VELORUTION! (bike revolution)

Old April 19th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_9_]

Default VELORUTION! (bike revolution)

yawn

Small kids should go to bed early. Say your prayers and dream with the
revolution.

You've become predictable, ergo, dull. Nobody cares. Get a clue. Your
paranoid ravings only show how delusional you are. Pity, that.

Old April 20th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

(Hey, it seems that the Christians in their SUVs are in control of our
roads. What's a monkey riding a bike to do?)

OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
lions.

Well, I made it alive because I rode the back alleys, gutters and
sidewalks of America, a strategy developed by our ancestors the
monkeys when they kept to the tree branches in order to survive. I
think on the road of evolution, Homo Sapiens somehow lost all common
sense. Somehow the alpha-male monkeys wanted to be a lion...

It was a nice ride.

http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...02224199217660

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

Old April 20th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
ComandanteBanana writes:

(Hey, it seems that the Christians in their SUVs are in control of our
roads.

Whaddaya expect? It's Sunday morning.

What's a monkey riding a bike to do?)

Scratch his ass and say: "Ook, ook."

OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
lions.

You must indeed be a sight to behold.

I hope you don't leave banana peels lyin' around
on the streets.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 20th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 20, 11:43*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * ComandanteBanana writes:

(Hey, it seems that the Christians in their SUVs are in control of our
roads.

Whaddaya expect? *It's Sunday morning.

What's a monkey riding a bike to do?)

Scratch his ass and say: "Ook, ook."

Well, that's actually a principle of solidarity (like that should
exist among the cyclists)...

http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...44539565161514

OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
lions.

You must indeed be a sight to behold.

I hope you don't leave banana peels lyin' around
on the streets.

Actually, that's my secret weapon. Also you have to know everything
about the jungle.

A monkey’s survival depend on knowing what’s going on in the jungle.
He knows the beasts are out there, and must stay out of their reach
because they are stupid and violent. That’s why the monkeys are still
around…

Motorist runs over woman, crashes into Walmart

PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. (WSVN)—A woman is in critical condition after the
driver of pickup truck reportedly ran her over intentionally in a
Walmart parking lot Friday.

Police said the driver of the truck repeatedly rammed the woman’s mini-
van at the superstore along the 1800 block of Pines Boulevard. When
the victimized motorist tried to escape her vehicle, the enraged truck
driver ran over her and crashed his pickup into the retailer’s garden
center.

Authorities arrested the truck’s driver.

Paramedics trnsporte the victim to Memorial Regional Hospital.

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI83576/

Old April 20th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default "never stand before the bull"

On Apr 19, 3:39*pm, "Jeremy Parker"
wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

OK, assume a far away land --a Banana Republic if you will-- where
the
cyclists are victims of discrimination and injustice, and all of a
sudden they come to power... and voila, VELORUTION!

Goodness gracious. *All this is very un-British. *I live, and ride my
bicycle in London, which seems to be the far-away land that you are
talking about. *London's a pretty good city to ride a bicycle in, no
need for new laws or conventions.

Oh, c'mon. The article was written by a Briton about Great Britain.
I've said your driving laws are very good and your new laws
restricting traffic into London are very encouraging, but I trust the
writer's statement that cyclists still live under the law of the
jungle in London to be right.

Either London is like Amsterdam, or it's not a welcoming place for
cyclists. How many people ride bike in London? Give me a percentage to
show.

Anyway, I'd rather ride a bike in London than in places where still
the drivers ignore any civilized rules of the road. In America we have
to tame the beast first.

I read the reviews of the book, but I'm sure even bullfighting can be
done in a safe way if you know the tricks of the trade beyond "never
stand before the bull"...

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/book_intro.html
Old April 20th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default everybody is armed and dangerous

One of the problems we've got is that everybody is armed and
dangerous. Nowadays the good-ol'-fashioned finger is not enough. Some
carry a gun, and some simply use their vehicles as the weapon. What's
a cyclist to do in such a jungle? I'm going to write a book, "Monkey
survival skills for the cyclist." First advice...

http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...49274811492050

Road rage runs rampant
on Bay Area highways

For whatever reason, one's genitalia grow exponentially while moving
at 40 mph in a steel and aluminum cage. Being at the helm of a 2-ton
machine makes people feel powerful, I would assume, leading to extreme
reactions from otherwise rational people.

Unfortunately, those extreme reactions are becoming more deadly.

As reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, a man driving on
Interstate Highway 280 was shot from a passing car. The man who died,
Luis Solari, died in front of his kids in the car. His offense: He cut
someone off.

The worst part is that this wasn't the first on Bay Area freeways this
month.

A woman was shot and killed April 3 on Interstate Highway 80 near
Pinole, and a man was shot along the same stretch of freeway April 1.
An arrest has been made in the former incident.

A gun is unnecessary, and says a lot about violence in our society.
Few problems, especially ones relating to cars, have ever been solved
by use of a gun. Words, even hand gestures, are better answers to the
whole problem. No one gets hurt with any of those.

Even fisticuffs are better. Bruises go away over time.

But expressing one's disgust at other people's driving by shooting a
gun at them is revealing because it's solving the problem of anger
with violence. Those who could angrily waive guns at you from passing
automobiles and potentially use them, may be showing their small
children in the back seats how not to act.

Until this point, the worst I got for cutting someone off was the
finger, not a bullet in the chest.

http://media.www.thespartandaily.com...-3321714.shtml
Old April 21st 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On Apr 20, 5:49*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
One of the problems we've got is that everybody is armed and
dangerous.

Hyperbole must be part of the Troll's Rules of Conduct. If "everybody
is armed and dangerous" every day should be one gigantic bloodbath
with hundreds of thousands killed or maimed yet that isn't the case.

Until this point, the worst I got for cutting someone off was the
finger, not a bullet in the chest.

The inference to be drawn from this would seem to be that you've
recently been shot for cutting someone off in traffic. In that case,
best wishes for a speedy recovery- and stop cutting people off.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old April 21st 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default BAD LAWS + CARS + GUNS = DEATH & FEAR

wrote:

One of the problems we've got is that everybody is armed and
dangerous.

Hyperbole must be part of the Troll's Rules of Conduct. If "everybody
is armed and dangerous" every day should be one gigantic bloodbath
with hundreds of thousands killed or maimed yet that isn't the case.

There are such a bad combination: BAD LAWS + CARS + GUNS = DEATH &
FEAR

Yep, bad laws --or lack of good laws-- start the cycle of violence.
Case in point is the lack of legislation or enforcement about passing
laws. Here's what's going on in my particular city that shouldn't be
much different from your average American city...

Miami is such a sprawling area. I don’t see how, even in the best possible circumstances, how the ENTIRE city could be bike-friendly.

Politicians and officers don’t care about bikes, one way or the other.
There ain’t much money in it. And basically you are at the good will
of drivers, who often feel cyclists are, at best, a nuisance.

But ALL IS NEEDED IS THE RIGHT LAWS, one that let’s you pass on the
left when in a hurry, and go slow on the right --as slow as 20mph if
we want to accomodate scooters and bikes. That’s THE WAY THEY DO IT IN
CIVILIZED COUNTRIES, not in the Banana Republics…

Road Rage Bill Clears Committee

A bill aimed at curbing road rage made it through its first Senate
committee, though similar legislation has stalled in recent years.

The legislation would attempt to reduce road rage by requiring drivers
to move out of the farthest lane left when being overtaken by faster
vehicles. It also would improve the flow of traffic, said the bill’s
sponsor, Sen. Mike Bennett, R-Bradenton.

One problem with the bill is that a person driving the legal speed
limit could be ticketed for not pulling over for someone who is
exceeding it, said Sen. Alex Villalobos, R-Miami, who voted against
the bill. The bill would also cause problems during rush hour because
there’s always someone in the left lane wanting to pass the car in
front of him, he said.

The Senate Committee on Transportation approved the bill (SB 658) with
a vote of 4-3. A similar House bill (HB 1177) passed its first
committee last week. The bill has several more stops before making it
to the floor of either chamber.

http://www.theledger.com/article/200...803260577/1374

Until this point, the worst I got for cutting someone off was the
finger, not a bullet in the chest.

The inference to be drawn from this would seem to be that you've
recently been shot for cutting someone off in traffic. In that case,
best wishes for a speedy recovery- and stop cutting people off.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

I simply quoted that article, but I share his concern. Settling
something with a finger or a gun are two different things.

The result of the equation above is that people are exposed to a real
threat, particularly if they assert their right with a finger. And
while few people actually get shot, the rest of the population live in
fear. Particularly the cyclists.

And we would have to start with changing the laws of the republic...
Old April 21st 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default no need to cry over the soccer moms

The only hope the cyclists got is that things get bad enough in the
international jungle. Yep, what may be bad news for the Stupid
Unnecessary Vehicles, may be good news for the smart and efficient
cyclits...

Oil prices spike to record above $117
Monday April 21, 9:53 am ET

Oil prices climb to record above $117 a barrel after Mideast attack on
Japanese oil tanker

Oil prices spiked to a record above $117 a barrel on Monday after a
Japanese oil tanker was attacked off the east coast of Yemen.
The 150,000-ton tanker Takayama was attacked about 270 miles off the
Yemen coast in the Gulf of Aden while it was heading for Saudi Arabia,
its Japanese operator, Nippon Yusen K.K., said in a statement posted
on its Web site.

***

But no need to cry over the soccer moms. They can use something like
this...

(cute, no?)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old April 21st 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Welcome to the Wild West

wrote:
One of the problems we've got is that everybody is armed and
dangerous.

Hyperbole must be part of the Troll's Rules of Conduct. If "everybody
is armed and dangerous" every day should be one gigantic bloodbath
with hundreds of thousands killed or maimed yet that isn't the case.

Until this point, the worst I got for cutting someone off was the
finger, not a bullet in the chest.

The inference to be drawn from this would seem to be that you've
recently been shot for cutting someone off in traffic. In that case,
best wishes for a speedy recovery- and stop cutting people off.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

It's only relatively recently, here in the U.S., that people have not
been able to be "armed" while out and about. I don't recall reading
anywhere about the "old west" being a blood bath.
__o | Every time I see an adult on a bicycle....
_`\(,_ | I no longer despair for the human race.
(_)/ (_) | ---H.G. Wells---- Hide quoted text -

Well, it seems to have been pretty wild...

I don't think many travellers would have dared ride a horse alone. No
safer than riding a bike in traffic today.

That's why "circle the wagons" came to be a popular saying.

Revolution trailer bike? Brendan Halpin UK 5 April 6th 08 09:09 AM
The 'Velorution' at Ripon College: Give Up Your Car, Get a Bike Claire General 2 February 14th 08 05:36 PM
More Velorution Charles Racing 0 June 11th 07 06:14 AM
Velorution ! Keith Racing 2 June 10th 07 02:42 AM
The Velorution will not be motorised. David Martin UK 2 March 3rd 05 09:05 AM