Tires and their price

Old October 15th 20, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Tires and their price

OK, I'm trying to sell off my two pairs of Gran Prix 5000TL's because I am done trying to mount the damn things. I'm sure that they wouldn't be much of a problem if you were using them as tubeless but an innertube simply makes them impossible. If you had a real clincher it might be possible but not with a two way rim.

While you can find innertubes, the price of decent tires seems to have followed the cost of bikes and even Vittoria Rubino Pro which are sort of second level tires are going to cost you $80 a pair. The cost of tires seems to now match that of a good steak
Old October 15th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 3:05:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
OK, I'm trying to sell off my two pairs of Gran Prix 5000TL's because I am done trying to mount the damn things. I'm sure that they wouldn't be much of a problem if you were using them as tubeless but an innertube simply makes them impossible. If you had a real clincher it might be possible but not with a two way rim.

While you can find innertubes, the price of decent tires seems to have followed the cost of bikes and even Vittoria Rubino Pro which are sort of second level tires are going to cost you $80 a pair. The cost of tires seems to now match that of a good steak

I just bought 2 Conti PG 5000 they are not tubeless but were $86 for both. Great deal. You can sell them to me cheap if they are 25mm.

Deacon Mark
Old October 15th 20, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 10/15/20 1:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
OK, I'm trying to sell off my two pairs of Gran Prix 5000TL's because I am done trying to mount the damn things. I'm sure that they wouldn't be much of a problem if you were using them as tubeless but an innertube simply makes them impossible. If you had a real clincher it might be possible but not with a two way rim.

While you can find innertubes, the price of decent tires seems to have followed the cost of bikes and even Vittoria Rubino Pro which are sort of second level tires are going to cost you $80 a pair. The cost of tires seems to now match that of a good steak

Much of the bicycle stuff is IMO grossly overpriced. With tires I
usually wait for a sale, then pounce, buying a bunch for stockpiling.
Vittoria Zaffiro and Vee Rubber are brands I had good experience with.

https://www.amazon.com/Vittoria-Zaff.../dp/B08K3QL86L

Fancy tires might last 50% longer but when they cost 3-4x it just ain't
worth it. I usually get my tires for $15-20 each including shipping.
Right now I don't have to buy tires for another two years 8-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 16th 20, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 2:47:08 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
[...]

I was buying tires from probikekit.com and always got the best price but their selection is getting pretty damn thin.
Old October 16th 20, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Joerg wrote:
On 10/15/20 1:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
OK, I'm trying to sell off my two pairs of Gran Prix 5000TL's because I
am done trying to mount the damn things. I'm sure that they wouldn't be
much of a problem if you were using them as tubeless but an innertube
simply makes them impossible. If you had a real clincher it might be
possible but not with a two way rim.

While you can find innertubes, the price of decent tires seems to have
followed the cost of bikes and even Vittoria Rubino Pro which are sort
of second level tires are going to cost you $80 a pair. The cost of
tires seems to now match that of a good steak

With everybody avoiding public transport and President Trump announcing cold
weather, I expect a shortage of good spike tires in late January when even
the most stubborn Ohio Democrats warmies finally realize ... that Comrade
Winter is real.

Much of the bicycle stuff is IMO grossly overpriced. With tires I usually
wait for a sale, then pounce, buying a bunch for stockpiling. Vittoria
Zaffiro and Vee Rubber are brands I had good experience with.

https://www.amazon.com/Vittoria-Zaff.../dp/B08K3QL86L

Fancy tires might last 50% longer but when they cost 3-4x it just ain't
worth it. I usually get my tires for $15-20 each including shipping.

I'm still shocked: I looked for ¤14,99 bargain tires, free shipping, but
one was 19,94 including shipping!

And wait till California taxes your cheap tires, and brake pads, for
emitting too many particles!

(Don't believe for a moment that fancy tires provide better working
conditions for the farm workers, though. Sorry, no English subtitles.)
https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/video/sendungen/die-story/video-schmutzige-reifen-ein-milliardengeschaeft-102.html
file link:
https://wdrmedien-a.akamaihd.net/medp/podcast/weltweit/fsk0/202/2028298/diestory_2020-08-26_schmutzigereifeneinmilliardengeschaeft_wdr.mp4
Old October 19th 20, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/16/2020 4:09 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

snip

I'm still shocked: I looked for ¤14,99 bargain tires, free shipping, but
one was 19,94 including shipping!

The margins on tires, like most bicycle accessories are "Keystone"
https://www.thebalancesmb.com/keystone-pricing-in-retail-2890192# (or
greater). So when you see a 25% off sale on tires, the retailer is still
making good margins, and I don't begrudge them those margins since the
margins on complete bicycles are not good, yet require a lot of labor
for assembly.

Performance used to sell their own brand of tires at good prices, some
of their tires were okay, some were not so good.
Old October 19th 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 8:58:27 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 10/16/2020 4:09 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

snip
I'm still shocked: I looked for €14,99 bargain tires, free shipping, but
one was 19,94 including shipping!

The margins on tires, like most bicycle accessories are "Keystone"
https://www.thebalancesmb.com/keystone-pricing-in-retail-2890192# (or
greater). So when you see a 25% off sale on tires, the retailer is still
making good margins, and I don't begrudge them those margins since the
margins on complete bicycles are not good, yet require a lot of labor
for assembly.

Performance used to sell their own brand of tires at good prices, some
of their tires were okay, some were not so good.

Somewhere I heard that Michelin was sold off to the Chinese. I finally managed to get another set of Pro4's which will go on the bike I wear the next set of tires out on.
Old October 19th 20, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/19/2020 11:16 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Michelin is a publicly traded entity registered in France.
For about 94 Euros you could own a share yourself!

If you don't have 94 Euros to spare, you could, like my
savvy 16 year old grandson, trade in fractional shares on
your telephone without leaving the house.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 19th 20, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 9:56:00 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I guess my memory was incorrect.
Old October 19th 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

Crap. On whose account? He's not old enough to contract.

-- Jay Beattie.