Fenders/Mud Guards

Old December 27th 12, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Fenders/Mud Guards

Per Sir Ridesalot:
One thing about fenders ... is that it makes it much hardr to fit a bicycle in the trunck
or rear passenger compartment of many of todays cars.

Dunno if it would help with the fit issue, but I attach my rear
fenders to the luggage rack and then cut off anything to the rear
of the attachment point.

Some people don't mind road spray at all. Others want to try and stay dry and spotless.

Rain pants can take care of "dry"...

My preoccupation is with not inhaling that fine mist that comes
off the front wheel - having almost died from the bronchial/lung
infection I got once after kayaking in 40+ mph gusts and inhaling
the spindrift off of a bay down on North Carolina.

Think about what you see on the riding surface when it's dry and
then decide if you would be comfortable inhaling it - deeply.

Around here, it's not so much dog poop - but there is a *lot* of
goose poop and heaven-knows-what-else at the microscopic level.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 27th 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 27, 5:01*am, Stephen Bauman wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 12:34:52 +0000, Ningi wrote:

snip

Fenders (mudguards) also keep the crud off the people riding behind you
in a group which is why they used to often be mandatory on British club
rides. *I wouldn't mind a return to this for winter riding.

Pete

That's not the case. Road splash follows along the tangent of the rear
wheel. Full rear fenders cover only half the circumference of the rear
wheel - the top half. That leaves 1/4 of the wheel circumference
uncovered and in line to splash the rear rider (the bottom and rear
quadrant).

There is a definite plus for the rear rider being splashed while riding
in a peleton. The placement of the splash on one's leg, is the quickest
way to determine whether one is keeping a constant distance from the
rider in front. If that splash moves up your leg then you are getting
closer to your leader. Likewise, if the splash moves downward, then you
are in danger of losing contact.

Steve

If you race in substantial standing water, the wheel spray is like
getting hit in the face with a fire hose -- no subtle up and down the
leg. I did a districts race one year where it was raining buckets,
and at the end of the race, I couldn't see the finish -- in fact, I
couldn't see anything with the spray on my glasses except the outline
of the bike ahead of me, which was being ridden by a guy who had been
placing a lot that season. I just stayed attached, hoped the finish
was soon -- and ended up placing.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 27th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 27, 4:46*am, Lou Holtman wrote:

Exactly. The problem with Frank is that he does only know one kind of riding and has only one mindset.

Hmm. I think the problem is that people continue to misunderstand my
mindset, despite my repeated attempts to explain.

Again (and again!) ride whatever you like. My primary complaint is
against frame designers who deliberately preclude the use of fenders.
There's simply no reason for that on a bike that's not to be ridden in
a race.

Yes, I do think it's regrettable that most Americans never consider
fenders. That's because I think it's one of the factors that
contribute to the almost exclusive use of cars for transportation in
the U.S.

I'm not denying the virtues fenders can have, heck I have 2 full fendered bikes myself but judging someone who chooses a bike with no fenders as a victim of fashion or a incompetent bikeshop is narrow minded.

Lou, to understand this, please realize that probably fewer than 3% of
American bikes have fenders. Consequently almost nobody (outside
Portland) will ride in rain, or even on wet roads after a rain. From
what I can see, that's far different than Europe. (I just reviewed
some of the photos of bikes I shot in Paris this year. Over 75% had
fenders.)

Do you think the difference is due to smart decision making by
American cyclists? Or is it more likely due to fashion? - as in "Well,
nobody else uses fenders so I won't."

Many of my collegues have bikes with a full chaincase. I hate full chaincases even on my fendered bikes. Why? Because they limit the access to my chain to clean and lube (even with a full chaincase you have to do that once in a while) and makes removing the rear wheel a PIA in case of a flat. Am a a fashion victim?

I'd say that's a separate topic, with a different set of pluses and
minuses. We can certainly discuss chaincase advantages,
disadvantages, designs, etc. But chaincases are not fenders. (BTW,
my Paris photos show only one chaincase.)

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 27th 12, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 27, 8:58*am, datakoll wrote:

a front fender protects from the ineveitable 360 degree spraying of mist: water, cow and sheep dung, dog excrement...

Years ago, my wife & daughter and I did a tour of Ireland by bike.
(One of the wettest experiences I've ever had, BTW.) In Killarney, we
were riding on lanes where tourists get rides in horse-drawn carriages
or "jaunting cars." The asphalt was covered by horse-dung soup. The
ladies said they were _really_ glad to have the fenders!

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 27th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 12/27/2012 5:01 AM, Stephen Bauman wrote:
[...]

So you have never heard of mudflaps?

e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Refle.../dp/B0047QLQNI

or http://www.bicycletouring101.com/BikeDIYMudFlaps.htm

All the polite randonneurs around here have them (at least on wet rides).

Mark J.

Old December 27th 12, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 27, 4:54*am, datakoll wrote:
Lotta fender activity for notseein any.
What’s he count in Portland ?https://www.google.com/search?num=10...bm=isch&source...

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...bm=isch&source...

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...bm=isch&source...

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...bm=isch&source...

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&t...10&tbm=isch&tb...

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...bm=isch&source...

The rack at work was not very full this morning, less than a couple
dozen bikes -- all but two had fenders. Those two were a beater 10
speed sport bike (like an old Univega) and a beater mountain bike.
The nicest bike was a Synapse, which did have fenders. A lot of the
riders in my building put their bikes in a storage cages down in the
bowels of the building, so I'm not looking at all the bikes being
ridden. Still, most have fenders -- typically plastic with stays, but
some were using clip-ons.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 28th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Frank wrote:
On Dec 27, 8:58Â*am, datakoll wrote:

a front fender protects from the ineveitable 360 degree spraying of mist: water, cow and sheep dung, dog excrement...

Years ago, my wife & daughter and I did a tour of Ireland by bike.
(One of the wettest experiences I've ever had, BTW.) In Killarney, we
were riding on lanes where tourists get rides in horse-drawn carriages
or "jaunting cars." The asphalt was covered by horse-dung soup. The
ladies said they were _really_ glad to have the fenders!
- Frank Krygowski

I think that when the term "mud guard" was coined, "mud" was a euphemism.

--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
Old December 28th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

This is a concern of mine when passing by ripe road kill on wet roads. Also, on some back roads we ride, I can smell septic systems during heavy rains.

Old December 28th 12, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the rear deray ? fender wash runoff over the deray ? depends on sipe sand grooves ncarrying water and mud around onto the front deray.

OK LISTEN UP ALL ABRASIVE PARTICLES GET OFF HERE FOR THE FRONT DERAY.

apply a shingling of electrical tape - 3M extra adhesion ( good for fastening everthing down ) over a cleaned deray body, final wiping with CHOH.

start at bottom one end to another with tape over hinges left extra floppy long then shingle upwards.

I usually shingle after a complete deray cleanup. ZDeray stays clean for a good month.

yawl cold weather riders get over top Graingers look for 3M 8271. Buy a box and some small files. Place masks in sandwich bags and box.

for really cold weather the masks temper cold air enetring lungs, jkeep nosethroat moist and warm without bacteria intake. Baaaad running IC, salt/grit spread surface.....ng

worst is snow melt. Having caught all the debris over weeks/months, snow melt layers a thick layer of residuals for blowoff into your lungs.

These mask have a flap allowing matural beathing.
Old December 28th 12, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

spats. JP Morgan wore spats. SPAT SPAT SPAT

mindblowind debris. Lower LA ahhh south of the Interstate above San Juan Capistranoi has burbs with corrals.....eyyyach.

thanks for pennicillin ect. back when people lived to 40. Now with anti bio we can shelter horses on our back yard of 1/4 acre.

great fun.

yeah, as I have remindead, the Jesse Owens Olympics cyclists of Tampa fame died of lung cancer.

Its out there.

having evole d as animal with animal there is toilerance but exceed.

masks are not uh normative in our society but veru rational.

BTW, E Coli ARE TOO LARGE for the masks fabrics holes. take one to the drive in.

Schwinn City Bikes with Fenders, Chain Guards, Racks $159. SMS General 7 March 26th 10 10:53 PM
Shin Guards? One on one Unicycling 1 November 20th 08 02:35 AM
Folding bicycles with fenders/mud guards ? Don Wiss General 33 April 11th 07 08:54 PM
Folding bicycles with fenders/mud guards ? Don Wiss UK 43 April 11th 07 08:54 PM
Shin guards brownboy13 Unicycling 5 April 4th 06 07:28 AM