crank size vs. 1:1 gear on a b*ke

Old February 2nd 05, 09:10 PM
steveyo

Default crank size vs. 1:1 gear on a b*ke

So, in my new obsession with hill climbing, I was reading about bikers
and their gear choices on the mountain climb races, such as Mt.
Washington, where there's 8 or so miles at an average 12% grade.

Bikers choose a gear said be to *less* than 1:1. That is, their front
chain ring is smaller than their rear chain ring, and for each pedal,
they travel less than one wheel's revolution.

Unicyclists always have 1:1 ratios (except for those crazy geared jobs),
and we vary crank length to make it easier to pedal, right? Has anyone
quatified crank length vs. bicyclists' gear? That is, how much easier
is it to pedal with longer cranks, like 125mm vs. 150mm vs. 175 mm.?

TIA

--
steveyo - touring wobbler

steveyo

If your feet are cold, cover your head.
- eskimo proverb

Old February 2nd 05, 09:18 PM
TheObieOne3226

Don't forget to consider the bicyclists crank size. It has the same
effect.

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

"Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him" - KJ-52

"try not to annoy the great Obie, for he is better than us." - Murde
Mental

Old February 2nd 05, 09:20 PM
steveyo

Oh. Yeah, I guess it does.

Old February 2nd 05, 09:42 PM
gauss

Just compare torque at the ground. The two factors for unis are wheel
diameter and crank length. For bikes it is both of these and gear.
-c

--
gauss - memory fault (coredump)

gauss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/651

what size wheel is your UW and what crank lenth are you using with it? jagur Unicycling 4 January 21st 05 03:42 AM
Thoughts on bike gear technology advancement John Morgan Mountain Biking 28 June 19th 04 05:09 AM
Longer crankarms Jiyang Chen Racing 129 March 18th 04 12:37 PM
Dumb Newbie Qs on Gears and Speed Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 July 27th 03 08:23 PM
Crank square taper hole too large - options? Phil Holman Techniques 12 July 18th 03 02:10 AM