Recommendations

Old December 1st 10, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for these areas:

Lube for chain - been using synthetic grease

Bike shop put something on, but it "washed" off pronto.

Something for my shoe laces.

I try to keep them short or double tied.

Real scary feeling when they caught in your chain. :-0

Something for your pedal that's anti-slip.
Gotta be reasonable in price.

Manual with techniques to convince bike shop owner that Raleighs
aren't old school and that you need a new bike. :-)

Anyone tried using a short range cell phone jammer while riding?

Andy

Old December 1st 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schism_%28religion%29.

Bike shop put something on, but it "washed" off pronto.

Something for my shoe laces.

I try to keep them short or double tied.

Real scary feeling when they caught in your chain. :-0

Shoes with straps and/or buckles.

See http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/.

Better bike shop owner: http://www.yellowjersey.org/sports.html.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 1st 10, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

Andy wrote:
Looking for recommendations for these areas:

Lube for chain - been using synthetic grease

Bike shop put something on, but it "washed" off pronto.

Something for my shoe laces.

I try to keep them short or double tied.

Real scary feeling when they caught in your chain. :-0

Tuck the tips under the front lashings. Try velcro and ratchet closures.

Something for your pedal that's anti-slip.
Gotta be reasonable in price.

Duct tape. Rat traps. Cleats. I also tried briefly pedals that had allen
screw adjustable "studs". These stood proud of the surface, and do sorta
grip your shoes. They also gripped the shin really well and left gouges that
took two months or so to become only slightly visible.

Manual with techniques to convince bike shop owner that Raleighs
aren't old school and that you need a new bike. :-)

Flashing the cash didn't do it?

Anyone tried using a short range cell phone jammer while riding?

No, and I don't think there's much to recommend that. At least while he's
yapping, his hands are on the wheel, and eyes sort of pointed in the right
direction. Phuck with his signal, and he'll unpinch it from his shoulder,
look stupidly at the bars, and maybe bang it experimentally on the dash to
remedy the situation. Not recommended. It has more negatives than positives.
And for sure, I'd run you flat myself if I thought you were the miscreant
responsible.

Old December 1st 10, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 11/30/2010 11:55 PM, MikeWhy Who? wrote:
[...]And for sure, I'd run you flat myself
if I thought you were the miscreant responsible.

No wonder you want to stay anonymous.

Old December 1st 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Andy wrote:

Looking for recommendations for these areas:

Lube for chain - been using synthetic grease

I don't think anybody who is obliged to work on bikes would ever
recommend any kind of grease to lube a chain. That's just nasty, as
well as totally ineffectual at getting lube deep inside the chain
where it matters. Use a wicking oil-based lube (e.g. Tri-Flow) if you
aren't too concerned about mess, solvent/wax based lube (e.g. White
Lightning) if you are. I have tried all kinds of chain lubes, but now
I use Tri-Flow-- not least because that's what we use in my shop.
Convenience is king.

Bike shop put something on, but it "washed" off pronto.

So reapply. Is this hard?

Something for my shoe laces.

I try to keep them short or double tied.

Real scary feeling when they caught in your chain. :-0

Deck shoes? Wellingtons? Ballet slippers? Velcro?

Something for your pedal that's anti-slip.
Gotta be reasonable in price.

Reasonable is a matter of taste. There are anti-slip pedals for every
taste.

http://distilledmag.files.wordpress....09/02/bkln.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/p...SharkBite3.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/p...ripleTrap2.jpg

http://static.26bikes.com/GetFile/12490/ped.jpg

http://www.alienationbmx.com/wp-cont...lpit_red_0.jpg

Manual with techniques to convince bike shop owner that Raleighs
aren't old school and that you need a new bike. :-)

Best technique is to find a different and more service-oriented shop.
Note: I will still heap scorn and abuse upon Nottingham Raleighs, but
not because they are old. Only because they suck. Much.

Anyone tried using a short range cell phone jammer while riding?

Why wouldn't you want a long range cell phone jammer?

Chalo

Old December 1st 10, 09:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Dec 1, 8:01*am, Chalo wrote:
Andy wrote:

Anyone tried using a short range cell phone jammer while riding?

Why wouldn't you want a long range cell phone jammer?

Chalo

Because he's a selective hooligan, an example to you'n'me? -- AJ

Old December 1st 10, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 30, 11:20*pm, Andy wrote:
Looking for recommendations for these areas:

Lube for chain - been using synthetic grease

Bike shop put something on, but it "washed" off pronto.

Something for my shoe laces.

I try to keep them short or double tied.

Real scary feeling when they caught in your chain. :-0

Something for your pedal that's anti-slip.
Gotta be reasonable in price.

Manual with techniques to convince bike shop owner that Raleighs
aren't old school and that you need a new bike. :-)

Anyone tried using a short range cell phone jammer while riding?

Andy

I have a CHEAP fix for this:-

Something for my shoe laces. I try to keep them short or double tied.

I take a used inner tube and make a bunch of little rubber bands which
then stash in my pockets and 'seat bag'.

After making a 'bow' with the laces, I then double them over and apply
a band.

This not only keeps the laces out of the chain but it makes it a lot
easier to undo the laces than it would be if you had 'double knotted'
them.

Lewis

*****
Old December 1st 10, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Andy wrote:
:Looking for recommendations for these areas:

:Lube for chain - been using synthetic grease

:Bike shop put something on, but it "washed" off pronto.

:Something for my shoe laces.

Relace your shoes:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm

--
sig 105
Old December 1st 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 1, 2:01*am, Chalo wrote:
Andy wrote:

Looking for recommendations for these areas:

Lube for chain - been using synthetic grease

I don't think anybody who is obliged to work on bikes would ever
recommend any kind of grease to lube a chain. *That's just nasty, as
well as totally ineffectual at getting lube deep inside the chain
where it matters. *Use a wicking oil-based lube (e.g. Tri-Flow) if you
aren't too concerned about mess, solvent/wax based lube (e.g. White
Lightning) if you are. *I have tried all kinds of chain lubes, but now
I use Tri-Flow-- not least because that's what we use in my shop.
Convenience is king.

I've used aerosol lith grease in a carrier for sloppy conditions. You
just need to let it set up for an hour, then wipe the chain off
thoroughly. Messy, but really effective for ice-biking.

For everyday lubing, I use transmission fluid. It's just 5w oil with
some magical sprinkles.

Bike shop put something on, but it "washed" off pronto.

I used to use the Park chain lube at the shop for my own ride. Super
clean, great for pivots and such, but it never really impressed me on
a chain. Like an anemic Tri-flow.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/p...dysseySharkBit...

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/p...dysseyTripleTr...

http://static.26bikes.com/GetFile/12490/ped.jpg

http://www.alienationbmx.com/wp-cont...lpit_red_0.jpg

My goto pedal these days for utility is the Odyssey Twisted in
plastic. Fifteen to twenty bucks. Super comfortable, shin friendly,
grippy, and comes in fashion colors.

Manual with techniques to convince bike shop owner that Raleighs
aren't old school and that you need a new bike. :-)

Best technique is to find a different and more service-oriented shop.
Note: I will still heap scorn and abuse upon Nottingham Raleighs, but
not because they are old. *Only because they suck. *Much.

Yeah, you can usually tell if they were made before or after lunch by
looking at the welds. That said, if a bike shop talks **** about your
bike, find a new shop.

Old December 1st 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

landotter wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Note: I will still heap scorn and abuse upon Nottingham Raleighs, but
not because they are old. *Only because they suck. *Much.

Yeah, you can usually tell if they were made before or after lunch by
looking at the welds.

My issue is not with the workmanship (ever seen an All-Pro?) but with
the intransigent 26 tpi stuff. I mean, old Schwinns have a lot of
proprietary parts standards, but the charm (for lack of a better word)
of those bikes is such that you can still buy all the special parts,
new and cheap. Not so with old Raleighs. I must not be the only one
who thinks they're dogs.

It's regrettable, because many of those bikes wouldn't be half bad if
it weren't for the stupid threads.

Chalo

Bar bag recommendations Tosspot[_2_] UK 3 July 29th 08 09:07 PM
MTB recommendations Tony Australia 0 May 4th 07 02:30 PM
new uni - recommendations? fuolornis Unicycling 7 February 13th 07 07:49 PM
HRM recommendations BruceA Australia 12 October 24th 05 02:57 PM
Recommendations? :) Sprite UK 19 September 4th 03 03:13 PM