Grease monkeys? (1)

Old October 2nd 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Grease monkeys? (1)

What sort of grease would you use to pack a headset or a bottom
bracket?

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

(1) Juvies with time on their hands may want to play around with the
possible punctuation schemes for this headline phrase.
Old October 2nd 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

http://www.etrailer.com/p-l11404.htm
Old October 2nd 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
What sort of grease would you use to pack a headset or a bottom
bracket?

Any cheap automotive grease. I happen to have some MS2 stuff lying around
(CV grease) - I tend to use that. Otherwise a boring lithium grease.

Not vaseline.

Old October 2nd 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Andre Jute wrote:

What sort of grease would you use to pack a headset or a bottom
bracket?

Whatever. Those are both low speed, low temperature applications with
rolling, rather than sliding, bearing elements. They are easy on
grease as such things go.

I generally avoid white lithium grease because it gradually turns into
some sort of cheese. I generally favor greases that claim to be
waterproof. I have had happy results with Mobil 1 synthetic grease
and various molybdenum disulfide enhanced automotive greases.

Here's the one I've been using lately, which I am satisfied with:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ....asp?product=3

Chalo
Old October 2nd 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 3, 2:17 am, Chalo wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

What sort of grease would you use to pack a headset or a bottom
bracket?

Whatever. Those are both low speed, low temperature applications with
rolling, rather than sliding, bearing elements. They are easy on
grease as such things go.

I generally avoid white lithium grease because it gradually turns into
some sort of cheese. I generally favor greases that claim to be
waterproof. I have had happy results with Mobil 1 synthetic grease
and various molybdenum disulfide enhanced automotive greases.

Here's the one I've been using lately, which I am satisfied with:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ....asp?product=3

It can't beat my $3 tub of Coastal wheel bearing grease that I use on
hubs--it smells like the manliest of brake shops! Put some behind your
ears before you head down the the Wild Horse and surely you can pick
up a chick with a Camaro.

Old October 3rd 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Andre Jute wrote:
What sort of grease would you use to pack a headset or a bottom
bracket?

I would use Lubriplate 130AA white lithium grease. There are a multitude
of excellent products which would be equally suitable but that is my
preference.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 3rd 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 2, 12:17 pm, Chalo wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

What sort of grease would you use to pack a headset or a bottom
bracket?

Whatever. Those are both low speed, low temperature applications with
rolling, rather than sliding, bearing elements. They are easy on
grease as such things go.

I generally avoid white lithium grease because it gradually turns into
some sort of cheese. I generally favor greases that claim to be
waterproof. I have had happy results with Mobil 1 synthetic grease
and various molybdenum disulfide enhanced automotive greases.

Here's the one I've been using lately, which I am satisfied with:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ....asp?product=3

Chalo

Did you submit your testimonial?

tf