V-brake binding.

Old May 10th 16, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default V-brake binding.

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
On 5/9/2016 2:46 PM, Ian Field wrote:

All I stated was; the Bernoulli effect doesn't put the R/W heads into
contact with the platter.

You can twist the interpretation any way you want - the facts remain
facts.

The facts that remain are that we all have brakes and know how to fix
them.

All the wrong answers I got would seem to suggest otherwise.

Its really quite amusing to watch a bunch of chavs trying to justify their
ignorance.

Old May 10th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ian Field" considered Mon, 9 May
2016 19:46:45 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
. ..
"Ian Field" considered Sat, 7 May
2016 19:37:13 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
m...
Frank Krygowski considered Thu, 5 May 2016
22:33:03 -0400 the perfect time to write:

On 5/5/2016 6:52 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 05/05/16 23:25, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 12:17:54 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 5/4/2016 7:32 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 20:20:21 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ian Field" considered
Sun, 1 May 2016 19:54:01 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Tosspot" wrote in message
On 30/04/16 14:54, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 19:32:47 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

wrote in message

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 1:37:22 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:

You'd think I'd know better than to even bother
asking
here........................................

Then exactly WHY did you ask here? And of course
you won't mind if there's no response in the
future.

I'm seriously considering unsubscribing from this
group - all I ever get is patronising and insulting
replies.

Errrr.... You don't have to unsubscribe. You can just
leave.

I can't actually remember ever getting the right
answer here before I figured it out by myself.

And a damned good reason to leave, I'd say.

Jeez, did anyone follow the thread enough to find out
what the problem was?

Probably too much preload on the springs causing pivot
friction.

Only one person came even close - and they suggested I'd
made the really basic stupid mistake of setting the 2
springs to different preloads.

No I didn't. The closest I came to that was suggesting that
you check that they were in the same holes if the screws
needed to be set radically different to each other - which
was another thing that you'd never actually told us,

You must've had selective blindness on all the occasions I
described the things I'd tried while servicing the pivots -
like trying different types of grease, and lightly sanding
the pivot surfaces trying to get them to hold onto some
grease. Even running a spare detachable pivot post in the
electric drill to make sure the hole in the caliper arm run
smooth.

The only suggestions I got were all the first things I
checked - to say that I'm not impressed, would be something
of an understatement.

If I'd asked on rec.bicycles.diy.bodger - the standard of
replies I got here would have been understandable.

I'm starting to wonder what terrible thing some people here
did in a previous life to come back as what they did!

Someone recently posted a reference to U.S. Standard regarding
bicycles sold in the U.S. (Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) in
Title 16, Part 1512.)

There are a number of standards but the first listed reads:

"(1) Adults of normal intelligence and ability must be able to
assemble a bicycle that requires assembly".

Given that you are, apparently, in the U.S. trying to
fix/assemble a bicycle sold in the U.S. we must assume that
said bicycle meets U.S. standards.

Thus it is obvious that as said bicycle meets U.S. standards
and you are unable to assemble/fix said bicycle that the only
conclusion is that you must either be, not an adult, or not of
normal intelligence.

Given your long drawn out explanations and excuses for not
being able to fix/assemble the bicycle the latter conclusion
seems to be most likely.

We're a large country with a hidden problem. Half our citizens
are below average.

Its a well known fact that the US has more crazies per head of
population than any other country - just watch the even crazier
Trump being backed well on his way to the White House.

I can only assume that most of the people that replied to my
question, are in the US.

Spend any day in the House of Commons and you'll see your share of
crazies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeaLGealHQ These guys
make
Trump look like a piker.

And yes, we in the U.S. answered your question -- perhaps not the
answer you wanted, but then again, it was a trick question. I'm
still waiting for the answer. As Andrew pointed out, it couldn't
be
the spring pre-load, and according to you, it was none of five
things
that usually cause binding.

I thought we got it down to Van Der Waals forces at the brake pad.

And not gyroscopic precession?

No, it's clearly the Bernoulli effect of the faster airflow lowering
the pressure more through one gap (or venturi) if one pad is even
microscopically closer to the rim than the other, which causes the
ambient air pressure to push the pad the rest of the way onto the rim.

You've got that back to front.

There was a "Bernoulli" computer hard drive that used the effect to keep
the
R/W heads *OFF* the platters.

By shaping the heads to create lift, and using what is known in flight
as "ground effect" but is actually the slight adhesion of any fluid to
a bordering surface (thus REDUCING the Bernnoulli effect). The guys
who named that drive actually didn't really understand what they were
using the name for. The just wanted a distinctive name for sales
purposes. All hard disc drive heads fly in that way anyway - it's
the only way to keep them close to the spinning disk without hitting
it..
I honestly don't think you can teach me much about the Bernoulli
effect - I'm a bloody pilot, so I had to study it, pass examinations
which included accurate descriptions of it's effects, and demonstrate
how to apply it in the practical control of an aircraft.

All I stated was; the Bernoulli effect doesn't put the R/W heads into
contact with the platter.

But, in a perfect frictionless system*, it would get them close enough
that contact would be inevitable - if only from the surface
imperfections, never mind the fact that no wheel is perfectly true.

You can twist the interpretation any way you want - the facts remain
facts.

The facts are that none of us have a non-working brake between the lot
of us - of any type,

Yet no one was capable of giving the correct answer - so I hope for your
sake, they don't develop a problem.

Old May 10th 16, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/10/2016 3:17 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote:

The facts are that none of us have a non-working brake between the lot
of us - of any type,

Yet no one was capable of giving the correct answer - so I hope for your
sake, they don't develop a problem.

I haven't seen any evidence that you can tell the correct answer from a
wrong answer. IOW, last I heard, your brakes still don't work.

At this point, the odds are good that you've been given the correct
answer, perhaps multiple times, and have failed to successfully use the
information.

BTW, over the years I've developed various brake problems. I've always
fixed them rather easily. Always!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 16, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote:

The facts are that none of us have a non-working brake between the lot
of us - of any type,

Yet no one was capable of giving the correct answer - so I hope for your
sake, they don't develop a problem.

I haven't seen any evidence that you can tell the correct answer from a
wrong answer. IOW, last I heard, your brakes still don't work.

The last you heard - I'd given up on getting the right answer from a bunch
of idiots.

Old May 10th 16, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 3:14:18 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
On 5/9/2016 2:46 PM, Ian Field wrote:

All I stated was; the Bernoulli effect doesn't put the R/W heads into
contact with the platter.

You can twist the interpretation any way you want - the facts remain
facts.

The facts that remain are that we all have brakes and know how to fix
them.

All the wrong answers I got would seem to suggest otherwise.

Its really quite amusing to watch a bunch of chavs trying to justify their
ignorance.

And you're the HEAD CLOWN! We that advised you, all have WORKING PROPERLY ADJUSTED V-brake and using our posted trouble-shooting advice we have fixed countless other V-brakes. You however STILL DON'T have a properly adjusted V-brake.

You call those who can and do fix V-brakes idiots but the real idiot is in your mirror.

TROLL!

Cheers
Old May 10th 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

"Phil W Lee" wrote:

The facts are that none of us have a non-working brake between the lot
of us - of any type,

Yet no one was capable of giving the correct answer - so I hope for your
sake, they don't develop a problem.

I haven't seen any evidence that you can tell the correct answer from
a wrong answer. IOW, last I heard, your brakes still don't work.

The last you heard - I'd given up on getting the right answer from a
bunch of idiots.

Did you fix your brakes? If so, when?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 11th 16, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 10 May 2016 20:17:04 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ian Field" considered Sat, 7 May
2016 19:37:13 +0100 the perfect time to write:

om...

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Obviously you are the one that doesn't understand. The facts are that
nobody loves you and there is a concerted plot to prevent you from
adjusting your brakes.

See? It wasn't you calling everyone a "**** wit" it was them all the
time. They just don't love you.

(happy now?)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 16, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

"Phil W Lee" wrote:

The facts are that none of us have a non-working brake between the lot
of us - of any type,

Yet no one was capable of giving the correct answer - so I hope for your
sake, they don't develop a problem.

I haven't seen any evidence that you can tell the correct answer from a
wrong answer. IOW, last I heard, your brakes still don't work.

At this point, the odds are good that you've been given the correct
answer, perhaps multiple times, and have failed to successfully use the
information.

BTW, over the years I've developed various brake problems. I've always
fixed them rather easily. Always!

Actually Frank, I gave him very valid advice. I told him that, "If you
can't fix them take them to someone that can", which he ignores
completely.

I came across a quote that may apply. "The intelligent person knows
that he doesn't know everything. The fool knows that he does."
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 16, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote:

The facts are that none of us have a non-working brake between the lot
of us - of any type,

Yet no one was capable of giving the correct answer - so I hope for
your
sake, they don't develop a problem.

I haven't seen any evidence that you can tell the correct answer from
a wrong answer. IOW, last I heard, your brakes still don't work.

The last you heard - I'd given up on getting the right answer from a
bunch of idiots.

Did you fix your brakes? If so, when?

Its "good enough", I started backing out the balance screws instead of
"hilting" the one that needs the most return force.

Maybe put the spring in the middle hole when I get around to doing the post
winter service.

Old May 11th 16, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote:

The facts are that none of us have a non-working brake between the lot
of us - of any type,

Yet no one was capable of giving the correct answer - so I hope for your
sake, they don't develop a problem.

I haven't seen any evidence that you can tell the correct answer from a
wrong answer. IOW, last I heard, your brakes still don't work.

At this point, the odds are good that you've been given the correct
answer, perhaps multiple times, and have failed to successfully use the
information.

BTW, over the years I've developed various brake problems. I've always
fixed them rather easily. Always!

Actually Frank, I gave him very valid advice. I told him that, "If you
can't fix them take them to someone that can", which he ignores
completely.

Most of the shops round here are just like you - swap out everything to get
one faulty part, and present a massive bill.

I've identified the cause - only one person here suggested anything even in
the right general direction.