Caged ball bearings

Old July 17th 09, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

Default Caged ball bearings

Did you know:

John Harrison, the clockmaker, invented them. I didn't. He also invented
the bimetallic strip. What a terribly clever chap!

tom

--
No, Charlie, Tottenham Court Road is the Midlands. -- Lola, 'Kinky Boots'
Old July 18th 09, 03:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 23:02:31 +0100
Tom Anderson wrote:

Did you know:

John Harrison, the clockmaker, invented them. I didn't. He also
invented the bimetallic strip. What a terribly clever chap!

I knew about the bimetallic strip. According to Wikipedia he invented
the caged roller bearing, not ball bearing.

Old July 18th 09, 05:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn

Tom Anderson wrote in
rth.li:

Did you know:

John Harrison, the clockmaker, invented them. I didn't. He also invented
the bimetallic strip. What a terribly clever chap!

tom

Who invented the ball bearing?
Old July 19th 09, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

Tom Anderson wrote:

Did you know:

John Harrison, the clockmaker, invented them. I didn't. He also
invented the bimetallic strip. What a terribly clever chap!

I knew about the bimetallic strip. According to Wikipedia he invented
the caged roller bearing, not ball bearing.

I slouch corrected. Although i don't really see how the two are different
- once you have the idea of a caged roller bearing, isn't a caged ball
bearing a trivial modification?

tom

--
No gods, no masters.
Old July 19th 09, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On Jul 17, 11:02*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Did you know:

John Harrison, the clockmaker, invented them. I didn't. He also invented
the bimetallic strip. What a terribly clever chap!

tom

--
No, Charlie, Tottenham Court Road is the Midlands. -- Lola, 'Kinky Boots'

Are you Nobby's brother?
Old July 19th 09, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Tom Anderson wrote:

Did you know:

John Harrison, the clockmaker, invented them. I didn't. He also
invented the bimetallic strip. What a terribly clever chap!

I knew about the bimetallic strip. According to Wikipedia he
invented the caged roller bearing, not ball bearing.

I slouch corrected. Although i don't really see how the two are
different
- once you have the idea of a caged roller bearing, isn't a caged
ball bearing a trivial modification?

Apparently the first patent for ball bearings wasn't registered until
15 years after Harrison's death. I imagine the difficulty of
manufacturing the balls had something to do with that.