolling resistance above that
resulting from adding a tube to the tire instead. But there are
tradeoffs on the plus side for tubless- sealing small punctures, much
reduced likelihood of pinch flats, allegedly even a cushier ride. And
like everything else there are some downsides. What compromises work
better for some might work less well for others. YMMV and all that.
Old August 29th 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

Tubeless tires have lower rolling resistance than a tire with a standard tube. Latex tubes have lower resistance. Latex tubes also flat if you look at them funny.

The ADVANTAGE of tubeless is that it is almost impossible to get a flat. I have but only under an extraordinary scenario - I hadn't pumped the tire up for a couple of weeks and while maneuvering across a heavy traffic street to turn left I hit a pothole that I didn't see while watching traffic I could. So the real reason for the flat was very low inflation pressure.