Ultegra v. Dura Ace

Old April 3rd 04, 05:26 AM
Raoul Duke

Default Ultegra v. Dura Ace

I am in the market place for a new bike and I am considering the
differences between Ultegra and Dura Ace. I used to race road bikes (Cat
IV) about12-15 years ago, and my old bike was equipped with Dura Ace
components. I really loved Dura Ace compared to the old Shimano 600 (which
I undertand was replaced by Ultegra).

My question is: what is most peoples' experience with the difference
between the two component groups? Is a bike equipped with Dura Ace worth
the extra $1,000 as compared to a similar bike equipped with Ultegra?

I would like to get back into racing and triathlons, but I am primarily
interested in riding on weekends and one or two times during the week. I
want something that will last for a lot of years. Is Dura Ace much more
durable than Ultegra?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

RD

Old April 3rd 04, 09:23 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

My question is: what is most peoples' experience with the difference
between the two component groups? Is a bike equipped with Dura Ace worth
the extra $1,000 as compared to a similar bike equipped with Ultegra?

If the only difference between the two is Ultegra vs DuraAce, then I'd say
that's quite a steep price to pay for the upgrade. I would put the money
into the frame & wheels first, and then go for the rest of the components.

But I think the answer also depends upon whether you're looking for a double
or triple. In the double crankset arena, I feel the new 10-speed DuraAce
has definitely made great strides over prior equipment. But for a triple, I
actually find the Ultegra triple to be more reliable than the DuraAce
version, and both have the same number of gears. The only thing you give up
with the Ultegra is a 39t middle chainring, which I don't see as that big a
deal.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

m...

Old April 3rd 04, 06:43 PM
Arthur Harris

"Raoul Duke" wrote:
I am in the market place for a new bike and I am considering the
differences between Ultegra and Dura Ace. I used to race road bikes (Cat
IV) about12-15 years ago, and my old bike was equipped with Dura Ace
components. I really loved Dura Ace compared to the old Shimano 600

(which
I undertand was replaced by Ultegra).

My question is: what is most peoples' experience with the difference
between the two component groups? Is a bike equipped with Dura Ace worth
the extra $1,000 as compared to a similar bike equipped with Ultegra?

I would like to get back into racing and triathlons, but I am primarily
interested in riding on weekends and one or two times during the week. I
want something that will last for a lot of years. Is Dura Ace much more
durable than Ultegra?

Go with Ultegra. For one thing, Ultegra shifters can be used with EITHER a
double or triple crankset; Dura-Ace is one or the other (and the DA triple
system is strange).

Secondly, DA has already gone to 10-speed. It may be tough getting
replacement parts for 9-speed. And DA 10-speed stuff is way overpriced.

I've used DA shifters and they work fine, but so do 105 shifters. Some DA
stuff may be a wee bit smoother and more durable than Ultegra, but not
enough to worry about. Neither shifter is repairable. Mostly DA is just a
little bit lighter.

If I had it to do over again I would probably either get Ultegra or Campy
Centaur or Chorus. But I refuse to go to a 10-speed system. Nine is MORE
than enough.

I certainly wouldn't choose one bike over another based on the component
group. Many more important things to consider (wheels, frame, fit, clearance
issues, etc.).

Art Harris

Old April 3rd 04, 11:50 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

If I had it to do over again I would probably either get Ultegra or Campy
Centaur or Chorus. But I refuse to go to a 10-speed system. Nine is MORE
than enough.

If a 10-speed cassette would give me a 12-29, I'd have it on my bike
tomorrow. I'm not doing Sonora Pass with a 39/27 again. The alternative is
an FSA or other compact crank with a 50/34, but I really don't understand
why, with 10 sprockets, they didn't allow a bit wider range.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old April 5th 04, 03:08 PM
Rocketman

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
t...

"Raoul Duke" wrote:
[...]

Agreed. It's breathtakingly expensive. (Ugly too.)

I've used DA shifters and they work fine, but so do 105 shifters. Some DA
stuff may be a wee bit smoother and more durable than Ultegra, but not
enough to worry about. Neither shifter is repairable. Mostly DA is just a
little bit lighter.

How many riders of 10-speed Dura Ace are going to be happy when they're told
they have to replace their stratospherically expensive shifters instead of
repairing them? Dura Ace 10-speed is going to help retailers sell a lot of
Campy Centaur and Record components.

If I had it to do over again I would probably either get Ultegra or Campy
Centaur or Chorus. But I refuse to go to a 10-speed system. Nine is MORE
than enough.

I certainly wouldn't choose one bike over another based on the component
group. Many more important things to consider (wheels, frame, fit,

clearance
issues, etc.).

Hear hear.

Old April 6th 04, 05:01 AM
Chris Neary

The only thing you give up with the Ultegra is a 39t middle chainring,
which I don't see as that big a deal.

For me, the 39T middle ring was the only reason I opted for the
Dura-Ace.

After having ridden for decades using a 53/39 double, I didn't want to
change my normal gearing setup but did desire to add third ring for
the 3 to 4 times a year I wish to use it.

Regards,

Chris Neary