saddle longevity

Old October 30th 03, 12:52 PM
Jean

Default saddle longevity

My 3 year old Serfas Curva saddle (which initially had a fairly flat
surface) seems to be getting more and more V-shaped with usage. The
saddle's shell is some sort of plastic (nylon?). Is this sort of
"reshaping" of the shell to be expected after a few years? What sort of
longevity should I expect from a saddle with a plastic shell?

Jean

Old October 30th 03, 10:24 PM
Colin Anderson

my (second hand) identiti kevlar saddle snapped in half the other day -
pretty uncomfortable. showed no signs before hand - it suddenly became very
uncomfortable.
lucky i had a spare at home.

Cheers
Colin

Old October 31st 03, 01:14 AM
Jay Beattie

"Jean" wrote in message
My 3 year old Serfas Curva saddle (which initially had a fairly flat
surface) seems to be getting more and more V-shaped with usage. The
saddle's shell is some sort of plastic (nylon?). Is this sort of
"reshaping" of the shell to be expected after a few years? What sort

of
longevity should I expect from a saddle with a plastic shell?

Forever. I still ride a 1973 Cinelli saddle, a Unicanitor from about
'78. I have a Turbo (my favorite saddle) from the 80s. All of them
have plastic shells, none of which have changed shape over the years --
at least not appreciably. I had a Brooks from '69 or so (bought used),
and it did become an ass-hatchet, but that is another thread. -- Jay
Beattie.

Old November 2nd 03, 10:17 PM
byfred

Jay Beattie wrote:
"Jean" wrote in message -
My 3 year old Serfas Curva saddle (which initially had a fairly flat
surface) seems to be getting more and more V-shaped with usage. The
saddle's shell is some sort of plastic (nylon?). Is this sort of
"reshaping" of the shell to be expected after a few years? What sort

of
longevity should I expect from a saddle with a plastic shell?

Forever. I still ride a 1973 Cinelli saddle, a Unicanitor from about
'78. I have a Turbo (my favorite saddle) from the 80s. All of them
have plastic shells, none of which have changed shape over the years
-- at least not appreciably. I had a Brooks from '69 or so (bought
used), and it did become an ass-hatchet, but that is another thread.
-- Jay Beattie.

I agree with Jay. I too use Cinelli Unicanitor saddles, from about '78
vintage, on both my touring and road bikes and they have not altered
their shape in the least over the years, or the miles. I do give them
both the occasional treatment of leather perservator, but that is about
all. My Brookes Professional "ass-hatchet", I gave to a vintage bike
collector..........byfred

Old November 3rd 03, 07:56 PM
Jay Beattie

"byfred" wrote in message
Jay Beattie wrote:
"Jean" wrote in message

-
[...]

You know, my post should have said a Cinelli Unicanitor from about '73
(maybe a little later) and an Ideal 2002 from 1978. That was a good
saddle, too. I looked at Ebay and saw a used Unicanitor sold for $46.
Gawdamighty, that is about twice (or more) than I paid for mine. These
were not expensive saddles, any of them. -- Jay Beattie.