Two-way street for cyclists

Old April 19th 12, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr Benn[_5_]

Default Two-way street for cyclists

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...ail/story.html

A reader's letter published in the Leicester Mercury recently:

"I write with regard to cyclists as a car and HGV driver.

I would like to give a few tips to the cyclists featured in the Leicester
Mercury complaining of the danger to them from cars and lorries. At night,
give us a chance to see you and fit lights. A cycle with lights on at night
is rarer than the dodo.

Red lights mean stop - yes, even to you. Don't cross a junction on a red
light.

A one-way street means exactly that. It's one-way, not suit yourself.

Don't ride up the side of lorries at traffic lights. If you can't see our
face in the mirrors, we cant see you.

If you think the law on using lights does not apply to you, and that appears
to be 99 per cent of cyclists, a least wear something bright.

Press for a law that all cyclists pay insurance to cover damage to cars as
they scrape by them, and which covers compensation after people who ride on
pavements knock you over.

Cars, lorries and cyclists can all use the road together but the highway
code applies to all."

Old April 19th 12, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:18:15 +0100, "Mr Benn"
wrote:

Cars, lorries and cyclists can all use the road together but the highway
code applies to all.

The most sensible comment of the letter.

I wonder how often the writer of the letter breaks one or more of the
highway code rules such as rule 93 or rule 124.
Old April 19th 12, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
NM

wrote:
Cars, lorries and cyclists can all use the road together but the highway
code applies to all.

The most sensible comment of the letter.

I wonder how often the writer of the letter breaks one or more of the
highway code rules such as rule 93 or rule 124.

Is that the two wrongs make it right rule?
Old April 20th 12, 05:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_9_]

wrote:
Cars, lorries and cyclists can all use the road together but the highway
code applies to all.

The most sensible comment of the letter.

I wonder how often the writer of the letter breaks one or more of the
highway code rules such as rule 93 or rule 124.

Is that the two wrongs make it right rule?

Almost certainly. The usual defence of the militant cyclist.

Old April 20th 12, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:
Cars, lorries and cyclists can all use the road together but the highway
code applies to all.

The most sensible comment of the letter.

I wonder how often the writer of the letter breaks one or more of the
highway code rules such as rule 93 or rule 124.

Is that the two wrongs make it right rule?

No. I'm just highlighting possible hypocricy and double standards in
the truck driver's rant.
Old April 20th 12, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

wrote:
Cars, lorries and cyclists can all use the road together but the highway
code applies to all.

The most sensible comment of the letter.

I wonder how often the writer of the letter breaks one or more of the
highway code rules such as rule 93 or rule 124.

Is that the two wrongs make it right rule?

No. I'm just highlighting possible hypocricy and double standards in
the truck driver's rant.

Would such things (assuming that you could demonstrate them, which of course,
you cannot) disapply the Highway Code in respect of cycling and cyclists?

Old April 20th 12, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Simon Mason

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message

Cars, lorries and cyclists can all use the road together but the highway
code applies to all.

The most sensible comment of the letter.

I wonder how often the writer of the letter breaks one or more of the
highway code rules such as rule 93 or rule 124.

Every day, like most drivers do I expect.
Around here driving on pavements, one eyed monsters and speeding are the
most common offences with using a mobile phone a close fourth.

--
Simon Mason