Can 25 grade bearings destroy lesser grade cones?

Old September 21st 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Can 25 grade bearings destroy lesser grade cones?

rbt gang--I believe I have suffered bull**** upon my ear, but as there
was a chance that the bull**** had a small chance of not being
bull****, I did not brave sparring directly with the bull****
yesterday...

D., at the LBS as I showed him a cone with two horrendous pits from
one of my bikes with cheepie Formula hubs, first suggested that the
damage could come from poor adjustment--a fair enough charge, I would
have guessed the same. At any rate, he comes to find out that I had
added a 25 grade ball to the hubs as they came packed with only 8 on
the drive side and he claims that one should never use 25 grade
bearings on "soft" races.

This sounds to me like utter bull****. Bearings are graded by
roundness, not hardness, no? Expose D. or let me have it like a man.
Old September 21st 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
landotter wrote:

rbt gang--I believe I have suffered bull**** upon my ear, but as
there was a chance that the bull**** had a small chance of not being
bull****, I did not brave sparring directly with the bull****
yesterday...

D., at the LBS as I showed him a cone with two horrendous pits from
one of my bikes with cheepie Formula hubs, first suggested that the
damage could come from poor adjustment--a fair enough charge, I would
have guessed the same. At any rate, he comes to find out that I had
added a 25 grade ball to the hubs as they came packed with only 8 on
the drive side and he claims that one should never use 25 grade
bearings on "soft" races.

This sounds to me like utter bull****. Bearings are graded by
roundness, not hardness, no? Expose D. or let me have it like a man.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-fa...section-2.html

Answers those questions. D. is blowing smoke on this. In fact, I would
think that using grade 25s would protect cheap cones better.
Old September 21st 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 21, 10:14 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

landotter wrote:
[...]

Thought so. Thanx!
Old September 21st 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

landotter wrote:
rbt gang--I believe I have suffered bull**** upon my ear, but as there
was a chance that the bull**** had a small chance of not being
bull****, I did not brave sparring directly with the bull****
yesterday...

D., at the LBS as I showed him a cone with two horrendous pits from
one of my bikes with cheepie Formula hubs, first suggested that the
damage could come from poor adjustment--a fair enough charge, I would
have guessed the same. At any rate, he comes to find out that I had
added a 25 grade ball to the hubs as they came packed with only 8 on
the drive side and he claims that one should never use 25 grade
bearings on "soft" races.

how could he possibly "find out" from the ball count??? unless you
fitted the wrong size ball and had to reduce the count to compensate.
what would explain your pitting problem too because the race is no
longer contoured correctly and thus point load is too high.

as to "grade 25", that's a roundness factor, not hardness. in that
respect, your lbs is "confused" - however, they /are/ right that you're
doing something wrong.

This sounds to me like utter bull****. Bearings are graded by
roundness, not hardness, no? Expose D. or let me have it like a man.

i think you just taught yourself a lesson. the lbs is the messenger.
Old September 21st 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
landotter wrote:

[...]

timmy, that is an incredibly retarded cite because not only does it not
actually cover the topic, it propagates the myth about "matched" bearing
sets.

Old September 21st 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 21, 11:09 pm, jim beam wrote:
landotter wrote:
[...]

What is that exactly? Responding to you I assume.

/snort
Old September 21st 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

landotter wrote:
[...]

whoops, did i say something you didn't want to hear??? /so/ sorry about
that!

Old September 22nd 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,

landotter wrote:
[...]

Well, to be fair, the bearing preload could have been incorrect.
Old September 22nd 08, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 22, 7:34 am, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

landotter wrote:
[...]

Bearing preload? Now you're talking bull****, with a hollow axle hub,
ya adjust so there's the slightest slop before you take it out with
tension from the Q/R lever. Or maybe we're out of jargon
alignment. ;-)

At any rate--the pitting was likely caused by riding with a missing
bearing, IMHO, as I can' t think of any other variable. Can't right
remember how far I rode them that way. I got the bike home, dialed in
the hubs first thing--but didnt count the balls till the hub seemed
noisy a week or so in...

Spent half an hour with a catalog and a caliper before ordering a
replacement...then pedaled the fixie back behind the alley, found a
good stash of tacoed Formula hubbed wheels...I'm coned for life.

RR: B-grade at Marconi 30-Jul-05 ritcho Australia 1 August 1st 05 12:59 AM
What % grade? Dave R Techniques 39 July 16th 05 07:45 PM
Kew crit. 3.11.04 D grade. Well, the first 60%... ritcho Australia 2 November 4th 04 04:57 AM
Kew crit. 3.11.04 D grade. Well, the first 60%... suzyj Australia 1 November 4th 04 02:24 AM
Kew crit. 3.11.04 D grade. Well, the first 60%... Walrus Australia 0 November 4th 04 01:36 AM