Tour de Fuzz

Old September 15th 19, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Tour de Fuzz

I did the Tour De Fuzz metric yesterday. They also have a hundred but I don't believe they had many riders. There were maybe a thousand riders in the metric and a large number of them were cops.

That was why it sort of surprised me that there were pretty poor bike handling and some especially bad acting.

Starting out I knew that these guys were either in extremely good shape or pretty dumb riders. No warmup and 17 mph out of the bucket. My brother went with them and finally I said screw that and slowed down to 15 or so until I achieved a good warmup. There isn't much climbing but there are one roller following another and a few of them get a good though short gradient.

As I warmed up and increased my speed up to 17 mph I had these club groups flying by at maybe 20. We weren't even in 10 MILES! and they were doing this.

Finally we hit the rest stop at 22 miles and I could see the results of this. No one wanted to get back on their bikes and my brother and I were some of the first to leave. Again groups would come flying by but this time my brother was only riding a quarter of a mile up the road and having a little problems from that riding without warming up.

Riders in these groups were dropping off of the back and I was catching up. I do not like to pass people going nearly the speed I am. Seems sort of smart assed. So I would ride with them or off of the back a little way since many of them had black kits and there was quite a bit of traffic on some parts of the course. And against these cops were riding stupid. You don't have a continuous string of bikes not letting the farmers cross the roads with their heavy equipment so I would have to block the road to let them through. Hit the second rest stop at 40 miles and again people didn't want to get out on the roads again. From here the rollers got closer together and with a higher pitch.

The passing groups were fewer and farther between and the people flaking off of the back more numerous. I can up behind one guy who was pretty large and he was on an MRB with knobbies on it. That guy was riding at 21 mph and hardly slowing for the rollers. I rode along behind him for perhaps five miles. For Christ's sake - that had to be near 400 watts! Suddenly he exploded big time. As I passed I wondered if he had seen me coming and was being a cop and trying to be better than me. My bike had to have half of the rolling resistance and was aero. On the downhills I was coasting as fast as he was pedaling!. Still VERY impressive. I was passing more and more people and caught up with my brother who was breaking down from riding too much in the big ring.

I was passing people all over the place now because there was such a large difference in our speeds. I even lost my brother for a little while and then got a call and stopped to get it. I figured he had bot a flat and was called in. As I was looking at it it was an F-ing Robocall from some 800 number and Bob came rolling past. I put everything away and passed the dozen people who had gotten by when I stopped and passed Bob again and tried to modify my speed to his.

He was calling me names because he kept asking me how far left we had and the numbers are so small that I can't tell a 2 from a 7 and that sort of thing. So I had said we only had five miles when we really had 10.

Anyway I recognized the inhabited outlying areas as we re-entered Santa Rosa And tried to lead everyone in since we had a left turn across a high traffic street. Made it and the ride in was easy.

They had BBQ meats but it looked more like a bonfire to me with all of the smoke. Ate, drank 3 bottles of water, had a beer and two glasses of wine and left. Bob's Infinity rides like a cushion.

If anyone would take advice I would suggest that they give themselves time to warm up before going fast. But people don't take that kind of advice so I'll end up passing most of them again at the next metric in the spring. I don't want to do the Harvest Century since this use almost the identical course.