Assymetric wheel lacing

Old November 21st 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Adam Kadlubek

Default Assymetric wheel lacing

Greetings.

I stand before the task of lacing the rear wheel for my brand new
downhill/all-mountain bike. 26", long travel suspension.

I wonder if there is a benefit to lace the wheel assymetrically - that
is 2x on the disc brake side and 4x for best torque transfer on the
drive side(there is going to be 36 tooth sprocket on the rear, with 22
front there are going to be some serious torque values to handle)

Is there a benefit, other then looks, for this approach?

Regards
--
Adam Kadlubek
Old November 21st 08, 11:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Adam Kadlubek wrote:
Greetings.

I stand before the task of lacing the rear wheel for my brand new
downhill/all-mountain bike. 26", long travel suspension.

I wonder if there is a benefit to lace the wheel assymetrically - that
is 2x on the disc brake side and 4x for best torque transfer on the
drive side(there is going to be 36 tooth sprocket on the rear, with 22
front there are going to be some serious torque values to handle)

Is there a benefit, other then looks, for this approach?

Regards
--
Adam Kadlubek

with 4x you'll probably end up with a nasty bend in the spoke where it
exits the spokenipple

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old November 21st 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Nov 21, 3:06*am, Adam Kadlubek wrote:
Greetings.

I stand before the task of lacing the rear wheel for my brand new
downhill/all-mountain bike. 26", long travel suspension.

I wonder if there is a benefit to lace the wheel assymetrically - that
is 2x on the disc brake side and 4x for best torque transfer on the
drive side(there is going to be 36 tooth sprocket on the rear, with 22
front there are going to be some serious torque values to handle)

Is there a benefit, other then looks, for this approach?

Regards
--
Adam Kadlubek

No benefit as with any disc brake hub, it is stiff from one side to
the other. 36 hole, built well on an appropriate rim, laced 3 cross.
Old November 21st 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
No benefit as with any disc brake hub, it is stiff from one side to
the other. 36 hole, built well on an appropriate rim, laced 3 cross.

Yep... another issue is that you can generate a lot of torque with the
brake also.
Old November 21st 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Nov 21, 4:06*am, Adam Kadlubek wrote:
Greetings.

I stand before the task of lacing the rear wheel for my brand new
downhill/all-mountain bike. 26", long travel suspension.

I wonder if there is a benefit to lace the wheel assymetrically - that
is 2x on the disc brake side and 4x for best torque transfer on the
drive side(there is going to be 36 tooth sprocket on the rear, with 22
front there are going to be some serious torque values to handle)

Notwithstanding the relative torque capacities of x2 and x4 lacing, do
you really think you can put more torque on the rear wheel with your
pedals than a disc brake can? I'm pretty sure I can't do that-- I can
stop a lot faster, even with one brake, than I can get up to speed.

That said, even cross-two lacing should have plenty of leverage. I'd
use normal cross-three lacing on both sides if I didn't already have
the spokes for some other lacing pattern.

Is there a benefit, other then looks, for this approach?

Cross-two is better than cross-three or cross-four if you want to lace
all on the same side of the flange to help compensate for wheel dish.
This is often referred to as Gilmer "Race Lace", and it works. I
think the original version was all elbows-out on both sides of the hub
for maximum gross bracing angle, but I am more likely to use all
elbows-in on the left and all elbows-out on the right for minimum dish
(if that allows acceptable clearance to the chain and inside sprocket/
freewheel body). Oddly, cross-five on a 36-spoke wheel works well for
all-in or all-out lacing. Race Lace is sensitive to flange diameter,
so you may want to do a drawing and figure out what you're up
against.

Chalo
Old November 22nd 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris[_12_]

On Nov 21, 2:06*am, Adam Kadlubek wrote:
I wonder if there is a benefit to lace the wheel assymetrically - that
is 2x on the disc brake side and 4x for best torque transfer on the
drive side

None to speak of, unless you are the owner of the bike shop you get
work done at. Three cross great, I would stick with it.

Chris
Old November 22nd 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
wizardB

Chris wrote:
On Nov 21, 2:06 am, Adam Kadlubek wrote:
I wonder if there is a benefit to lace the wheel assymetrically - that
is 2x on the disc brake side and 4x for best torque transfer on the
drive side

None to speak of, unless you are the owner of the bike shop you get
work done at. Three cross great, I would stick with it.

Chris

3 cross 14 gauge spokes 32 hole hub I use this combo on the shore and
weigh 230 lbs. and have never had a problem with my wheels because of
weakness now impacting trees at high speed well thats another thing.