For edlin users

Old February 26th 10, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default For edlin users

"The Edlin Tyre Co., Conduit Yard, Coventry. The 'Edlin' attachment or
flap for getting at the inside of a '92 Dunlop pattern tyre has been
lightened, and now makes an excellent job."

--CTC Gazette, Jan. 1894, one of several hundred booths and items at
the UK National Show
http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA2...AJ&output=text

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 26th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

reminiscent of the Civil War saw collections !

"here's a nice little saw we developed last month. Clearly
technologically advacned tooth shape over the prior model. A new tooth
shape and attack angle chews thru bone with 20% greater speed. "
Old February 26th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Feb 25, 10:14*pm, wrote:
"The Edlin Tyre Co., Conduit Yard, Coventry. The 'Edlin' attachment or
flap for getting at the inside of a '92 Dunlop pattern tyre has been
lightened, and now makes an excellent job."

--CTC Gazette, Jan. 1894, one of several hundred booths and items at
the UK National Show
*http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA2...AJ&output=text

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I just had a DOS flashback. thanks for that (I think)

nate
Old February 26th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

YES ! I see the Zeno video extrapolating his steam engine !

pass the Roget's...

and a case of Fogjell OD
Old February 26th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

N8N wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:14 pm, wrote:
"The Edlin Tyre Co., Conduit Yard, Coventry. The 'Edlin' attachment or
flap for getting at the inside of a '92 Dunlop pattern tyre has been
lightened, and now makes an excellent job."

--CTC Gazette, Jan. 1894, one of several hundred booths and items at
the UK National Show
http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA2...AJ&output=text

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I just had a DOS flashback. thanks for that (I think)

Hey, I still use those DOS commands on occasion. Well not edlin, but
I've had to create some complex batch files recently to do mass renaming
and copying of files and directories for music and audio books that I
was putting on a USB stick for the car. The receiver reads the USB stick
in the order of which files were put on there. Copying directories in
Windows was screwing up the order of audio books.
Old February 26th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:48:35 -0500, * Still Just Me *
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:15:38 -0800, SMS
wrote:

Hey, I still use those DOS commands on occasion. Well not edlin, but
I've had to create some complex batch files recently to do mass renaming
and copying of files and directories for music and audio books that I
was putting on a USB stick for the car. The receiver reads the USB stick
in the order of which files were put on there. Copying directories in
Windows was screwing up the order of audio books.

I believe technically you are doing "windows scripting", not "DOS
commands". (Not to be too anal... but that's what this group is all
about :-).

That said, scripting is still the best way to do large scale batch
operations. A windowing interface doesn't always meet the task.

Dear SJM,

You can do it either way.

I never bothered to use the Windows scripting feature.

Plenty of MS-DOS batch files running out there.

For example, when various combinations of network cards and Microsoft
Windows versions make reconnecting to network drives at startup an
entertaining gamble, a batch file run at startup with net use commands
often provides a reliable connection, allowing other batch files to
run after midnight and perform backups to other machines.

Probably a scripting approach would work, too.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 27th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

Hey, I still use those DOS commands on occasion. Well not edlin, but
I've had to create some complex batch files recently to do mass renaming
and copying of files and directories for music and audio books that I
was putting on a USB stick for the car. The receiver reads the USB stick
in the order of which files were put on there. Copying directories in
Windows was screwing up the order of audio books.

I believe technically you are doing "windows scripting", not "DOS
commands". (Not to be too anal... but that's what this group is all
about :-).

Well I'm running them from a DOS window, though I'm creating them in a
combination of Excel, Word, and Notepad.

I guess I'm showing my age, but one really nice feature of Wordstar for
DOS was the capability to cut and paste columns of text. Now to do it I
have to import everything into Excel as a .csv file, move the columns
around, then export it back out, then finish editing it in Word or notepad.

That said, scripting is still the best way to do large scale batch
operations. A windowing interface doesn't always meet the task.

When copying folders to a USB stick I found that Windows did not copy in
alphabetical order, even when I was careful to not have leading 0's or
blanks. I.e. D01T02.mp3 would not necessarily be copied over before
D01T10.mp3.
Old February 27th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

http://ss64.com/nt/cmd.html

Old February 27th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:14:21 -0800, SMS
wrote:

I guess I'm showing my age, but one really nice feature of Wordstar for
DOS was the capability to cut and paste columns of text. Now to do it I
have to import everything into Excel as a .csv file, move the columns
around, then export it back out, then finish editing it in Word or notepad.

Dear Steve,

WordStar 4.0 works fine in the Dos box for XP.

Apart from the column editing, the keyboard commands are much faster
than mousing, and the sum-the-figures-in-a-block feature is nice.

If you haven't got WS4 (or 3.31), you can use VDE by Eric Meyers,
which is WS command compatible and does columns:
https://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 27th 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:

Hey, I still use those DOS commands on occasion. Well not edlin, but
I've had to create some complex batch files recently to do mass renaming
and copying of files and directories for music and audio books that I
was putting on a USB stick for the car. The receiver reads the USB stick
in the order of which files were put on there. Copying directories in
Windows was screwing up the order of audio books.

I believe technically you are doing "windows scripting", not "DOS
commands". (Not to be too anal... but that's what this group is all
about :-).

That said, scripting is still the best way to do large scale batch
operations. A windowing interface doesn't always meet the task.

*nix, baby. only way to fly.

nate

(unless you need to run AutoCAD, that is.)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

For Macintosh users [email protected] Techniques 0 February 18th 10 07:15 PM
For I-Pod users Bill Baka General 75 April 19th 06 02:58 AM
For I-Pod users Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 8 April 19th 06 02:58 AM
For I-Pod users Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 0 April 9th 06 08:19 PM
For Trainer Users Only Colorado Bicycler General 32 November 9th 05 01:23 AM