folding bike for touring

Old October 9th 11, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bobdobbs

Default folding bike for touring

I am a lifelong bike tourer contemplating buying a folding bike for
touring. Has anyone who has made the switch to a folding bike for long-
distance, self-contained touring had a positive experience? My
criteria a (a) folds quickly and easily (b) low and variable
gearing (c) supports panniers - I carry all of my stuff, including
camping gear (d) riding experience (as close as possible to a regular,
non-folding bike, re touring.

Looking for recommendations. I've looked at Brompton, but it doesn;t
seem to be able to carry much and the gearing isn't really appropriate
for touring. I have a triple chain ring and probably would want to get
down to the low 20's for low gears.
Old October 9th 11, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/8/2011 9:44 PM, bobdobbs wrote:

Looking for recommendations.

http://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/link-p24h

Saw these at Interbike. Very well designed and built. Far better than a
Brompton for touring, and better than a bike friday as well.
Old October 9th 11, 09:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

In article
,
bobdobbs wrote:

I am a lifelong bike tourer contemplating buying a folding bike for
touring. Has anyone who has made the switch to a folding bike for long-
distance, self-contained touring had a positive experience? My
criteria a (a) folds quickly and easily (b) low and variable
gearing (c) supports panniers - I carry all of my stuff, including
camping gear (d) riding experience (as close as possible to a regular,
non-folding bike, re touring.

Looking for recommendations. I've looked at Brompton, but it doesn;t
seem to be able to carry much and the gearing isn't really appropriate
for touring. I have a triple chain ring and probably would want to get
down to the low 20's for low gears.

The website "crazyguyonabike" now has 310 trip journals from people who
have toured with folding bikes. Maybe worth looking at some of those?
See (maybe after removing a page break in the following link):
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/c...tegory_id=315&
doctype=journal

The one I remember reading was from two people who who toured
Switzerland (hills and mountains!) on bikes that folded up and fit in a
suitcase. You could take the bike out, the suitcase had wheels and a
trailer hitch, and off you went, pulling your stuff in the
trailer/suitcase.

Regards,
Ned
Old October 9th 11, 09:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
paule

On Oct 9, 3:44*pm, bobdobbs wrote:
I am a lifelong bike tourer contemplating buying a folding bike for
touring. Has anyone who has made the switch to a folding bike for long-
distance, self-contained touring had a positive experience? *My
criteria a (a) folds quickly and easily (b) low and variable
gearing (c) supports panniers - I carry all of my stuff, including
camping gear (d) riding experience (as close as possible to a regular,
non-folding bike, re touring.

Looking for recommendations. I've looked at Brompton, but it doesn;t
seem to be able to carry much and the gearing isn't really appropriate
for touring. I have a triple chain ring and probably would want to get
down to the low 20's for low gears.

Bob, like you touring has always been my idea of cycling. As I got
older and heavier, I decided on a folder.Eventually settled on a
Montague Paratrooper.Reasons (1) 26 inch wheels (2) mountain bike
gears (3) only need to take off front wheel to fold (4) the box I use
to travel with bike is about half the size of a normal bike
box,travels for free on most planes. (5) strong enough to carry me and
gear .Outside of this I added a Tubus rack to the rear and one on the
front, also fit mudguards as required,front one took some lateral
thinking. Now about to buy my second folder, a Bike Friday Pocket
Llama Select 2011, about double the price with extras of my old
Paratrooper (2009 model) it will carry my weight plus rack and bags,
also folds a little smaller for carrying on trains (off back to Japan
for their winter) check it out on their site.ps; the Paratrooper is
still running well and was a worthwhile buy in my book.As for the Tern
bikes, they are good city bikes and some off road but not designed for
heavy touring, you might get away with a bar bag and some light
panniers on the rear if you can fit a rack, also they are very dear.
My paratrooper has around 5000 kms on road and off road touring on it,
the equipment on it is not top of the line but no problems so far.
Old October 9th 11, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/9/2011 1:58 AM, paule wrote:
On Oct 9, 3:44 pm, wrote:
[...]

Montague bikes don't fold small, or quickly, or easily, and require the
removal of the front wheel. I have a Montague Urban
http://tinyurl.com/1997urban (discontinued) and it would be a decent
touring bike, but it's not something that's convenient to take on a
train (though I've done it on occasion).

For something that folds quickly, and rather small, and is suitable for
touring, you're basically looking at a Dahon Speed TR
http://www.dahon.com/bikes/2011/speed-tr, Tern Link P24h
http://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/link-p24h, or a Bike Friday New
World Tourist http://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/touring/1248.

For something that doesn't fold small or fold fast, the ideal touring
folder would be the Dahon Tournado,
http://www.dahon.com/bikes/2011/tournado.

None of the small-wheel touring bicycles are going to be as comfortable
as a classic steel touring bicycle. You definitely sacrifice something
for the smaller size.

Old October 9th 11, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 8, 11:44*pm, bobdobbs wrote:
I am a lifelong bike tourer contemplating buying a folding bike for
touring. Has anyone who has made the switch to a folding bike for long-
distance, self-contained touring had a positive experience? *My
criteria a (a) folds quickly and easily (b) low and variable
gearing (c) supports panniers - I carry all of my stuff, including
camping gear (d) riding experience (as close as possible to a regular,
non-folding bike, re touring.

Looking for recommendations. I've looked at Brompton, but it doesn;t
seem to be able to carry much and the gearing isn't really appropriate
for touring. I have a triple chain ring and probably would want to get
down to the low 20's for low gears.

My friends Russ and Laura are doing fine on Bromptons. Have a read:

http://pathlesspedaled.com/
Old October 9th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 9-10-2011 17:43, landotter schreef:
On Oct 8, 11:44 pm, wrote:
I am a lifelong bike tourer contemplating buying a folding bike for
touring. Has anyone who has made the switch to a folding bike for long-
distance, self-contained touring had a positive experience? My
criteria a (a) folds quickly and easily (b) low and variable
gearing (c) supports panniers - I carry all of my stuff, including
camping gear (d) riding experience (as close as possible to a regular,
non-folding bike, re touring.

Looking for recommendations. I've looked at Brompton, but it doesn;t
seem to be able to carry much and the gearing isn't really appropriate
for touring. I have a triple chain ring and probably would want to get
down to the low 20's for low gears.

My friends Russ and Laura are doing fine on Bromptons. Have a read:

http://pathlesspedaled.com/

I don't see them fold the bike, so why ride a folder????

Lou
Old October 9th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 8, 11:44 pm, *wrote:
I am a lifelong bike tourer contemplating buying a folding bike for
touring. Has anyone who has made the switch to a folding bike for long-
distance, self-contained touring had a positive experience? *My
criteria a (a) folds quickly and easily (b) low and variable
gearing (c) supports panniers - I carry all of my stuff, including
camping gear (d) riding experience (as close as possible to a regular,
non-folding bike, re touring.

Looking for recommendations. I've looked at Brompton, but it doesn;t
seem to be able to carry much and the gearing isn't really appropriate
for touring. I have a triple chain ring and probably would want to get
down to the low 20's for low gears.

My friends Russ and Laura are doing fine on Bromptons. Have a read:

http://pathlesspedaled.com/

I don't see them fold the bike, so why ride a folder????

At the link there are many photographs of the bikes folded for luggage
compartment storage. Most light rail doesn't require this, though.
Old October 9th 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On Oct 8, 11:44 pm, wrote:
[...]

I have a Brompton (three in fact) and I can't imagine doing touring of
any distance on one. It folds small, and would be convenient if you
needed a bicycle once you reach a city by train or bus, but you would
not want to ride 50 miles a day on one.

One of the older Birdy bicycles might be good for touring as well, but
they have several drawbacks including the difficulty of sourcing 18"
tires and tubes.
Old October 10th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

bobdobbs wrote:
I am a lifelong bike tourer contemplating buying a folding bike for
touring. Has anyone who has made the switch to a folding bike for long-
distance, self-contained touring had a positive experience? My
criteria a (a) folds quickly and easily (b) low and variable
gearing (c) supports panniers - I carry all of my stuff, including
camping gear (d) riding experience (as close as possible to a regular,
non-folding bike, re touring.

Looking for recommendations. I've looked at Brompton, but it doesn;t
seem to be able to carry much and the gearing isn't really appropriate
for touring. I have a triple chain ring and probably would want to get
down to the low 20's for low gears.

As others have mentioned, you're giving a tough list of requirements.
Folding bikes necessarily have more design compromises than ordinary
bikes. Doing better on one requirement (like quick folding) often
compromises other requirements (like providing a good ride.)

You should at least investigate the Bike Friday line. Their New World
Tourist is designed to fit most of your requirements. Unlike some
makes, they have made strong attempts at providing a good ride, plus
producing appropriate racks and other hardware. There's also a large
community of owners who are quick to give detailed advice. You can
start at
http://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/touring
and search on "YAK" if you want to sign up for the mailing list.

FWIW, Bikes Friday are used by Phil Liggett, Lon Haldeman, and lots of
other noteworthy cyclists. Many people use them for long tours.
They're a far cry from "ride home from the train station" folding bikes.

OTOH, they don't fold as quickly and easily as some others. Green Gear
calls them "travel bikes," noting that they are designed to mimic the
ride of a bike with normal wheels, plus pack into a suitcase with some
disassembly, rather than fold in seconds. The "quick fold" takes me
about 90 seconds to two minutes, but that leaves the handlebars just
hooked over a frame tube and held loosely by velcro. It's a somewhat
rattly package, and not as compact as (say) a Dahon. But in my
experience, the ride is far better than any Dahon (or other folding
bike) I've tried. Also, each Friday is built to order. You get to
specify every detail, including getting the bike to fit just like your
road bike, and (of course) getting the gearing you want, with the help
of a technical salesman. Our salesman (Walter) was extremely
knowledgeable and helpful.

About 20 minutes of work disassembles the bike and packs it into a
suitcase. That way it flies without the airlines' extra high prices for
carrying a bicycle. So what do you do with the suitcase when you
arrive? If you buy the optional kit, you put 12" wheels and a towing
tongue on it and tow it behind the bike.

We've ridden up to 50 miles on our Fridays, towing the cases. We've
also done somewhat shorter rides with large backpacks sitting upright on
a low rear rack - a non-standard trick I came up with. The bikes handle
fine both ways. Many others have crossed continents on Fridays.

Having said that, the ride is not exactly equal to a regular touring
bike. The tall stem gives some fore-aft flex, especially when climbing;
and the rolling resistance is a bit higher than a 700c road bike, no
matter what they claim. At least, that's what my coast-down tests told
me. Because of that, I use my "big wheel" bikes for ordinary use, and I
use the Friday when I travel; but there are many who use their Friday
for everything.

--
- Frank Krygowski