What are the differences between Sugino Alpina and Alpina 2 cranks?

Old April 1st 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

Default What are the differences between Sugino Alpina and Alpina 2 cranks?

Does anybody know what, if any, are the difference between the Sugino
Alpina and Alpina 2 crankarms? For example, Jitensha sells the Sugino
Alpina (also known as the Cospea in Japan) with black Sugino rings for
$265 (or with TA rings for $295):

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/cospeacrnk_e.html

However, Beyond Bikes sells a Sugino Alpina 2 crankset for $113:

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...1&MatrixType=1

Obviously, the rings are different and the logo on the Alpina 2 is the
newer updated version. Anything else? Thanks!
Old April 1st 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

I have been drooling over these cranks for a long time. The Alpina
Cospea XD8000 from Jitensha (and also bensbike on ebay, in Octalink)
was a high-end crankset sugino was offering, and its weight was about
570 grams.

The XD600 / Alpina2 (or XD500, it seems to be one of those two models)
seems to be a mid-quality replacement, heavier with thicker rings.
The Alpina Cospea isn't on the sugino website any more, it has morphed
into a Dura-Ace type of crankset with integrated bottom bracket.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA
Old April 1st 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

bfd writes:

Does anybody know what, if any, are the difference between the Sugino
Alpina and Alpina 2 crankarms?

1. Alpina Cospea has much thinner (lighter, more machined) chainrings
than Alpina2 cranks, which has the XD700 / XD600 chainrings.

2. Alpina 2 looks like it might be 110 bcd only. No inner 74 mm
spider. You might want to call BeyondBikes to check on this
fact. All the japanese websites offer Alpina2 as a double only.

http://translate.google.com/translat...3DZB9%26sa%3DN

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA
Old April 1st 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Apr 1, 3:03*pm, (Donald Gillies) wrote:
bfd writes:
Does anybody know what, if any, are the difference between the Sugino
Alpina and Alpina 2 crankarms?

1. *Alpina Cospea has much thinner (lighter, more machined) chainrings
* * than Alpina2 cranks, which has the XD700 / XD600 chainrings.

Wow, thanks for the link! Interestingly, other than chainrings and
logo, the crankarms seem to be similar. Or at least the design looks
the same.

2. *Alpina 2 looks like it might be 110 bcd only. *No inner 74 mm
* * spider. *You might want to call BeyondBikes to check on this
* * fact. *All the japanese websites offer Alpina2 as a double only.

*http://translate.google.com/translat...p://www.cycle-...

110bcd double works as that's all I need. At this point, the alpina 2
looks like a good deal as I can always "upgrade" the rings later.
Thanks!
Old April 1st 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Check out this Alpina Cospea (in Octalink) before you make your buying decision :

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUGINO-ALPINA-80...QQcmdZViewItem

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old April 2nd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Apr 1, 3:39*pm, (Donald Gillies) wrote:
Check out this Alpina Cospea (in Octalink) before you make your buying decision :

*http://cgi.ebay.com/SUGINO-ALPINA-80..._W0QQitemZ1802....

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Thanks Don. The problem with that crank is it is only fits an Octalink
bb. I'm an old-school square taper guy and prefer to use a Phil bb.
The only other square taper cranks out there that I was considering
was the Campy Centaur at Nashbar:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...l%20Produ cts

At $60, its a bargain! I wonder if it fits a JIS bb? Brewster
Old April 2nd 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Apr 1, 4:04 pm, bfd wrote:
On Apr 1, 3:39 pm, (Donald Gillies) wrote:

Check out this Alpina Cospea (in Octalink) before you make your buying decision :

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUGINO-ALPINA-80..._W0QQitemZ1802...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Thanks Don. The problem with that crank is it is only fits an Octalink
bb. I'm an old-school square taper guy and prefer to use a Phil bb.
The only other square taper cranks out there that I was considering
was the Campy Centaur at Nashbar:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...y=&brand=&sku=...

At $60, its a bargain! I wonder if it fits a JIS bb? Brewster

It's spec'ed for an ISO BB. Some swear it will work OK, others say
that the earth will swallow you up if you mix them. IIRC (all hail)
Sheldon once said you could mix them, but don't use that crank on an
ISO spindle afterwards. Also, it will treat spindle length differently
(I think the JIS seats deeper, but don't quote me on that) so a
standard ISO 111 will have the same chainline as a JIS 113 or 108, I
forget which. Phil's shoulderless design will easily allow you to
accommodate that and get the proper chainline.

FWIW, I bought one of those Centaur CT cranks back when they were $80
and they were a good deal then. Mine replaced a Centaur 135/53-39, and
I use a Phil 110.5 ISO spindle (It's on my PX-10, so a Phil is the
only way to get ISO and French threading).
Old April 2nd 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Apr 1, 6:08*pm, Hank wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:04 pm, bfd wrote:

[...]

only way to get ISO and French threading).- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I found the link:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Based on what Sheldon says it sounds like it might stick out, but
would in practice work.

Q-Factor of Sugino cranks? onelesscar Unicycling 10 August 14th 07 11:56 PM
Differences between Cranks? littleman Unicycling 15 July 19th 07 09:15 PM
Spokes: DT vs. Sapim vs. Alpina Mike Techniques 28 August 12th 06 09:07 PM
Sugino Cranks Kerry Techniques 3 August 17th 05 09:49 PM
Sugino cranks...Still around???? DaveWV Mountain Biking 8 August 9th 04 04:37 PM