Water Bottle Cage Mount Screws: M4 or M5?

Old February 27th 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Water Bottle Cage Mount Screws: M4 or M5?

On 02/26/2010 06:22 PM, SMS wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to order some, but can't figure out the nomenclature.

They measure just a hair under 5 mm, but take a 4mm Allen key.

So I guess they're either "m4" or "m5"... but which?

M5.

You need to order screws like that where you are? There's 5 stores near
me that sell those screws, for as little as 3 cents each.

In stainless, I don't have a single source now that the good marine
fastener place closed. I order from McMaster-Carr and cut to length.
Wish that I had a screw cutter for metric stuff like the one built into
my crimping tool (nicely cuts 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 screws for electrical
work) I end up using a hacksaw and bench grinder

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 27th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 02/26/2010 07:51 PM, z wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per SMS:
You need to order screws like that where you are? There's 5 stores
near me that sell those screws, for as little as 3 cents each.

I want stainless - and the hardware stores around don't do metric
stainless.

Are you close to any kind of boating or marine hardware store?

West Marine doesn't really have a good selection, I've found. Used to
be a good store in Annapolis that had everything, but they closed. Too
bad, because I bought stuff there (small stuff, but still) about 2x a
month generally.

nate

Old February 27th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to order some, but can't figure out the nomenclature.

They measure just a hair under 5 mm, but take a 4mm Allen key.

So I guess they're either "m4" or "m5"... but which?

M5.

You need to order screws like that where you are? There's 5 stores near
me that sell those screws, for as little as 3 cents each.

In stainless, I don't have a single source now that the good marine
fastener place closed. I order from McMaster-Carr and cut to length.
Wish that I had a screw cutter for metric stuff like the one built into
my crimping tool (nicely cuts 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 screws for electrical
work) I end up using a hacksaw and bench grinder

We more commonly add a spacer under the head than cut the
screw (chain clearance at rear carrier, etc).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 27th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

* Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

why add a space not cut the screw ?
Cresswell doesn't have an Ace or Truevalue next door ? Where do you
live ? Wyoming ?
tap it out and use SAE
Old February 27th 10, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

In article ,
says...

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to order some, but can't figure out the nomenclature.
They measure just a hair under 5 mm, but take a 4mm Allen key.
So I guess they're either "m4" or "m5"... but which?

Machine threads measure at the OD of the thread. Less
clearance (although nominally 5mm), actual is probably 0.485mm.

DIN 985 spec for an m5x0.8 bolt is a 4mm allen drive. Most
screws will be at that standard.

Specific parts, such as the classic Shimano DOXT of the
early 1980s, may have 6mm (or 5mm) allen drive. DIN 7991 for
5mm is a 3mm allen key but Shimano SPD cleat screws use a
4mm key. These are specials, not DIN standard fasteners.

At any rate, although parts makers may choose a different
size allen drive, a special thread is virtually unknown for
fasteners today.

p.s. If you're a 'regular' at your LBS, 5mm screws are often
free for the asking.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Right. If you're a regular at some of the high-end shops around here,
meaning you've paid full retail for one or two bikes, they may
inclinded to give you a bolt. Otherwise .50 - $1 a piece. Going to the
local hardware store nets you the same thing at 5 cents each.

Old February 27th 10, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to order some, but can't figure out the nomenclature.

They measure just a hair under 5 mm, but take a 4mm Allen key.

So I guess they're either "m4" or "m5"... but which?

M5.

You need to order screws like that where you are? There's 5 stores near
me that sell those screws, for as little as 3 cents each.

In stainless, I don't have a single source now that the good marine
fastener place closed. *I order from McMaster-Carr and cut to length.
Wish that I had a screw cutter for metric stuff like the one built into
my crimping tool (nicely cuts 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 screws for electrical
work) I end up using a hacksaw and bench grinder

A nut that screws onto a 10-32 screw or a tool that cuts a 10-32
will fit onto or cut an M5x0.8 metric screw, unless you are building
space shuttles with it, and if you are, just buy the right length.

Ben
Old February 27th 10, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tad McClellan

Ronko wrote:
In article ,
says...

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

I'll tire-kick at a half-dozen LBSes multiple time each before
I buy a bike (from only one of them, of course), they need to
amortize all of that time.

LBSers have to eat too.

Going to the
local hardware store nets you the same thing at 5 cents each.

Hardware store guys get their calories from the beer, so they don't
have to eat. :-)

(errr, so do many cyclists, I gather)

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
Old February 27th 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per * Still Just Me *:
If you have to go on-line, mcmastercarr.com is a great place to do
business with.

That's the one that prompted my "mind-boggling array" comment.

Also, IMHO, a really slick UI.
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 27th 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per AMuzi:
We more commonly add a spacer under the head than cut the
screw (chain clearance at rear carrier, etc).

Do you have a preference for head type?

Until I looked at McMaster-Carr, I thought "standard" was the
only game in town. Now I see there are two others that look
like they might be more functional bc they present less to catch
on something: "Button" and "Flange Button".
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 27th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel[_2_]

On 2/26/2010 10:51 PM Tad McClellan wrote:

Hardware store guys get their calories from the beer, so they don't
have to eat. :-)

(errr, so do many cyclists, I gather)

You've seen me about town, then.

--