An interesting report for Australian cyclists about cycling on thepavement (specifically in NSW)

Old December 8th 17, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default An interesting report for Australian cyclists about cycling on thepavement (specifically in NSW)

"Why I support the call to allow cyclists to ride on footpaths in NSW"

The constant police crackdowns on cyclists combined with some of the
world’s most expensive fines highlight Sydney’s backwards attitude
towards something that should be encouraged.
In addition to the whopping $319 fine riders face for wearing no helmet
— despite studies showing it doesn’t improve safety — the horrific crime
of riding on a footpath is also the subject of the constant police
operations.
The law stipulates that children under 12 years of age can ride on a
footpath and an adult rider supervising a cyclist under 12 can also do
the same. For everyone else there is a $106 fine for the act.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...fc2eaf25080934
--
Bod
Old December 8th 17, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 08/12/2017 08:48, Bod wrote:

"Why I support the call to allow cyclists to ride on footpaths in NSW"

The constant police crackdowns on cyclists combined with some of the
world’s most expensive fines highlight Sydney’s backwards attitude
towards something that should be encouraged.
In addition to the whopping $319 fine riders face for wearing no helmet
— despite studies showing it doesn’t improve safety — the horrific crime
of riding on a footpath is also the subject of the constant police
operations.
The law stipulates that children under 12 years of age can ride on a
footpath and an adult rider supervising a cyclist under 12 can also do
the same. For everyone else there is a $106 fine for the act.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...fc2eaf25080934

It seems that the UK could learn a lot from New South Wales.

It doesn't sound 100% perfect, but it's a lot better than here.

Paying those fines is completely voluntary, of course. If you can't do
the time...
Old December 8th 17, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 08/12/2017 12:18, JNugent wrote:
On 08/12/2017 08:48, Bod wrote:

[...]

"Currently NSW and Victoria are the only states that do not allow riding
on the footpath."
The rest of Oz doesn't find it a problem.

--
Bod
Old December 8th 17, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 08/12/2017 08:48, Bod wrote:

[...]

"The rest of the country has not yet addressed the problem2 is a better
way to put it.

There is no good reason to tolerate yobbish behaviour.

QUOTE (from the article):
"it’s worth noting that I am going to continue riding on the footpath
regardless of whether the law changes or not.
Sure I might be risking multiple $106 fines, but if you have ever
commuted into the city on bicycle, you will understand why.
ENDQUOTE

[To the writer of the article:]

Yes, we do understand why.

You're a self-centred yob who doesn't care about the rights of others,
especially those of pedestrians.

You're not the first one we've encountered, unfortunately.

QUOTE:
Don’t like me doing it? Build better infrastrucure for cyclists and it
won’t be an issue. Simple.
ENDQUOTE

Stick you hand in your pocket... for that fine. It sounds as though the
authorities there have blood in their veins and determination in their
hearts.
Old December 8th 17, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:48:47 +0000
Bod wrote:

"Why I support the call to allow cyclists to ride on footpaths in NSW"

The constant police crackdowns on cyclists combined with some of the
world’s most expensive fines highlight Sydney’s backwards attitude
towards something that should be encouraged.
In addition to the whopping $319 fine riders face for wearing no
helmet — despite studies showing it doesn’t improve safety — the
horrific crime of riding on a footpath is also the subject of the
constant police operations.
The law stipulates that children under 12 years of age can ride on a
footpath and an adult rider supervising a cyclist under 12 can also
do the same. For everyone else there is a $106 fine for the act.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...fc2eaf25080934

The problem with /allowing/ cycling on footpaths is that it encourages
the perception that cyclists /should/ ride on footpaths - granted there
are some footpaths whose use is generally preferable to the main
carriageway, but there are many where it's not only slower but also
more hazardous.

Old December 8th 17, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Rob Morley wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:48:47 +0000
Bod wrote:

[...]

There are no footpaths in this nation where it is "preferable" to ride a
pedal bike on.

Old December 8th 17, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 20:31:56 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:48:47 +0000
Bod wrote:

[...]

Oh shut up you unfit useless lazy bugger who can't cycle more than
100 yards.

Have you ever in your worthless life made any constructive contribution to
any thread?
If so, show us.

Old December 8th 17, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 20:16:55 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:48:47 +0000
Bod wrote:

[...]

I mainly drive and occasionally cycle. As a driver I'd prefer if the
cyclists were on the footpath, so they don't impede traffic. As a
cyclist I always use the footpath if the road is busier (safer and
easier).

This is because you are a law breaking ******.

As pedestrian I don't care at all, I just step to the side
to let cyclists past.

This is because you are a gutless little ******.

Old December 8th 17, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 20:38:20 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Oh shut up you unfit useless lazy bugger who can't cycle more than 100 yards.

YOU shut up, you filthy unwashed workshy ****** that refuses to get up
before 10 a.m. and calls it an "illness"! You are DISGUSTING!

--
Unemployable, workshy "permanently ill" Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL) description of his "disease":
Old December 8th 17, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 20:40:22 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I mainly drive and occasionally cycle.

You mainly TROLL and bait for ATTENTION, you abnormal ****ed up pathological
attention whore!

Interesting report Tom Crispin UK 15 May 17th 08 09:52 PM
Police target South Australian cyclists deejbah[_2_] Australia 133 January 15th 08 09:00 AM
interesting report [email protected] Mountain Biking 30 November 6th 06 06:54 PM
Australian h*lm*t report Just zis Guy, you know? Social Issues 3 May 11th 05 04:00 PM
Australian h*lm*t report Just zis Guy, you know? UK 1 May 11th 05 11:16 AM