Didn't this NG used to be about mountain biking?

Old December 5th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Default Didn't this NG used to be about mountain biking?

Gman wrote:
v wrote:
I'm 6'3" and I never found my XL Surly 1x1 any too big. What kind of
riding are you doing that think you want a smaller bike - are you
hucking the thing or what? I think you'd be miserable on a shorter
frame if you ride XC trails of any distance. Not to mention you'd look
like a goob.

Shorty.

I ride XC and on the greenbelt with my daughter. The Surly
XL is 22", and a big 22 at that. My last SS was the size of
the L (20") Surly and it fit me better. Basically the
Surly's are sized big w/ not a lot of standover...just don't
like that. My seat is only up like 6" and I wouldn't mind
lowering it a bit.

That's why I didn't buy a 1x1, the geometry is way too "eastern" for my
liking. If you want to drop some dollahs, give me a hollah via email.

JD

Old December 6th 06, 11:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G Wood

Hey Tom

Are you the prospective buyer of said frame, or selling it? Just curious -
that's my FS ride.

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Smaller = more rigid. What do you think about a Klein Adept Race frame
for $500.00? I'm cheap, too. Tom

Old February 12th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Default Didn't this NG used to be about mountain biking? (Surly follow-up)

On Feb 11, 3:31 pm, Gman wrote:
G wrote:
I actually wanted to talk about a bike...my Surly 1x1. After
much contemplation, I have decided it's too big. Yes, I
know it's hard to believe, but at 6'5", I actually _do_ want
a smaller frame on the SS. The XL just doesn't give me the
ability to get around on the bike as much as I desire with a
rigid SS.

However, I don't think I'll buy a new Surly frame retail for
~$400, because, well...I'm cheap, and it's Winter. I got
plenty of snowboarding time to reload SS's. I'm keeping my
eye out for a bargain, and that includes even swapping back
to an SS conversion (maybe an old steel Specialized again).

Well I _thought_ I had plenty of snowboarding time to look
around, but it looks like Winter has just given up on us
here in mid-Feb. It's 50 degrees right now, and it's been
that way for 2-weeks. Looked good last night, 34 up top,
snowing and temp dropping, but when we got up this am, 38
and raining up there. Ugh.

Regardless, I think I might have found what I'm looking for.
Just picked up a classic:http://geeman.freeshell.org/pix/BridgestoneMB5_sm.JPG

It's clearly a 1993 thanks to the wealth of information on
Sheldon Brown's site:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1993/index.htm

A bit smaller than the Surly and despite the vintage, it
hasn't been abused. I plan to utilize much of the existing
componentry for an SS build (wheels are straight, the
old-school V's even have a nice feel to them). I would have
liked the MB-1 with the lighter frame, but hey, less flex!
:-)

It will be a while, because I got 350 projects going at the
moment, but we've got something to work with.

CDB, isn't the Grey Lady a Bridgestone? Brothers unite!

G "back to the classics"

Dood, it nearly brought a tear to me eye, bro! Yes, the Gray Lady is
a steel Bridgestone, and a finer wench a lad'll never find. You're
gonna love it. Mine had u-brakes and lots of other funky things that
I had to pay to have cut, welded, and so on. I'm thinking of racing
her in Barking Spider this Spring, and you oughta the fun. I know
that you know your SS's, but for cheap conversion ideas, talk to Flip
on the Idaho board.

CDB

Old February 12th 07, 03:17 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 11, 2:31 pm, Gman wrote:
G wrote:
[...]

Keep an eye on the head tube lugs. GJPD had a few that broke there,
though after many years of service.

JD