Another idiot mountain biker!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 26th 14, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Another idiot mountain biker!

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

Bikers are dropping like flies and even experienced bikers
meet with the grim reaper. That is the price you pay for stupidity.

No, Ed, bikers are not dropping like flies. If they were then my club, with over 500 members, would have seen absolute carnage over the 20 years it's been running. Whereas, in reality, we've seen no fatalities and only two serious injuries. You can say the same thing again and again ... as you do ... but it doesn't make it true. You'd just like it to be the case.

The American West is perhaps more rugged than dowdy old England. Alpine trails are extremely dangerous.
[...]

There is simply no comparison between what hikers suffer on
the trails and what bikers suffer on the trails.

One can compare anything. The reality, as you know, is that hikers, just like bikers, fall and hurt themselves, get stuck, get exhausted and get caught out without the correct equipment. Shall I post the Lake District Mountain Rescue annual report again so you can read it and remind yourself ?

Ineeded, one can compare anything and when you compare hiking to biking there is such a huge difference that it becomes absurd to do so. Give me the details of the hiker accidents and I will explain what the hikers did wrong. Mountain bikers do not need to do anything wrong, just doing what comes naturally with a bike on a trail will get you injured or killed.
[...]

Hiking is a pastime; biking on trails is a sport. No risk to
hiking at all provided you do not do something stupid. Just do normal biking on
a trail and you will come to grief sooner or later.

Pastime or sport ... so what ? They are both RECREATION. You don't NEED to do either do you so they are activities undertaken solely because you wish to do so.

Regardless of motivation, they are different with different outcomes. Pastimes are not dangerous whereas many sports are.

And, if there is no risk to hiking, how come there are serious injuries and fatalities ?

There are not many serious injuries at all. Fatalities are extremely rare. Mostly just the kind of injuries that you do not even mention to others they are so slight. A stubbed toe or sprained ankle is as nothing compared to the kinds of injuries bikers suffer. NB ... we not talking about climbers.

The only mad fool here is you who would equate hiking and
biking as being equally safe when everyone knows differently. If and when you
ever began to report hiking accidents that compare with biking accidents with
respect to both seriousness and deaths, then and only then will you gain some
credibility.

Did I ever say that they were equally safe ? No, I didn't. Please retract.

They are not even in the same ball park when it comes to dangerousness.

I also posted the Lake District Mountain Rescue report which contains a record of all call outs that they attended ... irrespective of whether the victim was on foot, on a bike or in a vehicle. You will note that there are rather more accounts of hikers coming to grief than bikers.

“They are not even in the same ball park when it comes to dangerousness.” - Ed Dolan

Now, I know that this is because there are more hikers than bikers .... since, unlike you, I do understand population size when it comes to events and their occurrence. However, if you want to attain any credibility whatsoever you will need to acknowledge that and deal with it.

We do not need bikers on any trails at all, at least not those which hikers are using. There are now former hiking trails in the US that bikers have arrogated for themselves.

Mountain biking is NOT as safe as hiking but, and this is the critical part, neither of them are particularly dangerous ... they are both low risk activities in the main part. The exceptions, of course, being the more extreme end of the spectrum such as competitive downhill racing and rock climbing.

I agree about climbing being risky, but so is mountain biking. On flat terrain it is probably not so bad, but on rugged terrain you are risking life and limb.

Your simplistic, hiking = safe, biking = near certain death is complete rubbish as the real world data shows.

It is just a matter to time until mountain bikers who are biking in rugged terrain come to a bad end. Your “real world data” is irrelevant and immaterial since no one knows what is being measured, not even the people who are doing the measuring.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great