Threading cables through internal stops

Old April 1st 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Kerber

Default Threading cables through internal stops

I recently acquired a used Cervelo P2K frame, which has internal cable
runs inside the top tube. However, as I was starting to assemble it, I
discovered that the section of cable casing that runs inside the top
tube had come out of its place at the holes and was sliding around
inside the top tube.

I had no trouble removing the casing from the tube and verifying that
there was nothing wrong with it, and that there's nothing else loose
inside the frame.

However, what is the trick for getting this (or a replacement) cable
housing back in place? I imagine I could come up with something which
would require a ton of trial and error to get the end of the cable
through the holes, but was hoping there was some special technique
somebody could describe or point me to, to help me along.

Googling turned up information that it is not supposed to be difficult
to service, but had no details.

newsgroups if possible).
Old April 1st 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:31:30 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

[...]

Dear David,

Tape a long thread to the end of a bare wire cable.

Push the wire through the frame and past the exit hole.

Fish through the exit hole with a small wire hook, snag the thread,
and pull it out the exit hole.

(You can make the hook out of a single strand of cable wire.)

Use the thread to guide the wire out the exit hole.

It's much easier to coax the end of the cable through the hole if the
thread is taped so that it comes off the end of the cable:

___thread_______
\
_______/
/////////TTTT
wire tape

Run the cable housing over the wire and then push it through the
frame.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 1st 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

That's sort of what I was thinking of, but thanks for confirming and
filling in the details!

newsgroups if possible).
Old April 1st 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 1, 9:31*pm, David Kerber
wrote:
[...]

I've used the threaded end of a spoke to grab a housing by poking the
spoke into the end of the casing as it came near the hole in the frame
while feeding the housing through from the other side. Use your mouth
to hold the flashlight!

Joseph
Old April 1st 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
David Kerber wrote:

[...]

My first attempt.

* Put top tube vertical in a bicycle work stand.
* Drop dental floss and a small weight into top hole.
* Flashlight and tweezers (or clamp hemostat)
at the other top tube hole.
* Grab dental floss.

--
Michael Press
Old April 2nd 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:20:46 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

If it's more convenient you can use a vacuum cleaner to get the thread into the
exit hole.

Ron

Old April 2nd 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

RonSonic wrote:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:20:46 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

That idea sucks!

[rimshot]

Old April 2nd 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 1, 1:20*pm, David Kerber
wrote:
In article ,
says...

* * * * * * * * * \ *
* * * * * *_______/
* /////////TTTT
* wire * * *tape

Run the cable housing over the wire and then push it through the
frame.

That's sort of what I was thinking of, but thanks for confirming and
filling in the details!

The problem with using thread is that it isn't very strong.
Most of the time it's okay. It's not so much that the cable
might get caught on a run and break the thread. Rather,
the problem is that you can't use thread to strangle people
who think internal cable routing is a good idea; you
need to use monofilament line, at least.

Ben
A good mechanic cures the disease rather than
the symptom.

FA-3 nice Campagnolo BBs, ITL threading Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Marketplace 0 January 24th 08 12:03 AM
Spoke Threading Method The Dougster Techniques 14 September 17th 06 01:44 PM
threading tool? zippy Unicycling 5 August 21st 06 11:08 AM
Brake bolt threading landotter Techniques 15 July 20th 06 06:56 AM
Threading a threadless steerer Sven Longren Techniques 11 December 15th 04 02:50 AM