1/4 drive hex bits

Old April 12th 12, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default 1/4 drive hex bits

I received the small Park tool beam torque wrench as a gift.
Now I need allen head "sockets" for it. The wrench has a 1/4
drive, and a 3/8 adapter. Locating the bits with 3/8 drive
is easy enough, but I'd prefer a 1/4 drive so the offset is
shorter. Haven't seen them anywhere. Suggestions?

--
Joe Riel

Old April 12th 12, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Apr 11, 9:47*pm, Joe Riel wrote:
I received the small Park tool beam torque wrench as a gift.
Now I need allen head "sockets" for it. *The wrench has a 1/4
drive, and a 3/8 adapter. *Locating the bits with 3/8 drive
is easy enough, but I'd prefer a 1/4 drive so the offset is
shorter. *Haven't seen them anywhere. *Suggestions?

--
Joe Riel

go find a local machinists supply shop- they should have exactly what
you want and a few variations beside
Old April 12th 12, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Joe Riel wrote:
I received the small Park tool beam torque wrench as a gift.
Now I need allen head "sockets" for it. The wrench has a 1/4
drive, and a 3/8 adapter. Locating the bits with 3/8 drive
is easy enough, but I'd prefer a 1/4 drive so the offset is
shorter. Haven't seen them anywhere. Suggestions?

Snap On.
http://www.snapon.com/

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 12th 12, 09:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 12/04/12 07:14, AMuzi wrote:
Joe Riel wrote:
I received the small Park tool beam torque wrench as a gift.
Now I need allen head "sockets" for it. The wrench has a 1/4
drive, and a 3/8 adapter. Locating the bits with 3/8 drive
is easy enough, but I'd prefer a 1/4 drive so the offset is
shorter. Haven't seen them anywhere. Suggestions?

Snap On.
http://www.snapon.com/

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Yes, but Snap-Ons are made of Cantaffordium.

Old April 12th 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Apr 12, 4:57*am, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/04/12 07:14, AMuzi wrote:

Joe Riel wrote:
I received the small Park tool beam torque wrench as a gift.
Now I need allen head "sockets" for it. *The wrench has a 1/4
drive, and a 3/8 adapter. *Locating the bits with 3/8 drive
is easy enough, but I'd prefer a 1/4 drive so the offset is
shorter. *Haven't seen them anywhere. *Suggestions?

Snap On.
http://www.snapon.com/

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....item_ID=630760...

Yes, but Snap-Ons are made of Cantaffordium.

****ing ridiculous, insane

13 pc metric set $27 cdn; 6 pc $16+ cdn at KBC

Old April 12th 12, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On 12/04/12 07:14, AMuzi wrote:

Joe Riel wrote:
I received the small Park tool beam torque wrench as a gift.
Now I need allen head "sockets" for it. *The wrench has a 1/4
drive, and a 3/8 adapter. *Locating the bits with 3/8 drive
is easy enough, but I'd prefer a 1/4 drive so the offset is
shorter. *Haven't seen them anywhere. *Suggestions?

Snap On.
http://www.snapon.com/

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....item_ID=630760...

Yes, but Snap-Ons are made of Cantaffordium.

****ing ridiculous, insane

13 pc metric set $27 cdn; 6 pc $16+ cdn at KBC

Good deal, or you could go to Sears and buy only the ones you need,
albeit at a higher per-piece price..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...0hex%20sockets

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 12th 12, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Snap on is prob a choice. Many small bits carry more force than the foundry supplied. Snap on offers a field tested product.
Old April 12th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

GNAW

real time small bit news is 2-3 bits from ACE TV et al gonna run half the Snap On set with unknown reliability.

and when the set is on hand, the (eyeyeyhahahha good luck right ?) is prob on hand when you need it.

take a look around for the hex bolt sizes in your immediate environment...do you own a vehicle ? check the door mechanisms.

My world moved past hex into 'safety' heads expletive deleted: safe from being retightened. Talk abt crappy metal tools at hi prices.

the duh smart duh shopper, duh, walked past mega sets of these bits at Xmas.

maybe again ? not likley.

Old April 12th 12, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 12/04/12 07:14, AMuzi wrote:

Joe Riel wrote:
I received the small Park tool beam torque wrench as a gift.
Now I need allen head "sockets" for it. *The wrench has a 1/4
drive, and a 3/8 adapter. *Locating the bits with 3/8 drive
is easy enough, but I'd prefer a 1/4 drive so the offset is
shorter. *Haven't seen them anywhere. *Suggestions?

Snap On.
http://www.snapon.com/

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....item_ID=630760...

Yes, but Snap-Ons are made of Cantaffordium.

****ing ridiculous, insane

13 pc metric set $27 cdn; 6 pc $16+ cdn at KBC

Good deal, or you could go to Sears and buy only the ones you need,
albeit at a higher per-piece price..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...%2C+Ratchets+%...

-- Jay Beattie.

Sears stuff works well enough for me.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 12th 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On 12/04/12 07:14, AMuzi wrote:

Joe Riel wrote:
I received the small Park tool beam torque wrench as a gift.
Now I need allen head "sockets" for it. *The wrench has a 1/4
drive, and a 3/8 adapter. *Locating the bits with 3/8 drive
is easy enough, but I'd prefer a 1/4 drive so the offset is
shorter. *Haven't seen them anywhere. *Suggestions?

Snap On.
http://www.snapon.com/

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....item_ID=630760...

Yes, but Snap-Ons are made of Cantaffordium.

****ing ridiculous, insane

13 pc metric set $27 cdn; 6 pc $16+ cdn at KBC

Good deal, or you could go to Sears and buy only the ones you need,
albeit at a higher per-piece price..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...%2C+Ratchets+%...

-- Jay Beattie.

Sears stuff works well enough for me.

Me too. I have their low and high range torque wrenches. The low
range wrench is kind of large for bicycles, but it works well. I just
used it to reinstall the pinch bolts on my two-piece crank after
draining the river water out of the BB.

BTW, outboard bearing BB and two piece cranks are pretty water tight.
There was very little water in a BB that had been fully submerged, and
there are no drain holes. Next I have to do the hubs.

-- Jay Beattie.