It's like a jungle out there for bike riders

Old April 26th 08, 04:54 AM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,dc.biking
Aeek

Default It's like a jungle out there for bike riders

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:02:56 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:19:27 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana
wrote:

So it is that cyclists must stay in
constant alert for predators, like the monkeys of the jungle.

Monkeys are well known for throwing **** at passers by and making lots
of noise.

Perhaps that explains some of the posts from bike riders?

What, because of the morons who like to throw things from cars?
Old April 26th 08, 06:57 AM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
Myal

ComandanteBanana wrote:
On Apr 25, 11:15 am, Peter Clinch wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
"The bicyclist is under attack from all directions - the streets are
ragged, the air is poison, and the drivers are angry."

It doesn't sound much like my experience. I don't find I'm "under
attack", and furthermore that if I give drivers due consideration then I
get due consideration back (just as when I'm driving, I give cyclists
due consideration and get it back).

Go out there spoiling for a fight and you'll find one though.

But then again, you don't seem to live in the DEEP jungle.

The UK has one of the safest drivers in the world.

but how long is that guy gunna last tho ? and what happens when he karks
it ?
Old April 26th 08, 06:59 AM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
Myal

ComandanteBanana wrote:
On Apr 25, 1:17 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:19:27 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana

wrote:
*Riding a bike is good for the environment, great for peace, and
excellent for your health. We need facilities, though, like BIKE LANES
to be safe.

Yes Indeed.

Btw..we managed to successfully avoid the democracy trap here in the
US, fortunately the Founders realized how dangerous a democracy is,
and gave us a constitutional republic.

I just have a problem with the language "by the people and for the
people..."

I wonder what the type of democracy they are exporting to Iraq... ???

they are killing outthe people who dont support the will of the people
.... the people that count that is .
Old April 26th 08, 05:49 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
ComandanteBanana

Default Did you know they call NYC the "Asphalt Jungle"?

And it ain't because I'm picking on NYC because the same thing is
happening in my city or any other American city. But bad reputations
are hard to get rid of...

'Riding in NYC is pretty scary. Many people are driving without a
license and/or without insurance, and that's not even touching on all
the trucks and vans speeding along making deliveries and not really
giving a damn about who's around them. Most drivers are extremely
aggressive and subconsciously, they drive in attack mode. They will
only think of the consequences after they hit you, and even though you
may have been "right" , you're already in the hospital or dead.
I learned my lesson by seeing too many accidents already.........I
simply assume that most drivers are going to try and speed through a
fresh red light or that a car door will swing open without someone
looking to see if anything is coming.'

http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4088
Old April 26th 08, 06:50 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
Frank[_3_]

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
[...]

Same goes for San Francisco, we have a lot of hit and run.

Old April 26th 08, 07:12 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
Frank[_3_]

"Jim" wrote in message
It doesn't sound much like my experience. I don't find I'm "under
attack", and furthermore that if I give drivers due consideration then I
get due consideration back (just as when I'm driving, I give cyclists
due consideration and get it back).

Go out there spoiling for a fight and you'll find one though.

Pete.

I have to agree with Pete in this regard. I have been riding a bike
around town and for 5 years commuting to work and in 30 years have
never once had a problem with drivers. Pedestrians are another
matter. When I rode a motorcycle I learned to be very visible.

I use to commute to work until I felt sick breathing poison from the
tailpipes during rush hours. Many close calls from drivers not paying
attention. Then there were a few drivers who intentionally run bikes off the
road or cause an accident.

On the other hand we have Critical Mass with thousands of bicyclists amassed
in downtown San Francisco during Friday rush hour. No idea what the protest
was but sure ****ed off thousands of commuters who just wanted to go home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass

Old April 26th 08, 08:24 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 26, 1:50*pm, " Frank" wrote:
[...]

Same goes for San Francisco, we have a lot of hit and run.- Hide quoted text -

I think that's an American desease. I had one of those in a little Geo
Tracker I had, but was able to follow the guys. I was lucky to recover
500 bucks on the spot.
Old April 26th 08, 08:26 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 26, 2:12*pm, " Frank" wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

I think those are rather wild monkeys. They scare people instead of
winning them over.

We should occupy one and only one lane. Just the fair share away from
the lion's share the cars currently hold.
Old April 26th 08, 09:03 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
Gunner Asch[_2_]

wrote:
So it is that cyclists must stay in
constant alert for predators, like the monkeys of the jungle.

Monkeys are well known for throwing **** at passers by and making lots
of noise.

Perhaps that explains some of the posts from bike riders?

Perhaps yall may now have some grasp of the thinking of a longtailed
cat, in a room full of rocking chairs?

Gunner

The monkeys --sorry the cyclists-- you are talking about are the ones
in lycra. They are much noiser than the commuter type. And don't eat
peanuts.

True indeed Most commuter types are interested in surviving to make
it home, or to work.

Its the lycra'd "purists" and endorphine addicts that are the biggest
problem. Those and the homeless drunks/druggies that have to resort
to a second hand store Huffy to make their rounds as they lost their
DLs years ago.

Hum...sometimes its hard to tell them apart, but for the clothing.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old April 26th 08, 09:05 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,dc.biking
Gunner Asch[_2_]

wrote:

So it is that cyclists must stay in
constant alert for predators, like the monkeys of the jungle.

Monkeys are well known for throwing **** at passers by and making lots
of noise.

Perhaps that explains some of the posts from bike riders?

What, because of the morons who like to throw things from cars?

Those morons should be shot. Assault with a deadly weapon is the crime
when something is thrown at a rider.

I had a beer bottle miss my head by inches once tossed by an illegal
immigrant in a pickup truck.

His truck became disabled shortly thereafter, and he was too, not
long after that.