A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 19th 12, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,662
Default Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

Rat-running cyclists are endangering stall traders by using a pedestrianised
area as a short-cut, it has been claimed.

Mitcham residents and traders have become increasingly frustrated with
people on bikes using Mitcham town centre in order to avoid the busy one-way
traffic on Holborn Way.

Christine Higgs, 50, of Streatham Road, said: "They [cyclists] just come
screeching down the pavement on their bikes and try to swerve round you.

"They once hit my son, who is six, and I was really angry because they hurt
him but they didn't apologise. It is a big problem."

Stall trader Alan Hunt, 69, said: "In the morning when you are trying to set
up it is a nightmare because they [cyclists] just cut straight through at
high speed on their way to work.

"I have had my stall damaged by cyclists speeding in the past and it is
dangerous for my customers."


http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n..._run_cyclists/


Ads
  #2  
Old May 19th 12, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,223
Default Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

On 19/05/2012 15:55, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
...
Rat-running cyclists are endangering stall traders by using a
pedestrianised area as a short-cut, it has been claimed.

Mitcham residents and traders have become increasingly frustrated with
people on bikes using Mitcham town centre in order to avoid the busy
one-way traffic on Holborn Way.

Christine Higgs, 50, of Streatham Road, said: "They [cyclists] just come
screeching down the pavement on their bikes and try to swerve round you.

"They once hit my son, who is six, and I was really angry because they hurt
him but they didn't apologise. It is a big problem."

Stall trader Alan Hunt, 69, said: "In the morning when you are trying to
set up it is a nightmare because they [cyclists] just cut straight through
at high speed on their way to work.

"I have had my stall damaged by cyclists speeding in the past and it is
dangerous for my customers."


Poke an umbrella or walking stick into the spokes of any reckless cyclist,
stop them before they cause serious harm.


Would a piece of c. 1cm dowel not serve just as well and have the twin
advantages of cheapness and immediate easy replacement?

  #3  
Old May 19th 12, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,662
Default Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

JNugent wrote:
On 19/05/2012 15:55, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
...
Rat-running cyclists are endangering stall traders by using a
pedestrianised area as a short-cut, it has been claimed.

Mitcham residents and traders have become increasingly frustrated
with people on bikes using Mitcham town centre in order to avoid
the busy one-way traffic on Holborn Way.

Christine Higgs, 50, of Streatham Road, said: "They [cyclists] just
come screeching down the pavement on their bikes and try to swerve
round you. "They once hit my son, who is six, and I was really angry
because
they hurt him but they didn't apologise. It is a big problem."

Stall trader Alan Hunt, 69, said: "In the morning when you are
trying to set up it is a nightmare because they [cyclists] just cut
straight through at high speed on their way to work.

"I have had my stall damaged by cyclists speeding in the past and
it is dangerous for my customers."


Poke an umbrella or walking stick into the spokes of any reckless
cyclist, stop them before they cause serious harm.


Would a piece of c. 1cm dowel not serve just as well and have the twin
advantages of cheapness and immediate easy replacement?


I think it would need to be thicker for reliability. But it would have to
be much more hefty to stop something with alloy wheels. I understand that a
good shove on the handlebars woks well.
A friend in Cambridge carries a heavy metal tool box to jobs and finds that
is very effective.


  #4  
Old May 19th 12, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,223
Default Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

On 19/05/2012 16:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
JNugent wrote:
On 19/05/2012 15:55, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

wrote in message
...
Rat-running cyclists are endangering stall traders by using a
pedestrianised area as a short-cut, it has been claimed.

Mitcham residents and traders have become increasingly frustrated
with people on bikes using Mitcham town centre in order to avoid
the busy one-way traffic on Holborn Way.

Christine Higgs, 50, of Streatham Road, said: "They [cyclists] just
come screeching down the pavement on their bikes and try to swerve
round you. "They once hit my son, who is six, and I was really angry
because
they hurt him but they didn't apologise. It is a big problem."

Stall trader Alan Hunt, 69, said: "In the morning when you are
trying to set up it is a nightmare because they [cyclists] just cut
straight through at high speed on their way to work.

"I have had my stall damaged by cyclists speeding in the past and
it is dangerous for my customers."

Poke an umbrella or walking stick into the spokes of any reckless
cyclist, stop them before they cause serious harm.


Would a piece of c. 1cm dowel not serve just as well and have the twin
advantages of cheapness and immediate easy replacement?


I think it would need to be thicker for reliability. But it would have to
be much more hefty to stop something with alloy wheels. I understand that a
good shove on the handlebars woks well.
A friend in Cambridge carries a heavy metal tool box to jobs and finds that
is very effective.


Would you say that this sub-thread is a reasonable analogue of the ones where
some posters urge others to swing D-locks at vehicles, bang on them with
clenched fists or even to throw bicycles onto their bonnets?




  #5  
Old May 19th 12, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,662
Default Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

JNugent wrote:
On 19/05/2012 16:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
JNugent wrote:
On 19/05/2012 15:55, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

wrote in message
...
Rat-running cyclists are endangering stall traders by using a
pedestrianised area as a short-cut, it has been claimed.

Mitcham residents and traders have become increasingly frustrated
with people on bikes using Mitcham town centre in order to avoid
the busy one-way traffic on Holborn Way.

Christine Higgs, 50, of Streatham Road, said: "They [cyclists]
just come screeching down the pavement on their bikes and try to
swerve round you. "They once hit my son, who is six, and I was
really angry because
they hurt him but they didn't apologise. It is a big problem."

Stall trader Alan Hunt, 69, said: "In the morning when you are
trying to set up it is a nightmare because they [cyclists] just
cut straight through at high speed on their way to work.

"I have had my stall damaged by cyclists speeding in the past and
it is dangerous for my customers."

Poke an umbrella or walking stick into the spokes of any reckless
cyclist, stop them before they cause serious harm.

Would a piece of c. 1cm dowel not serve just as well and have the
twin advantages of cheapness and immediate easy replacement?


I think it would need to be thicker for reliability. But it would
have to be much more hefty to stop something with alloy wheels. I
understand that a good shove on the handlebars woks well.
A friend in Cambridge carries a heavy metal tool box to jobs and
finds that is very effective.


Would you say that this sub-thread is a reasonable analogue of the
ones where some posters urge others to swing D-locks at vehicles,
bang on them with clenched fists or even to throw bicycles onto their
bonnets?


No, because this is pedestrians defending themselves from cyclists, no cars
involved.


  #6  
Old May 19th 12, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,997
Default Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:18:53 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

JNugent wrote:
On 19/05/2012 15:55, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
...
Rat-running cyclists are endangering stall traders by using a
pedestrianised area as a short-cut, it has been claimed.

Mitcham residents and traders have become increasingly frustrated
with people on bikes using Mitcham town centre in order to avoid
the busy one-way traffic on Holborn Way.

Christine Higgs, 50, of Streatham Road, said: "They [cyclists] just
come screeching down the pavement on their bikes and try to swerve
round you. "They once hit my son, who is six, and I was really angry
because
they hurt him but they didn't apologise. It is a big problem."

Stall trader Alan Hunt, 69, said: "In the morning when you are
trying to set up it is a nightmare because they [cyclists] just cut
straight through at high speed on their way to work.

"I have had my stall damaged by cyclists speeding in the past and
it is dangerous for my customers."

Poke an umbrella or walking stick into the spokes of any reckless
cyclist, stop them before they cause serious harm.


Would a piece of c. 1cm dowel not serve just as well and have the twin
advantages of cheapness and immediate easy replacement?


I think it would need to be thicker for reliability. But it would have to
be much more hefty to stop something with alloy wheels. I understand that a
good shove on the handlebars woks well.
A friend in Cambridge carries a heavy metal tool box to jobs and finds that
is very effective.



I have an umbrella which has a 6" metal rod protruding after the material.

It is amazing - almost everytime a cyclist "meets" me on a footpath the rod
gets tangled in the spokes: amazing coincidences.


  #7  
Old May 19th 12, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lieutenant Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 880
Default Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

On Sat, 19 May 2012 09:45:49 +0100, Mrcheerful wrote:

Rat-running cyclists are endangering stall traders by using a pedestrianised
area as a short-cut, it has been claimed.

Mitcham residents and traders have become increasingly frustrated with
people on bikes using Mitcham town centre in order to avoid the busy one-way
traffic on Holborn Way.

Christine Higgs, 50, of Streatham Road, said: "They [cyclists] just come
screeching down the pavement on their bikes and try to swerve round you.

"They once hit my son, who is six, and I was really angry because they hurt
him but they didn't apologise. It is a big problem."

Stall trader Alan Hunt, 69, said: "In the morning when you are trying to set
up it is a nightmare because they [cyclists] just cut straight through at
high speed on their way to work.

"I have had my stall damaged by cyclists speeding in the past and it is
dangerous for my customers."


http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n..._run_cyclists/


Maybe they should stop littering our pavements with stalls and get a proper shop.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

When a clock is hungry, it goes back four seconds.
  #8  
Old May 19th 12, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,174
Default Three-day cycling festival announced for Nottingham this July

QUOTE:

Nottingham will this summer host a three-day cycling festival, E.ON Cycle
Live Nottingham, that will begin with a series of circuit races on the
evening of Friday 13 July, concluding the following Sunday with the E.ON
Great Notts Bike Ride. In between organisers promise "a whole range of
cycling based activities with something that will appeal to everyone." The
event was formally launched on Thursday by top trials rider, Danny Butler.

The city's Victoria Embankment will be the base for the event, which gets
under way with the E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham Grand Prix on the Friday
evening, with participants in the closed circuit races spanning
schoolchildren to elite riders.

On Saturday, the East Midlands city will host the E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham
Festival of Cycling, which includes a series of cycling themed events as
well as live music and entertainment.

The final event of the weekend will be the E.ON Great Notts Bike Ride on
Sunday 15 July, which starts and finishes at Victoria Embankment and
includes three route options - Sportive, which is around 100 miles,
Challenge, of approximately 48 miles, and the 19-mile Community ride. Loan
bikes will be available for participants who need them.

The same day will also see a three-mile E.ON Nottingham City Ride take place
on closed roads in the south of the city, supported by Decade of Better
Health, a joint initiative of NHS Nottingham City and Nottingham City
Council. The event is free, with the aim of encouraging participation from
people living in deprived parts of the city.

Chris Simon of Perfect Motion Sports Marketing, which is organising the
weekend, said: "We want to get the people of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire,
the East Midlands and even further afield excited by this brand new event,
which puts the county on the map as a cycling hot spot.

"The weekend will have something for everyone, from the excitement of
circuit races on the Friday through a whole host of weird and wonderful
cycling displays and activities on the Saturday.

"We then finish with the new routes at the E.ON Great Notts Bike Ride on the
Sunday. From the novice cyclist and families looking for a great day out,
right through to elite riders, we hope that everyone will join us in July to
celebrate all things cycling".

Councillor Dave Trimble, Nottingham City Council's Portfolio holder for
Leisure, Culture and Tourism, commented: "We are proud and delighted that
E.ON have chosen Nottingham to launch what will be a great weekend of
cycling, putting top quality races alongside events for novice cyclists so
that there is something for everyone.

"Expanding the ever-popular Great Notts Bike Ride in this way gives a
variety of options for people of all abilities to get on a bike, get
involved, have some fun and get in some healthy exercise. It could be the
catalyst that persuades the weekend's cyclists to adopt cycling as their
transport of choice."

Germany-based energy supplier E.ON is one of Nottingham's largest employers,
with around 6,000 employees in and around the city, where it is currently
building a new office complex. Its backing of the cycling festival is the
first fruits of a wider sponsorship programme aimed at reinforcing links
with the local community.

Jeremy Davies, E.ON's Marketing Director , said: "We want to do more than
simply supply people with the power they need to run their lives and I'm
delighted we're able to do that here in Nottingham with E.ON Cycle Live
Nottingham, offering a greater experience to our customers in a way that's
relevant and convenient to them.

"We're all about helping people to become energy fit - reducing their energy
use, their bills and their effect on the planet - and E.ON Cycle Live
Nottingham is a great way for people to get fit themselves and also
hopefully learn something about energy efficiency along the way.

"Over the coming months we'll be offering free entry, discount tickets and
priority areas for our customers, along with the opportunity to learn more
about our sustainable projects in Nottingham and how we're helping their
customers to get energy fit."

Further information on E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham can be found on the
event's
website.
http://road.cc/content/news/58619-th...ottingham-july

--
Simon Mason

  #9  
Old May 19th 12, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,703
Default Numb-nuts Mason changes the subject again.

On 19/05/2012 19:33, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:

Nottingham will this summer host a three-day cycling festival, E.ON Cycle
Live Nottingham, that will begin with a series of circuit races on the
evening of Friday 13 July, concluding the following Sunday with the E.ON
Great Notts Bike Ride. In between organisers promise "a whole range of
cycling based activities with something that will appeal to everyone." The
event was formally launched on Thursday by top trials rider, Danny Butler.

The city's Victoria Embankment will be the base for the event, which gets
under way with the E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham Grand Prix on the Friday
evening, with participants in the closed circuit races spanning
schoolchildren to elite riders.

On Saturday, the East Midlands city will host the E.ON Cycle Live
Nottingham
Festival of Cycling, which includes a series of cycling themed events as
well as live music and entertainment.

The final event of the weekend will be the E.ON Great Notts Bike Ride on
Sunday 15 July, which starts and finishes at Victoria Embankment and
includes three route options - Sportive, which is around 100 miles,
Challenge, of approximately 48 miles, and the 19-mile Community ride. Loan
bikes will be available for participants who need them.

The same day will also see a three-mile E.ON Nottingham City Ride take
place
on closed roads in the south of the city, supported by Decade of Better
Health, a joint initiative of NHS Nottingham City and Nottingham City
Council. The event is free, with the aim of encouraging participation from
people living in deprived parts of the city.

Chris Simon of Perfect Motion Sports Marketing, which is organising the
weekend, said: "We want to get the people of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire,
the East Midlands and even further afield excited by this brand new event,
which puts the county on the map as a cycling hot spot.

"The weekend will have something for everyone, from the excitement of
circuit races on the Friday through a whole host of weird and wonderful
cycling displays and activities on the Saturday.

"We then finish with the new routes at the E.ON Great Notts Bike Ride on
the
Sunday. From the novice cyclist and families looking for a great day out,
right through to elite riders, we hope that everyone will join us in
July to
celebrate all things cycling".

Councillor Dave Trimble, Nottingham City Council's Portfolio holder for
Leisure, Culture and Tourism, commented: "We are proud and delighted that
E.ON have chosen Nottingham to launch what will be a great weekend of
cycling, putting top quality races alongside events for novice cyclists so
that there is something for everyone.

"Expanding the ever-popular Great Notts Bike Ride in this way gives a
variety of options for people of all abilities to get on a bike, get
involved, have some fun and get in some healthy exercise. It could be the
catalyst that persuades the weekend's cyclists to adopt cycling as their
transport of choice."

Germany-based energy supplier E.ON is one of Nottingham's largest
employers,
with around 6,000 employees in and around the city, where it is currently
building a new office complex. Its backing of the cycling festival is the
first fruits of a wider sponsorship programme aimed at reinforcing links
with the local community.

Jeremy Davies, E.ON's Marketing Director , said: "We want to do more than
simply supply people with the power they need to run their lives and I'm
delighted we're able to do that here in Nottingham with E.ON Cycle Live
Nottingham, offering a greater experience to our customers in a way that's
relevant and convenient to them.

"We're all about helping people to become energy fit - reducing their
energy
use, their bills and their effect on the planet - and E.ON Cycle Live
Nottingham is a great way for people to get fit themselves and also
hopefully learn something about energy efficiency along the way.

"Over the coming months we'll be offering free entry, discount tickets and
priority areas for our customers, along with the opportunity to learn more
about our sustainable projects in Nottingham and how we're helping their
customers to get energy fit."

Further information on E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham can be found on the
event's
website.
http://road.cc/content/news/58619-th...ottingham-july


--
Simon Mason



--
Dave - Cyclists VOR. "Many people barely recognise the bicycle as a
legitimate mode of transport; it is either a toy for children or a
vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton - Lancaster
University
  #10  
Old May 20th 12, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,242
Default Three-day cycling festival announced for Nottingham this July

On May 19, 7:33*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
QUOTE:

Nottingham will this summer host a three-day cycling festival, E.ON Cycle
Live Nottingham, that will begin with a series of circuit races on the
evening of Friday 13 July, concluding the following Sunday with the E.ON
Great Notts Bike Ride. In between organisers promise "a whole range of
cycling based activities with something that will appeal to everyone." The
event was formally launched on Thursday by top trials rider, Danny Butler..

The city's Victoria Embankment will be the base for the event, which gets
under way with the E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham Grand Prix on the Friday
evening, with participants in the closed circuit races spanning
schoolchildren to elite riders.

On Saturday, the East Midlands city will host the E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham
Festival of Cycling, which includes a series of cycling themed events as
well as live music and entertainment.

The final event of the weekend will be the E.ON Great Notts Bike Ride on
Sunday 15 July, which starts and finishes at Victoria Embankment and
includes three route options - Sportive, which is around 100 miles,
Challenge, of approximately 48 miles, and the 19-mile Community ride. Loan
bikes will be available for participants who need them.

The same day will also see a three-mile E.ON Nottingham City Ride take place
on closed roads in the south of the city, supported by Decade of Better
Health, a joint initiative of NHS Nottingham City and Nottingham City
Council. The event is free, with the aim of encouraging participation from
people living in deprived parts of the city.

Chris Simon of Perfect Motion Sports Marketing, which is organising the
weekend, said: "We want to get the people of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire,
the East Midlands and even further afield excited by this brand new event,
which puts the county on the map as a cycling hot spot.

"The weekend will have something for everyone, from the excitement of
circuit races on the Friday through a whole host of weird and wonderful
cycling displays and activities on the Saturday.

"We then finish with the new routes at the E.ON Great Notts Bike Ride on the
Sunday. From the novice cyclist and families looking for a great day out,
right through to elite riders, we hope that everyone will join us in July to
celebrate all things cycling".

Councillor Dave Trimble, Nottingham City Council's *Portfolio holder for
Leisure, Culture and Tourism, commented: "We are proud and delighted that
E.ON have chosen Nottingham to launch what will be a great weekend of
cycling, putting top quality races alongside events for novice cyclists so
that there is something for everyone.


My brother lives in Nottingham and has e-mailed me to say that he is
going to attend and thanked me for the heads up.

--
Simon Mason
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another pavement motorist badly damages a house and puts occupants at risk. Doug[_10_] UK 2 May 22nd 12 07:51 AM
Yet another pavement motorist damages a house and puts the occupantsat risk. Doug[_10_] UK 0 March 14th 12 05:45 AM
Risk from cyclists Tom Crispin[_4_] UK 106 May 10th 11 07:59 AM
Cyclists complain that they cant cycle on couples property Marie UK 104 October 31st 10 06:42 PM
Pavement cyclists targeted again but not pavement motorists. Doug[_3_] UK 44 October 30th 09 07:31 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.