Nanodrive: The First 21st Century Drive Train System

Old April 1st 04, 06:00 AM
Sheldon Brown

Default Nanodrive: The First 21st Century Drive Train System

Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

Sheldon "Progress!" Brown
| Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they are. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old April 1st 04, 07:15 AM
Fraser Johnston

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

I love the first of April. Well done Sheldon.

Fraser

Old April 1st 04, 07:55 AM
Alan

I'm interested in this but concerned about backward compatability. I'm
currently using a 7 speed Shimano Hyperdrive system with 7 speed hubs,
cassette and chain. These parts are getting increasingly harder to source. I
was reluctate to upgrade to 8 speed because 9 was around to corner. Then it
was 10speed cassestte. Now it's 20 and that seems like enough. Will there be
any adapters to fit the new "20" onto my 7speed rear hub or must I replace
it along with everything else.

Old April 1st 04, 08:02 AM
Steve Peake

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:00:25 -0500, Sheldon Brown wrote:

Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete junk!

"(Featuring the new Citröen Monospoke Wheelset)"

Love those wheels!, the ultimate accessary for the weight weenie in all of
us

Steve
Old April 1st 04, 08:41 AM
JimLane

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

Sheldon "Progress!" Brown
| Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they are. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Please put me on the list for the next generation when fuzzy-logic
autoshifters are fully compatible. And please confer with DOD and NASA
and see when you can modify the ramjet technology for assisting us
beerkegs on bikes up the hill.

jim
Old April 1st 04, 09:20 AM
Mike

Sheldon Brown wrote:

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

Sheldon, brilliant idea! We are all growing old waiting for CVT
(continuously variable transmission), and this is almost as good but
built on proven technology.
My question is, I have an old non-indexed 3x7 speed bike. Will I
be able to use my existing shifters and derailers, and just buy
your new chainrings, cassette and chain?
Will there be a cassette to fit narrow dropouts of 6/7 speed frames?
Old April 1st 04, 10:25 AM
Richard Goodman

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete junk!

Sheldon, I'm disappointed! I thought when you called it 'Nano' drive you
meant something _really_ small, like tiny electric motors that could be
hidden inside hubs and bottom brackets, fueled by tiny fuel cells secreted
inside the seat tube, to give us mere mortals super-athelete type speed.
This is no more than mere evolution of existing technology, hardly a
revolution.. well, I suppose it is meant for revolution but you know what I
mean . Call it 'Microdrive' if you will, but it's hardly 'nano'drive,
don't exagerate ! .

Rich

Old April 1st 04, 11:35 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Sheldon Brown
') wrote:

Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED
Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete
junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

These monospoke wheels... does the rim stand on, or hang from, the
spoke?

Simon, GD&R

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.
Old April 1st 04, 12:15 PM
Trevor Barton

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:35:03 GMT, Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Sheldon Brown
') wrote:

Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED
Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete
junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

These monospoke wheels... does the rim stand on, or hang from, the
spoke?

Stand .. no, hang .. no, stand .. no, hang .. no, stand ....

--
Trevor Barton
Old April 1st 04, 12:29 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Sheldon Brown typed

Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

Sheldon "Progress!" Brown
| Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they are. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Look! Sheldon's grown his beard back!