SNOW COMMUTE

Old December 24th 12, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default SNOW COMMUTE

commuters using studs ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bicy...L5D29gTF34C4Cg
Old December 24th 12, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Probably no studs on these tires. That looks like a Surly Moonlander bike from the extremely wide rear tire. I think 4.8 inches wide. There are no studded tires made in that size. Studs are only for 700x35 or so and 26x2" and 29x2" or so. Not for the Surly Moonlander 4.8 inch wide tires. And with 4.8 wide tires on soft snow, you don't need studs for traction. Studs are for ice and slick roads. They don't help in soft snow. The studs don't grip soft snow. Studs need something hard like ice/asphalt to grip.

Schwalbe sells studded bike tires. Look there for available sizes.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/studded

Old December 24th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

extreme. nice photo. photos of ski bicycles make my crotch tingle.

I wuz wondering via Andrew Muzi's winter cruiser commute thru beatiful downtown Madison if studs developed for special uses as snow studs ice studs and commuting studs thatn is studs asked to run over snow/ice/crust then some pave.

commuting studs would be short and sweet but mounted where...like I do look thru the patterns. and will go now to a snow/ice pattern.

I wuid imagine Universal Bicycles tire wall has it in stock for the elevated types.

I had studded snows on muh Volvo for a summer and studs on dry pave are whoa deadly ad the dang things fall over n worse than ice. zzzzzziiiiinnnnnnngggggg....

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...iw=720&bih=381

Old December 25th 12, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 24, 3:49 pm, datakoll wrote:
extreme. nice photo. photos of ski bicycles make my crotch tingle.

I wuz wondering via Andrew Muzi's winter cruiser commute thru beatiful downtown Madison if studs developed for special uses as snow studs ice studs and commuting studs thatn is studs asked to run over snow/ice/crust then some pave.

commuting studs would be short and sweet but mounted where...like I do look thru the patterns. and will go now to a snow/ice pattern.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

I want Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240's on my Stumpjumper for the ultimate
unstoppaple commuter.

I wuid imagine Universal Bicycles tire wall has it in stock for the elevated types.

They got studs - Biketiresdirect, too - but neither have the
Hakkapeliitta W240's.

snip
Old December 25th 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Monday, December 24, 2012 7:14:37 PM UTC-5, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 24, 3:49 pm, datakoll wrote:

extreme. nice photo. photos of ski bicycles make my crotch tingle.

I wuz wondering via Andrew Muzi's winter cruiser commute thru beatiful downtown Madison if studs developed for special uses as snow studs ice studs and commuting studs thatn is studs asked to run over snow/ice/crust then some pave.

commuting studs would be short and sweet but mounted where...like I do look thru the patterns. and will go now to a snow/ice pattern.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

I want Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240's on my Stumpjumper for the ultimate

unstoppaple commuter.

I wuid imagine Universal Bicycles tire wall has it in stock for the elevated types.

They got studs - Biketiresdirect, too - but neither have the

Hakkapeliitta W240's.

snip

00000000

NE NE NE .....eyeyahhahhahah

SO HOW DO WE SHIP ?

next to the cod with wind astern the sloop...

erudite and entertaining...3 remaining fingers up.

We also have the Ice Spiker Pro (foldable) for so called 29er bikes. That's 700c for us old farts. 29x2.25 or 57-622: $ 174.25

aiiiiiiieeeeeee what's the .25 for ? extra rubber ?

tread patterns parallel hehehhe auto patterns 'ceptin Finnish penetration points atop angled blocks...a clear sign of craftsmanship prob tran slating to per formance. The unbeatable-with discretion-Toyo A/T I run are there in a tire claims stops turns an grips...

The Schwalbe parallels a Yokohama. Yoko's are seen rarely from here usually on a jacked up Ford truck whereas the Toyo's are widely used by ranchers and farmers, oil field people. Mrs Rancher usesem.

The Yoko is prob a good urban winter tire for upright types. Or maybe Sch slides well. Can we have a report on this Pete ? If yawl slide then the V side is a traction tire side ? DOAHN STOP PEDALING HARD !

Well done no ? A good sell fersure.

and off course Pete you forgot to sell an ICE AND SNOW HELMET.

get one free with that 174 rubber
Old December 25th 12, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: I wuz wondering via Andrew Muzi's winter cruiser commute thru beatiful downtown Madison if studs developed for special uses as snow studs ice studs and commuting studs thatn is studs asked to run over snow/ice/crust then some pave.
:
: commuting studs would be short and sweet but mounted where...like I do look thru the patterns. and will go now to a snow/ice pattern.
:

:http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

:I want Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240's on my Stumpjumper for the ultimate
:unstoppaple commuter.

: I wuid imagine Universal Bicycles tire wall has it in stock for the elevated types.
:

:They got studs - Biketiresdirect, too - but neither have the
:Hakkapeliitta W240's.

I bought a pair from them this fall....

--
sig 22
Old December 25th 12, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:09:21 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Probably no studs on these tires. That looks like a Surly Moonlander bike from the extremely wide rear tire. I think 4.8 inches wide. There are no studded tires made in that size. Studs are only for 700x35 or so and 26x2" and 29x2" or so. Not for the Surly Moonlander 4.8 inch wide tires. And with 4.8 wide tires on soft snow, you don't need studs for traction. Studs are for ice and slick roads. They don't help in soft snow. The studs don't grip soft snow. Studs need something hard like ice/asphalt to grip.

Schwalbe sells studded bike tires. Look there for available sizes.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/studded

This is winter #4 for a set of Marathon Winter HS 396

Works well, no problems. A lot more rolling resistance, but think of
that as an extra workout.

This is going to be their last season, at least for the rear tire. The
tread and studs are wearing down. I will replace them with the same
model.

Old December 25th 12, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

SCH ON THE 396

For a safer journey. You have full control on icy roads with the Marathon Winter. Even in tight bends and under violent braking everything remains under control. The spikes work best on ice when running at minimum pressure, while at maximum pressure the tires can be ridden on ice-free roads with minimal road noise.

accurate in your experience ? what's the surface where your are in uh ?

do you brake violently ?
Old December 25th 12, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 24, 9:31 pm, David Scheidt wrote:
Dan O wrote:

[...]

700C - I need 26" for Stumpy.

Old December 27th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:11:53 AM UTC-6, datakoll wrote:
SCH ON THE 396

For a safer journey. You have full control on icy roads with the Marathon Winter. Even in tight bends and under violent braking everything remains under control. The spikes work best on ice when running at minimum pressure, while at maximum pressure the tires can be ridden on ice-free roads with minimal road noise.

accurate in your experience ? what's the surface where your are in uh ?

do you brake violently ?

No. You have to be careful on ice with studded tires. They help a lot. But you still need a brain in your head. You start slowing down early for stops. You don't speed down hills with a stop sign at the bottom. You don't make sharp quick turns. You don't lean the bike over. Even with studs the ice will send you down if you get careless. If you think, you will stay up and ride just fine. Lower pressure keeps more tire and studs on the pavement. Better for traction. Higher pressure keeps the side studs off the pavement. But center studs will still wear. And when the center studs are worn away, its time for new tires. So really no reason to run at high pressure. The tires make noise no matter the pressure. Pressure does not affect the rolling resistance. Its high no matter what.

Brake violently? I suppose studs would slide on ice if you braked hard enough to stop the tire. Not wise to do this.

Snow is on its way Pat[_18_] Techniques 3 November 18th 09 02:23 AM
C&O in the Snow Burt Racing 0 February 24th 08 01:24 PM
snow sux Tom Keats General 20 December 6th 07 11:31 AM
snow...... GeeDubb Mountain Biking 19 October 18th 06 10:48 PM
let it snow let it snow let it snow... ntappin Unicycling 7 November 28th 05 01:29 AM